Online wheel builders?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Art Vandelay, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

I'm finally ready to jump to the rear Chris King hub and am looking for a wheel builder. Locally would be ideal, but online would be fine. I live in a suburb of Chicago and have called the shops in the area and none have much experience with Chris King hubs which makes me want to stay away. I'll be having it laced to an Alex dx32 rim. Speedgoat offers custom built wheels for a decent price, but I haven't heard much about the quality. Anyone have any experience with any online builders? Anyone know of any local (Chicago) builders that would be a better option?

Thanks
    Scott

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I can't speak about the chicago local builders, but I know webcyclery does wheelbuilding and they do all the good king stuff. They can put a steel drive shell on it and carry dx32 rims. As long as they have the hub in stock I'd wager they could get one out really quick.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

I heard colorado cyclist does good wheels, but I only heard that about their road stuff. maybe afrobot knows, he works there or something?

4. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Webcyclery for sure.

5. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I looked into webcyclery about a month ago about king hubs and was told it might be quite awhile, though that was a month ago. I'd say it's worth a shot, the price wasn't awful either.

6. nidoss

nidoss Guest

ya webcyclery.com I hear Meantodd makes a pretty good wheel. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing, but the last few times ive checked webcyclery was out of the king hubs and didnt have the steel drive shell either.

7. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I got a wheel from webcyclery. It's good, I've never had to true it or anything.

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea, I too have heard Webcyclery builds a good wheel, but Chris King recently made their pricing policies stricter and higher. Apparantly Webcycelry was selling CK stuff too low and they took away their right to sell or something. This was kinda a problem with online sellers and CK reissued this contract to shops/sellers making them promise to sell CK shit at this price. Whatever, their stuff is worht it.

9. Elan

Elan steve french

i am not impressed with anything meantodd has built.... i am not saying anything bad about webcyclery..but i think you would be better off sending your wheel somewhere or going into a good shop and having it built where somebody has the time to do it right.

10. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i dont see how having experience with king hubs is relivent

11. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Its relevant if he wants the drive shell swapped out. I had a problem finding local shops that would service a King hub, so I ended up buying the hub tool and doing it my self.

I bought a wheelset from Speedgoat.com a couple years ago and they did a great job. I don't think the DX-32 is listed as one of the standard rims that they carry, but they could probably order one and have it within a couple days.

12. digby

digby New Member

Dr Von Nostrom: "what exactly do you do Mr Van Delay"
    VanDelay: "I am an architecht, and you Dr Von Nostrom, where do you practice?"
    Dr Von NOstrom: "the meyer hoffer brinker clinic, its in sweden"

Seinfeld rules.

Back to topic, I dont think he mentioned anything about a steel drive shell. Aside from that, building up a king hub is not a lot different than building up a normal hub. Aside from the fact that after you build the wheel, king suggests you re-tighten the hub, just need 2 5mil allens for that.

Ask some roadies for a good place to get your wheels built. If you see a spoke tensionometer there, your in good luck. Roadie shops dont know shit about trials, but they do know how to measure spokes properly, and build a strong evenly tensioned wheel. Keeping even spoke tension is probably the most important thing when it comes to building a wheel. And roadies are a lot bitchier about this than a downhill guy thats going to be doing 15-20 ft drops will be. So find a good roadie shop if you want well built wheels.

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

Well I ordered the wheel. Couldn't wait for the stainless, but I'll be using a full casette for the time being. Thanks for the replies.

14. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

If you wan't to go to the trouble to send it to colorado.It would be about $50for one wheel including Dt str8 g.spokes,labour ,and return shipping.And aboots $100 fer two. I may hate this place but we do build some super tough wheels.Damn thats not a very cheap deal.

If your pockets are overflowing with money call me at 1-800-688-8600 ext 117
    I'll be here all weekend.You can prank call me and tease me about working weekends too.

15. B1105

B1105 New Member

baha do you get a lot of prank calls from little kiddies?

16. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Mostly serious calls from disturbed roadies.One guy told me he lined his helmet with aluminum foil to keep the black helicopters from reading his mind.Anothr guy requested Campy record on a Santa Cruz V-10 .I thought it was a joke but he gave his card # and it charged.The card was stolen though.The best goon would require pages to tell .I'll spare you all.

17. B1105

B1105 New Member

bhaha, i sold a kids bike with like "flames" on the seat. the mother called me later that day and said she wanted a new seat because her son was afriad his ass would get burned from the "flames"

18. average mike

average mike Guest

ahahahahahahah what a flamer

19. Manning

Manning LA Trials Knights

Dude, i'll build your wheel for $30. I have run king hubs on my road, mod, stock bikes, but the make of hub doesnt make a different. I use all park tools, ts-7, wag-3, tm-1, locktite blue med, etc. Just send the correct length spokes because i'm finding variations in DX32 rim EDRs and ISOs.