Pad hardness and the difference it makes.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Rob.K, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Plaz-CRM

97.9%
  2. Plaz-spanish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Monty Milk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Koxx Bloxx

2.1%
  1. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I know "what's the best pad" has come up a few times but I have a slightly different question.
    I heard a few people say that the coust pads are a very hard compound, the same with Koxx Bloxx. So how do you get better stopping power out of a harder pad. Doesn't that not make sense.
    Meanwhile there are the ever popular CRM's, which do work really well right??? And they are a soft compound. So are they better than those harder pads??
    Now obviously the soft compound wears down quicker than the hard one but does the harder pad like Koxx bloxx work as well??
    I am looking for the pad that will work the best with a good grind, for dry conditions and for maggies.
    Just trying to get things straight, as I have tried none of these pads and want to make the right decision when buying them.
    Thanks

2. pav

pav New Member

why does harder pads not give better stopping power?
    with a grind anything would give good stopping power, just because most things that you know of that are sticky are soft doesnt mean that all things sticky are soft

im sure someone can think of an example for me because i cant at the moment

pav

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

you'd think that softer pads would conform to the ridges on the grind, stopping you better.

don't ask me, i use tar :greddy:

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I have S-Fly's on my HS33's....sometimes I wonder if I'de be better off with just the regular Plaz CRM pads, considering they're softer.

I got them cause in Florida, the humity is usually around 60-90%, so it's like you're breathing water....maybe I was just a dumbass, and the HOT humidity doesn't really matter cause the pads are meant for "wet" conditions, and I shoulda just got the regular CRM.... :dunno:

5. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

nope rong... rear the shit tim has on his website about brake pads.

6. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

yup I am correct, I was talking about on a grinded rim.

7. atypical

atypical Guest

I bought KOXX BLOXX b/c webcyc was out of CRM's, they work awesome on my deep groove grind, even in the wet they're good enough to have confidence on rear.

8. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i have had koxx bloxx ware down waay faster than any crm on a grind. so you are still rong :rolleyes:

9. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Excuse me I guess I was wrong, but that is why I started this cause I know shit about pads.

How long did the Bloxx last in comparison to the CRM's?

Thanks.

10. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

like i had koxx bloxx for about 3 months and i felt liek getting new ones. but i have used a pair of crms for like 8 months and they are still good and that is with a grind.

11. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

It's pretty much been stated, but I'll go into a little more depth as to why a harder compound should work just as well, if not better than a soft compound.

Yes a soft compound will conform more to the rim surface, so you will get a better bite. However, the further you get away from the rim surface, all that soft compound is doing is providing unwanted flex/shear.

A hard compound won't bite as well, but it also won't shear away.

Same as bike and car tires. High performance tires use soft rubber on the tread for better traction, but retain a stiff sidewall so the tire doesn't flex, fold, or shear; any of which would reduce traction.

But since it's harder to effectively make a brakepad out of two materials, it's a compromise. An ideal brake pad would have just a thin layer of soft material on a very hard backing (like a CRM with only a mm of pad and thick metal backing) but that would only last for so long.

Otherwise, without a grind you're probably best off with softer. With a grind, it's your choice, though I opt for harder compounds, leting the grind provide the lockup and the stiffer brake pad reducing the shearing effect.

12. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Thanks a lot Darkside that is excactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again. :D

13. Cole

Cole New Member

My koxx bloxx had worn maybe a quarter of the available pad in three months with light grinds and 2 hours/day riding, then I went through the entire rest of the pads in one week with the harshest grind you've ever seen and wet conditions. I sincerely doubt that the koxx bloxx are harder than the plaz pads. Plaz pads seem like they don't wear at all. They're useless in Oregon where it's either wet or dusty.

14. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

crm material is about mid 60 durrometer. bloxx are about 90-95 durrometer. spanish flies are about low 80's. this is what i have heard.