Old school C'dale "Beast of the East" help

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RocketJS, Dec 21, 2014.

1. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

Recently came into possession of '96 Cannondale "Beast of the East" and would like to start learning some trials.

[​IMG]

Will this thing work as it is setup?

2. jnthebiker

jnthebiker Always Riding

WOW, that's a beauty! Put down the seat and ride! :)

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

That stem!

If I were you I'd swap the front tire with the back.

4. NateE

NateE wtflol

Will do just fine.

5. PMK

PMK New Member

FWIW, I have a 93 BOTE as my single speed. These bikes were the bike of choice in the early 90's with the guys I rode with.

The frames are known to crack at the seatpost clamp area, especially around the tube starting at the slot. My own bike had a cracked frame. I wound up modifiying it and the seat post is now bolted in and the frame will need to crack somewhere else, hopefully it wont.

It's a fun bike, have fun. Don't plan on a any long distances with it, truly hard on the lower back as they are a pretty stiff frame.

Want to add, do some homework on the fork. Cannondale had a big recall on I think Pepperoni forks back then. The steerer tubes would fail without warning. Not sure of the details but look into it to prevent a serious injury.

PK

6. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

THEDEMOLITIONMAN There can only be one DMAN

If you ever get the chance, watch "Libor Karas The Bouncing Czech" starring Libor Karas.He rides the beast of the east in the video, that was guy was amazing back in the day.Youtube him, you can find clips of him on Conan doing demos and some of the video he made as well.The beast of the east was a really cool bike for bike in the day, I remember trying one out.

thedman

7. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

It won't fit.:(

8. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

I should probably get a shorter one. That one is ~175mm 30 degree thing, I think.
    I'm 5'6" . What size should I try next? I've go a 145mm 25 degree and a 120 mm 25 degree and a 60mm 35 degree (I think).

9. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into it.

10. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

CRAZY!!! CRAZY MAN!!!

Nice bike tho!

11. dkoppric

dkoppric New Member

I had two of them. Loved them both.

That fork is the P-bone, not the pepperoni. The pepperoni has some sweep to it. I did crack one P-bone trying some hooks. Replaced it with a second P-bone and didn't have any problems.

12. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

THEDEMOLITIONMAN There can only be one DMAN

P-Bones were sought after forks back then, I think I still have one hanging around some where..

thedman

13. DUNDERHED

DUNDERHED Member

I would try the 120mm or the 60mm.

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

Ideally you'd probably put a 100mm by 5-10 degree on there.

Chop the side knobs off the tire if it will allow you to get it in the frame. It'll be worthwhile for the traction.

15. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

I tried a 120mm 20 degree but my knees kept hitting my hands when I was doing any tight turning.

I measured the width of the Chainstays; it's only 60mm. the sidewalls of the front tire is like 58 on the narrow rim. On the wide rim it's bigger and it just won't fit. Trimming the side knobs off just won't work.

The rear tire is a 26x2.25 that is ~55mm wide on that rim. there ain't much room there.

Does maxxis make a narrower tire with the sticky rubber?

16. dkoppric

dkoppric New Member

find an el gato, will fit the era and the frame...

17. RocketJS

RocketJS New Member

Well that's what is on there right now and it just fits by the hair on a gnats ass.