Outside Wedges.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hydroboy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

[​IMG]

ok i have this bit pretty dialed, i can balance for a fair while, but once the object gets small i cant go to rear from this position, i can do it when i only have a slight wedge but when it starts getting big i have no idea, it just doesnt work. if anyone can do this like the cous bros and found anythign that realy helped quickly let me know :Wavey: [/img]

2. Elan

Elan steve french

you go to rear like ontop on the box, or d oyou go over the box from that position?

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

he means go to rear on top of the box

nice bike by the way :bigthumb:

4. Cole

Cole New Member

Do you mean when the object becomes very small in width it just doesn't work? If so, what width are you having problems with? It seems to me the only way to do them is to jump straight up from both wheels and throw your rear wheel to the center of the object. Check at 1:30 in the coustellier video.

5. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

which cous vid? ill check them out. i can do them from picnic tables and stuff but when it gets smaller... hard shit. i konw thats how you do them, but i just cant get all the timing right etc.

6. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

It would be like a lunge wouldn't it? Well. A technique that's helped me(though I'm still not very good at it).
    Bend forwards. Putting your chest as close to the handlebars as you can. Also bend your legs a little. Then throw your upper body up(and maybe a little bit backwards.) and shoot your hips towards the handlebars. Then just throw the bike up there(with all your might. It's heavy and difficult). Try to do it so that if you didn't have a bike you would land on your back.

7. cck

cck Member

i've also been recently been working on that move, and heres what helps me. preload a very very small amount before you spring up. basically try and unweight the bike and pull it up instead of pushing down and rebounding up. pushing down will screw you up, so try and do it as lightly as possible. on the small stuff i've found you have to let go of the brakes, but if you dont time it right you will fall. i release them right as i'm pulling up on the bike. otherwise, on small objects with a huge wedge, there is just too much resistance and the tires are too grippy on the object.
    hope this helps a wee bit.

8. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Badass head angle on that bike BTW.

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I do it like a combination of what Coramoor and cck said. You can't preload much because if you do push down, the bike is likely to slide further down the object or your front wheel may turn a bit and then you're really screwed. You can hop, but not too big, because hopping will force the bike downward. I do about half a hop and pull the bike up into me, shooting the rear forward and the front (handlebars) I pull in, around the chest to face area. You'll be squatting pretty low over the bike when you land on the rear tire. Releasing the brakes like cck said will definitely help, just make sure your timing is on :).

Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

10. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

If you want to go to rear you have to jump up vertical a lot as you apply your pedal kick. If you don't you will fall and spilt little stick man skull open. However if you don't have to go to rear there is a move to get off of this.

Robbins P Thunder tought me something that works badass in this position, if you are just looking to roll off the object. (btw, he is butta at this)

I can't really explain the technique that well but just think of the end result of your rear tire manualing across/down and off the object. I just get my front tire as far foward as possible without falling off the object then I preload by bending my arms and sucking my chest into the bars. Then explode up and out and let go of your brakes. Use your rear brake to apply quick modulation if need be and your off. Practice on something with a downhill slant to get the feel for it, then eventually it becomes a natural move in this position.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I haven't read any posts, but I'm hoping you aren't using brakes when balancing in that position. If you are, stop.

12. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Wow.. No brakes.. That sounds uber difficult.. Is this one of those things I should do to become better or does it make this move easier?

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

become better.

14. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Ok.. Then I'll try to actually make the move before doing it without brakes..

15. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Brakes make you stick to the edges.When you hop you will move and your bike will stay.Stickman will die! :weak:

16. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i can hold teh positon with and without brakes but when it comes to jumping up i feel i need them, ill give it a try.

17. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

Yes in fact no one should ever use brakes while riding trials. If you feel the need to that just means you suck and need to get better.

18. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

:werd: brakeless it totaly the way to go :ugh2:

19. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

get me a vid of you doing one of these, i mean the goin to backwheel part, without brakes and ill think about it. although i agree with you doing moves brakeless is good.

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

yeah nice post as thats what I implied, oh wait no not at all you dipshit.

the embodyment of derf.

and hyrdo boy i dont wnat to put any videos out ever again. you can all die.