no rim eyelets?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by CoppellStereo, Oct 13, 2004.

1. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

I got a DX32 for a friend today in the mail, and it has no eyelets. I know we could still build the wheel without them, but how would I go about putting eyelets in them?

2. netto

netto New Member

tis fine most dx's dun have eyelets

3. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

I'm pretty sure eyelets can only be done during the manufacturing process. I have never heard of anyone putting in eyelets themselves.

4. willapaj

willapaj New Member

yeah it's weird... some DX32's have eyelets (mine does), some don't... I wouldn't worry about it though. You'll probably flatspot the rim before you pull spokes out. But if you're really worried, I've heard of people putting washers between the nipple and the rim (on the "inside" of the rim)

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if you pull a spoke nipple through a dx-32 you will have blown the wheel up anyways. eyeletes make a big difference on things like road wheels where the rotational load/unload causes a rediculous amount of stress over time and will cause little hbairline stress fractures in the rim around the nipple if there isnt an eyelete. with trials we smash our rims to death before something like this ever becomes an issue.

6. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

my new thing is killing brand new back wheels.

7. SHiRLEY_CHiZEM

SHiRLEY_CHiZEM New Member

you can also use washers if you want ta be ole skoo..

8. freeridercam

freeridercam le Tall

*cough* No shit, really?

9. mad uni rider

mad uni rider Guest

I know a guy who drilled his own eyelets and it worked out fine you just gotta take your time

10. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

nice, my friend was too in of a hurry to build is rim since he just got his frame in, so he went no eyelets