New trials bike needed!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by nicholarse, Sep 27, 2004.

1. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

Now you propbaby get this question all the time but please bare with me.

My current trials bike is a stock but it seems to be falling apart so instead of chucking more money into it I've decided to buy a new trials bike.

The problem is I'm a bit skint after laying out nearly £2k for another bike. Anyway my budget is £600 max so I'm all up for buying second hand. Now before now I was assuming I'll just replace my old bike with another stock 26" one. However due to the low budget and the fact that I will just be riding this bike for trials (no street/urban or need to commute to places to ride) I started thinking maybe getting a mod.

Now will I regret buying a mod? I don't have the oppertunity to try one out before I buy but I guess I'll just get used to it. Trials always looks easier on a mod over a stock but is this actually the case? (I know rolling over things etc will be harder on a mod)

And finally what should I be looking at(mods&stocks)? I'm looking for something really nice and light (my friend just got a giant team trials martin hawyes sig frame and it is so light!) Oh, I'm also getting on for 6,2' but am quite light.

Thanks, Nick

2. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

with the stock over mod question i would say in my own prefrence i like the mods ive ridden some stock but i find myslef more comfortable on the mod and there usually lighter than the stocks but its all in personal prefrence

3. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

Right well I'm going to go Mod. I've narrowed it down to either a Zoo! Python or a Echo Team. Which one is better? Am I likely to find one second hand good condition within my price range?

Thanks.

4. sebLG

sebLG New Member

2000 POUNDS?? :eek3danc: how did you spend that much on a stock trials bike? thats like $6K AUD or something. oh well. on the topic of which mod bike, i like the echo team alot better than the python, but its up to you.

-is anyone going to flame me for posting?

5. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

It wasn't a stock trials bike. It was a freeride hardtail. lol, 2k on a trials bike - now that would be one sweet ride. I prefer the echo team but heard that they break quite easily? Also when do the 05 eacho's come out? And would I be able to pick one of these up second hand in good cond for £600 do you think?

thanks.

6. sebLG

sebLG New Member

echo teams never break.

7. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

If I'm understanding this right... you're wondering when next year's bike will come out, and then wondering for how much you'll be able to pick up a used one (which has yet to come out)?

8. fatmike

fatmike New Member

Yes they do. Lol.

Numerous people crack them. Drive side, bb-chainstay.

And although £2000 is one hell of alot of money for a stock trials bike (yes i know he bought a freeride bike), it could all add up with a koxx xtp, kings etc etc.

After riding numerous pythongs and teams, the python's definately ride better, and if you do decide to fork out for a new one (hopefully available in the uk within a month), judging on your size, i'd definately go for the "Craig lee scott" version, which is alot longer then the new 2005 YaoZhi shorter one.

However since you're on a budget, have a look at the top end onzas, the new 2005 t-mag looks very nice, has a great spec, and should be just under your budget.

If you do want to go 2nd hand, trials-forum.co.uk has a much larger percentage of english users than on here, so you're more likely to find something closer to home.

Mike. :)

9. besham

besham Guest

I would be very careful buying a second hand trials bike. Most people beat the hell out of them, and most are only good for a couple of years. Beginers might even do more damage to a frame than sport or expert riders. Personally I would rather buy a cheap new frame before a nicer used one. Every trials frame will break eventually, and most of the parts will break or wear out too. Honestly though I have no idea what E600 is worth in dollars, so get the best you can for the money.

10. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

£600 is about $1080US/$1375CAD.

If not second hand how is the Onza X-Lite? I wreckon I could stretch to £700 for new.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  11. jobottDMB

jobottDMB New Member

I dont know about where you live but in the US you can get either the echo team or zoo python brand new for 1000 USD with great parts. Both bikes are great choices but I would say at your height the python might be the better choice. I'd check for more local online shops where you live and see how much a new mod would cost you and think about that.

12. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

In the UK they are at least £1000

What are the postage charges like if one imports one from the US? Do you pay customs on it?

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I don't know a single person in my 'circle' who has ridden the same bike for 2 years, that would be nuts.

14. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

Andrew you saying I should get second hand bike?

Anyone know if trialsin.com ship to the UK?

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

No, every bike is different. Me riding a bike for a year is the same abuse as some people riding for 12 minutes- just have to see how the rider rides. I'm sure trialsin would ship, but i twould be more expensive i think than getting it in the UK

16. BenR

BenR Active Member

I agree, I bought a used trials bike it was the worst mistake I have ever made. Ive spent over $500 just for new parts because they are alwasy breaking. And right now I'm not riding becasue my bike is broken again.

17. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

do you think it's worth me shelling out £1000 for a new mod? or just stick with an X-lite for £700? I've kinda gone off the idea of second hand now as I don't know the poeple I'd be buying it off therefore how they ride/treated the bike. It's outrageous how we have to pay more than £400 more than you Americans!

If I go for one around £1000 then should I be looking at other bikes. Like a koxx levelboss or something, although i heard they weighed a bit more than other mods. The ZOO! Python sure looks dope though.