New to it all..

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Wait, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Wait

Wait Guest

So I've been thinking about getting a trials bike but I have a problem. There is only one shop around me that I know of who sells them. I don't know what size frame I should be looking at or what specs I need to be keeping an eye out for. What are some good sites to check up on... I currently have a Giant NRS 1 (2003) ..frame size 18.5... that really doesn't like what I've been throwing at it. I would rather not break that bike being that it cost more than my first car.. I'm about 5'11 if that helps any.. any suggestions?

I have some video if anyone would want to host em? Nothing quite like I've seen on here but it's a start.

Thx,

-Joe

What's this dudes problem? :joshers:

2. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

I would just buy a used frame that is shorter like a planet x. Ride the hell out of it then once you feel comfortable go to a longer frame that's brand spankin' new.

3. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

what frames does your bike shop have? if you're pretty tall, i pretty much ditto what try all america said. get a PX or something and maybe later depending on riding style get a nice UCI style frame

4. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I may sell my Planet X Frame. Have you built up, or know someone that could build up the bike?

5. Wait

Wait Guest

I'm not ready to buy anything yet... I would want to get the feel for the bike first. The frame is so different compared to what I ride on now that I don't want to make the wrong choice. On an average trail ride I try to hit 15-20 miles.. there really aren't that many long trails by me. I don't think I would be riding the trails bike on any trails being that it doesn't have a seat.. But I was wondering.. When you ride urban how long are your rides. Or do most of you just drop off at a specific place and hit that area? I'm sure I have some more questions but I'm heading to the gym.. thx for your above comments. Oh, can you do any jumps (dirt) with these bikes?

-Joe

6. bigd

bigd Guest

trials rides urban or whatever can last hours, sometimes most of the day. you may not ride more than half a mile, or you might cover 10 miles. depends on the ride and the interests of the group. the idea is that you don't ride constantly like on a trail ride, you make several attempts at some lines, wear yourself out, then chill for a few minutes then try some other lines.

dirt jumps are kinda sketchy on a trials bike, as are a lot of things at speed. trials bikes get to be so specifically designed for static riding, the tires are better used as feet than actual wheels. shit ges really twitchy and odd when you start moving fast. ive seen it done though, but its tricky biznass.