Nobody's coming to our WI comp on saturday?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BWolfe, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BWolfe

BWolfe New Member

Haven't gotten a single email or phone call. Guess I haven't been doing enough promoting.

Anyway, this Saturday's comp (6/26) at Devil's Head Ski Area in Merrimac, WI is still on. If nobody shows up we're just gonna set it up and demo for the cross country racers. Of coursre, if you want to show up then email me at [email protected] or call my cell at 415-832-2650.

This will be a low-key fun comp. The 2-day biketrial September 18/19 in Baraboo, WI will be more intense. They have a lot of nice natty rocks in Baraboo. It's only about 5 miles from the Merrimac comp, but Merrimac doesn't have quite the terrain..

Baraboo will be 2-day, free primitive camping and I think I can get us into the saturday night steak dinner for a few bucks each. Only a few miles from the Wisconsin Dell's many tourist traps (including excellent go-carts.. a saturday night go-cart championship may be necessary..) Still haven't settled the insurance, but I'll figure that out. I'm working on a site for the september comp now.

--
    Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
    Senior Support Engineer, Macromedia
    Flash Senior Escalation Engineer

Owner, BIKETRIAL MIDWEST (formerly TEAM MEGAMO MIDWEST)
    Webmaster: http://www.wisconsintrials.org http://www.madisonmotorcycleclub.org http://www.megamousa.com

2. DaleM

DaleM Guest

That sucks! I am really sorry to see you are getting such a poor response.

People complain there are not enough comps or get togethers, then, when there is one they do not show an interest.

Wish I could make it but I am a poor bike shop employee with Lake Michigan keeping me from driving straight there.

Good luck.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I would suggest you maybe...uh....tell people about it more than 2 days in advance.

bwolfe- can you suggest any good flash books?

4. BWolfe

BWolfe New Member

I posted it to the midwest forum 2 months ago (and to biketrials.com and trials-online.com in the appropriate forums.) So it's been up. We just haven't been promoting it as much as we will the september 2 day..

Dale, maybe you can get to the 2 day in September. It's worth the trip. And if we can't get you this year we'll hope to see you in 2005 for the full Biketrial Midwest Championship Series (and we've got Sam and Isaac from Indiana on board for an IN comp, and Squirrel is joining us with Freakmagnet/TBF.. )

Good flash books. Go search for 'books' on http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash

Bentley

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

No need to be a dick :rolleyes:

If you had any interest in letting anyone know outside of the midwest you could've simply posted in in here...no one reads bt or trials-online (at least no one worth a damn).

6. BWolfe

BWolfe New Member

Huh? What are you talking about?

Bent

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:hsugh:

You would think the Senior Support Engineer of Macromedia would have a bit of a better answer than that.

8. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

You're not paying him for support... no one likes to work for free. I'm not taking sides, I just think of these things cause everyone wants me to fix their computers.

Bill

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

what the flying fuck are you talking about?

He works for macromedia, hes the senior escalation engineer...I'd assume he could take the .0000054 seconds to write 14 characters down in a post ie the name of a book, would've been faster in fact than writing out a hyperlink etc...I wasn't asking him how to do something, just the name of a book.

10. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I agree that for a fellow trialser I would have taken the time to suggest a book or two and written a comment about them, but not everyone is the same and maybe he hates his job? If I hated my job I wouldn't want to talk about it in my free time. I can't stand it when people ask me computer questions.

Anyhow, this is going nowhere, now I'm making assumptions about Bentley (w00t w00t) and his job. No offense meant to Bentley, you're just being used as an example :?

Bill

11. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I think its ashame no ones coming to your comp on saturday. I can picture a lonely trialser sitting next to a comp rig with no riders and being all sad. I know thats not the picture, but it feels good to pitty people. On the other hand im sure people will turn up, just give them free young cat for the winner.Hohoho.

12. BWolfe

BWolfe New Member

Dude... you need to rethink your expectations of what 'technical support' means.

What good does it do me to give you the name of the book, when, with the same amount of typing I can teach you how to FIND THE RESOURCES YOURSELF!

I've been doing this for 9 years. I just did you a favor and you don't even realize it. 80% of the Flash questions you might have area answered on the link I gave you.

After a few years you have to learn to streamline the way you help people in this business, otherwise you burn out and have to go work at McDonald's. How many pieces of advice do you have to give before that happens?

The answer is 10,600 (the number of flash threads I've been involved in:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=%22Bentley%20Wolfe%22&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&as_ugroup=*flash*&lr=&hl=en

Speaking of which, that's another way you can find help. Use the flash forums. That's what they're for!

Bent

13. klophaus

klophaus Guest

Bickering aside, I've been messing around with flash a bit and found Bill Drol's Object Oriented Flash MX to be one of the better books. Most flash books just show you how to create one time special effects or movies that you can't really reuse, seems they're kind of missing the point of object oriented programming and steer pretty clear of the actionscripting. This book is pretty much dedicated to creating/reusing classes using inheritence and polymorphism. Time better spent than making some blob move across the screen.

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Just to tell you where I'm coming from- bentley I had ZERO questions about how to do anything....I had one question, a good general book on flash. Case in point:

I'm riding trials, a person riding a different bike ask me if I know any good resources for trials. Do I tell them " go to this website www.google.com and type in 'trials bikes' and see what you get"? No, because that would be being a dick. I would just say www.observedtrials.net .

I would assume your many years of experience would come up with one book that was known to be better than the others, and if not you could simply say "they are all kind of the same" and leave it at that. I honestly don't care though, klophaus thanks for taking 20 seconds to help me. Hopefully you won't be working at mcdonalds soon (or something? :ugh: )

15. BWolfe

BWolfe New Member

Tell you what.. Although I disagree with your assessment of what being a dick is, I gave this a lot of thought yesterday and going back and forth calling each other names over and over isn't helpful or healthy.

So.. I've got several good books on Flash MX (not MX 2004) that I seldom use. Throw me $5 each plus shipping and you can have them (or any combination of them)

They include:
    "ActionScript for Flash MX: The Definitive Guide" by genious Colin Moock
    Amazon.com: ActionScript for Flash MX: The Definitive Guide, Second Edition (9780596003968): Colin Moock: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51ki7t8mt8L

"Flash MX Upgrade Essentials: by Sham Bhangal

Visual Quickpro Guide: "Macromedia Flash Advanced.." by Russel Chun

Visual Quickstart Guide: "Macromedia Flash for Windows & Macintosh" by Katherine Ulrich

Macromedia Flash MX ActionScripting Advanced Training from the Source

Bentley