Pace/ Club roost..!? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by SQuiT-man, Apr 19, 2004.

1. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Hi there!
    I want a long, strong, lightweight trials fork that I can use on my giant trials team. At the moment im using fattys, which are 400mm long, whereas the frame is designed for the 410mm giant forks. Because im not that tall a guy, so cant lean that far off the back of the bike, and also because the frame is designed for slightly longer forks, I really struggle 2 manual, and because I can barely pick up the front, it really puts me off learning to manual because its so much effort.
    Im thinking about getting pace experts (435mm long- a lot longer, making it a lot easier to pull up into a manual), but the other choice is club roost trials forks, which I think also look really nice, quite light, and very long:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks+Rigid&ModelID=2196

Which do you think I should get, and is it worth it?
    I want to turn my bike into an easy-to-manual machine for street.
    Does anyone kno what the club roosts are like compared to the pace forks? Or lengths and weigh of the club roost fork?

Cheers,
    Scott

2. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

If you want to raise the front end of your bike, the cheapest way to do so would be to use a higher volume tire. It would have a similar effect in that it would change your head angle slightly, raise the front end and will have a very small effect on your BB height.

3. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Well I think the 435mm fork will be too long for a bike designed for a 410mm fork. Putting a long fork like this will screw up your geometry. I advise against it.

I suppose you could go with a 420mm fork.

Here are your options in the 420mm length:

Planet X Knifen light- super strong but a bit heavy. it is about 2.5 pounds.

Echo Pure fork- light, strong comes insilver only.

and others............
    I would go with the Echo pure fork. Best all around fork.

4. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

hmmmm.. how much is the echo pure?
    wouldnt the weight of the planet X kniefens make it just as hard to manual?
    does the extra 25mm make enough difference to screw up the geometry? because I had a sus fork on my old setup (later changed to a rigid) which was around 460mm long, and that was acceptable.

5. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

yes 435mm is enough to screw up the geo. Trust me.

Echo Pure fork is $175 Canadian. A good price.

here is a pic.................

[​IMG]

6. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

dude 2.5 lbs is not heavy for a fork. I mean you get peace of mind with what half a pound (if that) more weight that the snap happy brisa forks? Give me the PX superlight, you can take death.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

he wants it to be a manualing machine....

Get the planet x superlight knifen, in the longer configuration. Make sure you have a fairly short, and high rise stem- with some riser bars. The higher your set up is the easier it will be to manual. I don't know what kind of bar/stem set up you have but that makes a huge difference. Hell, just three 1/4" wide spacers on my stem is the difference between being able to pull the front end up without a kick and it staying planted on the ground.

However the ideal way to get your bike to be a manualing machine is to sell it and buy a bmx :)

8. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

dude, just learn to pull up harder!?

9. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Or get a BMX bike.

I have one and they rock for manualling.

Really high bars.

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

(pssst- rob)

11. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I know I agree with you I just didn't want to quote your sentance cause I wanted to put it in my own words.

Is that okay with you? :D

12. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Nope 'fraid not! I do trials and street, but for some reason Im not keen on bmx. Ive got the 410mm forks from giant (only 10mm longer), but might be able to have another 20mm spacing on the steerer. Would that make a massive difference or not? For me at the moment it is impossible to lift the front up sufficiently. Its not just about pulling up harder, no1 i know apart from big guys can bunnyhop or lift my bike up into a manual because the front must be too low or something. How much is $170 canadian in £ sterling? By the time the extra weight of the kniefens on the front is added, would it really be worth buying them to improve manualling?

13. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Canadian dollar is one 3rd of a pound so 55 ..........60 pounds for the Pure fork. Plus it will look way better than the knifen on that Giant.

You can put one spacer as well!!

Good luck.

14. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Does anyone know where you can buy an Echo pure fork in England?? Also, are they strong enough? Im not a heavy rider, but I may want to learn nosehops at some stage.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

cleanbikes.co.uk? i donno, there are like 0289435802347 bike shops in thge uk

16. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Nah they only seem to sell monty stuff

17. Evant

Evant Guest

shop your local, not the online shops :slap:

18. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

My local doesnt sell them either :(
    If i was to buy and fit pace 435mm forks, what effects would it have to my bike, in what ways?
    im guessing it would be much better to lift up into a manual or bunnyhop, but how would longer forks effect endos, pivoting, etc?