Official: Knife Thread

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by unibikeling, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Ramrod

Ramrod My body is ready.

Ahh fair enough. Legit enough reason

I thought you were some city doogie boy

2. jnthebiker

jnthebiker Always Riding

Nah. Can't stand anything bigger than a large town. I feel too confined. Been allowed to have knives for ages. My dad gave me my first swiss army knife a little before I turned 2 as I was so responsible. (It was a mini one, razor sharp though), got my first bowie at 7-8 with countless folding knives in between. Got 2 machetes at the age of 10, and since then, the limits are pretty much off, if I have a good use for it, I can usually have it. As pretty much anything I could want is less dangerous than a machete, the only thing my parents say is that they'd rather I not get combat knives. I have no use for them anyway haha.

Attached a picture of the bowie I've been looking at. Only 14 inches over all, but priced quite low. Has anyone here used one of the winchester "huge" Bowie's? If yes, what do you think?

Attached Files:

3. riderdad

riderdad Old punk

More important than the amount of knives you own is how sharp you keep them. One properly maintained blade is better than one hundred dull/abused blades.

EVERY knife I own, which is prolly way to many, is hair popping sharp. I have several kits for sharpening each type of edge profile. Even my axes have razor sharp edges.

4. jnthebiker

jnthebiker Always Riding

Definitely. I currently don't have any Bowie's, I end up losing them in the woods sometimes, and I think someone stole a few last year. Just folders and machetes. I don't buy something unless I need it, and this seems like the time.

5. riderdad

riderdad Old punk

Check this retailer out. All knives are inspected to weed out supplier quality issues at no extra charge, and they will profile the edge to razor sharp for a couple bucks. They also deal in reasonably priced blades made from great steel. May be my favorite online knife dealer.

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/topsellers.html

6. jnthebiker

jnthebiker Always Riding

Ok thanks. I'll take a look :)

7. riderdad

riderdad Old punk

Good stuff. No overpriced boutique blades or movie set ornamental crap. Just good working mans blades and edged tools.

8. jnthebiker

jnthebiker Always Riding

Looks quite good. I'll look more there :) thanks again.

9. :noes::noes::noes::coold:

Attached Files:

10. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI45mc7hVo8[/ame]

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

12. riderdad

riderdad Old punk

I've been drooling over microtech stuff lately, just can't pony up the $300 for the jigged bone version I'm lusting after.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Watched a few YouTube videos... Reviewing guys look like they pine over it and all were high school football players who peaked at 18 and hate how their lives have shaped up to be... But a $300+ bad ass trigger knife will help them in "tactical situations" because it looks sooo cool and is collectable. If you are a soldier/really need it quickly in a life or death situation I can see it being worth it. For a civilian edc :ugh: seems like an old fat bald guy who buys a red corvette.

14. A good benchmade is in the $200s, so what's a few extra bucks.

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:dunno:

Don't even know what a bench made is. Not even sure I would want that flip out knife in an apocalyptic situation- and do any soldiers even use their knives in combat these days? Only flip out I have is my opinel and I'm sure it gets more use in the last 3 years than if I had that $300 "I wish my dick was bigger and can't wait to stick a terrorist" knife. For $300 I would rather pick three or five knives for different uses. To me they are just tools, my ideal; a big strong BK7($80) for camping (chopping wood, insurgents heads off), a nice sharp/shaped Buck($50) for skinning/hunting/fishing, a fixed easy access light morakniv($14) for gardening/man work, and an opinel($12) for kitchen/travel/foraging. I have more knives but those are my favorites and cost about $160 combined.

If someone gave me that semper fi knive if sell it on eBay and pay for gas to get me way out in the woods... But boys n their toys, if it makes you happy that's awesome.

16. Meh, to each their own.

17. riderdad

riderdad Old punk

High end knives make as much sense as high end bike parts. The technology in the design of high end products drives "advancement" and eventually trickles down to the mid/low end products. If I were a single dentist/chiropractor/lawyer and had disposeable income, I'd be in my corvette cleaning my nails with a microtech after a ride on my custom built $15,000 mtb. However, since my income is more of an outcome, I'm forced to shop for bargan products, but I still like to drool over the latest and greatest on the market.

On the flip side, bargain sharps like the ones Andy mentioned are my faves. Nothin like showing up a Benchmade, Turly, Wolf Creek Forge or Alan Wood with my $15 Mora HD.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  18. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

I recently purchased a mora, within 40 seconds of opening the box I got online and ordered five more. Awesome knives for short cash.

19. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

Two sub $20. Must haves.
    Cold Steel roach belly and Canadian belt knife

Attached Files:

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Which one do you prefer?.. Aka which one should I try?

Canadian looks different...