New too this forum

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Rob.K, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I am registered at the other forum "Biketrials.com", But this one looks better. I'm registered as TrialsOURY at the other forum but I put my real name up here.
    I've been riding for about a year, and I ride the smallest Cannondale XC frame avilable. It's okay to learn the sport on but I'm gettin a new bike in the summer when I have enough money.
    I see many people are V-brake fans here, so add me to the list. But I use shity XT V-brakes which are falling apart. That leads me to my first question, the linkage in my V's is loose but I could use them if it weren't for the fact that one arm does not go all the way back into place after I let go of the leaver, and I've tightened the spring all the way. So is the spring busted or what????? Meanwhile the other side is just fine which creates a big problem, since the one brake arm goes quicker than the other it pushes my wheel sideways and is probably the reason for my wobbly hub. Anyways do what ya can for me, Thanks.

2. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Welcome to OTN Rob. I too am learning this very cool sport.

Regarding the brakes. Get some new ones when you can. Avids seem to be the norm for V-brake setups around here. As for your issue on adjustment. There should be a long spring that extends from the brake bosses. Just give it a little push in the direction you want the tension. Get it close, and then use the screw adjustement for fine tuning.

I too had a Cannondale... My buddy Jack (MorryJG on this forum) used it. It sucked, but worked. I am selling my PlanetX Zebdi with extra's (including brakes) that would be a better fit for trials than your Cannondale (BTW, you'll break it). Check the Buy/sell portion of the forum.

I'll try to get some pic's up of the brake deal. I just don't remember exactly what the XT's looked like. BigD will know.

3. themonggoose

themonggoose Guest

It could be the parallelogram mechanism is so screwed that it makes the arm too stiff to move. Though they normally just get looser and looser until they fall apart.

If you need extra spring strength from V's in most cases you can just grab the springs in your hand and bend them until it works. Those little grub screws don't always do the job.

As for your wobbly hub I'd say since you thought it was caused by the brakes you should take it to your local bike shop and get them to take a look. Bearing adjustment or replacement could be beyond you. No offense.

4. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

ya I took the hub in a long time ago and they said it would cost $40 to fix cause they needed to buy a new part.

So I'm just riding it till it brakes completely, well actually I am doing that with my whole bike, Haha. This would be the ideal situation: if I broke the brakes, rim,hub and frame all at the same time. Haha.

Then I could get new stuff.

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Welcome rob...you could just pick up a cheapo SD7 to fix your XT problem, the xt levers are pretty nice (very similar to XTR).

I would wish you good luck on breaking that cannondale, but believe me you won't need luck :)

6. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Hey good news my wonderfull father said he would buy me an Avid SD-7 and plaz padsfor the rear. This is going to be a joyous week for me y'all. :D

And I already have XTR leavers and housing so it will be SWEET.

All I'm going to need is some tar after that. I can't grind these rims otherwise I would do that, that is why I wanted to break this part of my bike too. HEHE

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

xtr housing and cables are the best out there...have fun with that set up. I am awaiting Mr. UPS right now for a little something myself...

8. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Hey good news my wonderfull father said he would buy me an Avid SD-7 and plaz padsfor the rear. This is going to be a joyous week for me y'all. :D

And I already have XTR leavers and housing so it will be SWEET.

All I'm going to need is some tar after that. I can't grind these rims otherwise I would do that, that is why I wanted to break this part of my bike too. HEHE

9. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

OOPs posted twice,

Hey Andrew T your not telling us what your wating for is that a secret or something???

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Just some new foam grips, they are sweet ;)

11. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

pics asap of the little something that i doubt is grips lol

12. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Andrew asked me not to share pictures or tell anyone, but I guess the secret is out now. He paid a pretty penny for these special foam grips. Notice the nice contour - it is going to fit his hand like a GLOVE! GOLD Jerry, PURE GOLD!

13. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Nicegrips I've never seen those before. Those must be SOOOOO heavy. :bigthumb:

I'll stick with my red OURY's though.