Observed Trials banner
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So this seems to be one of the only dropper posts available for 27.2- are they supposed to have suspension?? They bob up and down? Are these reviewers just re t a r d ed?

Last thing I want is a suspension seatpost. Adding over a pound to ?? have poor pedaling up hill? My favorite thing on steep downhills is to lay my stomach on the seat, ass near the tire.. Unsure how the dropper makes things better ? I have seen people pop helmets onto their heads (eurotrash fabio lyyyyyyyf #bighitsmillionfalowrrs) and i just cant see the reason why everyone says it is absolutely amazing and the best thing to ever happen to biking.

Font Parallel Document Paper Symmetry

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Font Tread Rim Parallel

Font Screenshot Advertising Science

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ah fuck it was showing me a suspension dropper and too many bongs didn’t understand, witn the help of mark w this has been located… Will be my reward for finishing that race

Font Titanium Science

90 or 110 mm? 110 drop you too far for speed times ? buy it before and never ride it till race day?

·
Super Moderator
370 Posts
🤣

New technology strikes again. Never heard of a suspension dropper and would not want to try that. The one i tried had a button on the handlebar that raised and lowered to preset positions. Other than that it was just like a normal post. It was on a newer bike, no idea what size the seatpost was. Maybe you need the hot new 23.538206 seatpost size to fit a good one.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
🤣

New technology strikes again. Never heard of a suspension dropper and would not want to try that. The one i tried had a button on the handlebar that raised and lowered to preset positions. Other than that it was just like a normal post. It was on a newer bike, no idea what size the seatpost was. Maybe you need the hot new 23.538206 seatpost size to fit a good one.
Honestly surprised there isn’t an anal plug seat getting super popular… #downcountry #staypluggedin #analplugtreklyf #whatevergendertheseatwantstobe #nohomo #fullhomo

·
From your head to your fists
6,108 Posts
Chest-on-seat is an outdated way of riding. It makes sense on short bikes with steep head angles to get your weight back so you don't go over the bars, and a way to get your weight lower without lowering your seat, but it's a compromised and restrictive way of riding. It works okay but not perfectly on old bikes, and it just doesn't work at all on new long/slack bikes. You need weight on the front wheel to make the bike corner, and you can't have your ass behind the seat if you want your weight forward.

You've really got to be doing something wrong to go over the bars on a modern bike. You can keep yourself in a central position with a powerful stance, being able to use strong inputs from both your arms and legs, in any terrain. And you can manage your weight distribution and grip more easily without having the terrain affect your weight distribution as much.

I'm surprised you don't value being able to get the seat out of the way, being a trials rider and all.

I don't think you'll like a 29" rear wheel very much. Up front they're good though. Get a 27.5 or a mullet bike.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Not sure where you got the idea of otb ? if my ass goes any lower it’ll be scraping the tire. The trails here are unlike anything I’ve ever seen,

I’m riding a 22 year old xc race frame with a rear disc, the second i try to pedal kick this frame /dosc mount will snap - once the race is done I’ll put one on, and with a new bike I’ll definitely be riding with one.

For how it stands now, adding over a pound to the bike for a ride where I’ll be pushing the bike up a hill for miles it don't sound fun.

“The ability to drop your seat can enhance your confidence and aggressiveness on features by increasing stability, allowing you to lower your center of gravity, rotating your hips more for cornering and giving you more vertical room to move through while you load and unload your bike for jumping and rough terrain.”

I also feel like its spitting in the face of 30 years of learning to shred with a fully extended seat, I am never having troubles because of where my seat is… This bike will not corner like new ones, i think the head angle is nil :)

currently into 29 over 275 , i guess its the same as 700c?? I’ve ridden a 700 23 tire single speed 80s bike on the most aggressive mtb in socal. cant imagine if they were fat tires…

Hard tail for sure- what is this mullet you speak of ? Is that what “mx” means next to frames ? rear 16” front 36” or what?

also what exactly is enduro? Someone tried to explain that only the downhill sections are timed in stages? I thought it was just a race with heavy shit in the trail, is there prize money ? Only for the main mens i assume . It is super popular but everyone i see who does it is just a fat fuck with a super expensive bike and would die without 200mm of travel- another thing, it used to be inches. 4” , 1.5”… 3” 5” Now mms. And no where ANYWHERE are the weights of bikes talked about- I realized it’s because they aren’t timed on any uphill?

How heavy are the newest xc race machines ?? Enduro? Enduros seem to be 30+ pounds unless you pay used car prices for something carbon.

Bikes have gotten way simpler to ride and way heavier. My mind is in 22” flat bars land… dont think i can break away. The new bikes are easily the most offensive looking things ive ever seen.

·
6,108 Posts
My point is, on a modern bike you can't just move your hips behind and below your seat while it's at full height. Your weight will be too far back. It barely works on old steep bikes but it does keep your weight from pitching over the front. On modern bikes you'll just have no front end grip and no "shredding" will happen.

29" rear is good, it's fast, but if you like lifting the front wheel off the ground regularly then the higher axle means it needs more grunt. The higher the axle, the more you need to pull the bars up rather than back, and you just need to pull with more momentum. Hence why BMX bikes need a gentle tug compared to mountain bikes, no matter how short the chainstays are.

Mullet/MX is just 27 rear 29 front.

Enduro is a series of timed downhill sections that are linked with untimed sections, but there are cutoffs. To be good at the sport you need a good balance of endurance and high intensity fitness. It's a fun day out though, so it has a good vibe and a lot of people don't enter purely for competition's sake. you should enter one, I think that despite your shit talk on fat fucks, you'd get your shit pushed in.

Trail bikes and enduro bikes are heavier than they used to be. People have gotten faster, so everything needs to be stronger to compensate. Weight means less than most people think. My fastest time up a gravel climb near my house is on an 11kg rigid bike, 22m30s or so. about 20 seconds behind is my time on a 15kg enduro bike with 160mm of travel when I was less fit. Just had a good day I guess. All geared up with my bike i'm roughly 100kg, so a kilo is only 1% of my weight, and the weight is only a part of the resistance when climbing. I'm a huge proportion faster on my road bike on tarmac up the same gradient compared to my mountain bike on gravel or a trail, purely from friction i guess, so i reckon a kg is worth about 0.5-0.75% of my climbing pace.

In return I get a frame that doesn't snap yearly and feel like a noodle, a rear tire that doesn't flat every ride, a shock that doesn't overheat every descent, a fork that doesn't flex and unbalance me in every corner, cranks that don't bend on every big hit, the ability to drop the seat and ride a bike like it is supposed to be ridden, brakes that don't fade, the ability to run tire pressures that let me have good amounts of grip and smoothness, a drivetrain that doesn't drop chains while having good range, wide rims that mean I don't rip tires off in corners yet don't dent immediately... having a heavy bike is great.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ahhh I have found one of those chunkers ! :p thanks for detailed reply man, lets see pics of your bike !

So if none of those things in your last paragraph happen to me, I don’t need the new stuff is what you are saying? :) I’m on ride it till it dies mode

I look forward to entering an enduro on this rigid 20+ year old bicycle. Seems pretty lazy/full h o m o to only time the downhill sections, goes right in line with fat fucks and overbuilt bikes. There is a 2 day race here in august, one day it is on a trail easier than what I’m racing 38 miles on in a week… and only the downhill? Brakes are for pussies, I’ve never not been in the lead bombing hills on group rides… its what I do. Used to ride with pro road racers, I could not touch them on the uphills, i passed them on downhills… hit 64mph in a tight canyon (topanga) that was my fastest on road. MTB , as someone who was a booze hound for about 2 decades and hasn’t sipped no more… I got the need . the need for speed

Just like new trials bikes make people with no skill instantly good… It used to be hard to get those bikes up to pedal kick. Love to see charlie rolls on a month x hydra, I’m sure he would still kill it but I guarantee you he wouldnt place top 10.

Ask the expert kids at bentonville to footjam whip for you, then ask them to ride up a couple loose hills w rocks. Biking at its core is just controlling that bike… that’s all I’ve done, thats the only constant in my life at 40. Everything comes and goes, there is only biking… I also scream while bombing hills, insane screams of monkey base reptile brain love to rape and plunder scottish core strength… I scared the shit out of a black bear last weekend, hide your kids hide your wife I’m coming.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Eagerly Wet Sluts ?? Nah sounds hella gay #dropperfullhomo #30+poundersrforhumansloths
Map World Slope Line Terrestrial plant

Slope Rectangle Plot Font Line

Here’s the ride we do post race… Hopefully still on my hobo hardtail.

I’ll get strava and see how I do.

·
Registered
752 Posts
"Modern" mtbs have perfectly primed the market for electrics. They're already motorcycles without engines. Finally someone realized putting a motor on these things would help immensely, cuz, you know, weight doesn't matter. I'm with Andy on this one. The modern trade offs aren't worth it and the industry no longer supports the simple pleasure of riding a simple bike.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I watched a few enduro videos of the EWS… seems lame to me, just riding down fucked up trails full of ruts ? A reason for lazy humans to destroy nature ? They are going fast but their bikes are hilarious, and their interviews- i understand why the youth loves that horrendous music now. Something happened in the last 20 years , maybe it was just the release of the iphone in 2007? that was the final nail in human devolution coffin.. Brains getting smaller, you ever tried to hire a millennial? or gen z or whatever the fuck. laziest people on earth. Entitled , weak.

World Font Screenshot Asphalt Recreation

Plant Tree Wood Recreation Trunk

Its tons of switchbacks inruts with motorcycle bicycles, if they were on full rigid I’d be impressed. , they barely pedal- all about missing trees with your bars.

The idea in my mind was a 30 mile race,with super intense sections of rocks and logs… Thats my enduro. The commentator “and by section 4 they’re pretty tired” - from what? weaving a heavy clunk squisher down some fucked up earth? a race needs lots of uphills to separate the twinks from the humans. I’ll get a dropper and start postin vide after the race, i got some “enduro” shit on the farm… creek jumps ? we all know trials riders are the best at riding bikes fast.

·
6,108 Posts
Some Enduros are in bike parks, others are in beautiful locations. The variation in location and terrain is a big draw to the sport compared to DH or XC.

It doesn't make sense to complain about the weight on enduro bikes as an example of "modern mtbs". They're supposed to be as close to downhill bikes while still going uphill, with appropriate longevity. If you want light, buy a lightweight trail bike or XC bike. Some of the bikes aimed at that market today are fucking cool, are lighter/better/more durable than their older counterparts, and that part of the market isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems pretty lazy/full h o m o to only time the downhill sections, goes right in line with fat fucks and overbuilt bikes.
If you want to be timed on the uphill and downhill, there's this thing called "cross country" that might interest you ;)

I'd say that, over here at least, 'enduro' is probably a lot more in line with how most people ride. The uphill stuff is the shit you have to deal with to do the actual fun stuff. Enduro racing matches that. Some of them do have timed stage starts so you are effectively timed on the uphills/liaisons, but it's more that you have to complete it within a certain time rather than having a fast time up it.

It's fun seeing people create some straw men to knock down here, but that's along the same lines as me saying that people who prefer single speed hardtails are just pussies who create arbitrary restrictions on their bikes to give them an excuse to be slower on trails than faster riders on long travel full sus bikes. That's clearly not the case, and in much the same way if you ride other places/with other people you'll find that there are plenty of people who rip on enduro bikes rather than just being tubby rich people wobbling their way around blue trails. The majority of people out there don't have great bike handling skills simply because they haven't spent much time honing them in like trials riders have, so it's sort of to be expected that as a result a lot of them will struggle if things start getting tricky.

One of the local groups I ride with here has people who race/raced EWS, or won their categories in the national enduro champs, and it's insane how fast they can go. Even on relatively basic sections of trail they can just squeeze more speed out of them (or more realistically lose less of it). Longer travel certainly helps by taking the worst of the hits, but there's a lot of intricacies in their technique hidden away in how they operate that allow them to go that fast. It's the same as trials - you could jump on Carthy's bike and you won't suddenly be upping to front head height shit, and similarly if I jumped on an EWS pro's bike I wouldn't be able to hit the steep, tech stuff they hit at anywhere approaching the speed they hit it at.

Just on that video of the EWS you posted, the Tweed Valley isn't really a great example of a typical EWS. The stages they focussed on in that video are pretty niche (to the extent that most riders were cutting their bars down way narrower than normal because of how tight and awkward those trails are). Those particular trails are very well established trails in Scotland (which pre-date "enduro") which is why they're so worn in.

Anyway, all that stuff aside, as I chatted to you about on Instagram dropper posts will benefit almost every bike they go on. Some roadie even fitted one to help him win a stage on a pro tour race with more emphasis on the descents. If it even adds to something as low on the 'technical' side of things as road riding then for off road stuff it makes even more sense.

29ers are a lot better now than they used to be, and feel a lot more fun than some older ones did. Tyre width/casing/compound will play a big role in that, so if you fit some heavier duty tyres it'll feel more planted and stable at the expense of being more agile and playful. I prefer 27.5 personally, but again that's probably more a function of the trails I typically ride. The hills in my part of the world tend to be steep and there's more of a focus on tech stuff on them, and 29ers just feel a bit weird to me for that kind of thing. As before though, those enduro racers that I ride with make their bigger 29er bikes rip around them so it's clearly not the wheel size that's making the difference.

If you're specifically looking for a hardtail bike there's a decent range of bikes out there that should suit you, from more XC-orientated bikes from brands like Canyon to more 'hardcore hardtails' like ones from Ragley, the Kona Honzo LSD, to an extent the Commencal Meta HT AM (which I had, and enjoyed riding a lot) and more. It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of frames now use a ZS44/ZS56 headset setup, and it's easy enough to get anglesets to suit those that can affect the head angle +/-2° or so. It means you could slacken out the front end of an XC-orientated bike if you wanted to make it more capable on descents, or vice versa on a slacked out hardtail if you wanted to make it a bit more playful on flatter trails. FWIW, I slacked my Meta out by 2° and on the steep stuff here it made a huge difference. It meant the front end was a bit more vague on steeper climbs, but the benefits on the fun stuff outweighed the negatives on the tedious stuff for me.

Slightly contrary to what some others are saying here, I wouldn't worry about the standard groupset stuff toooo much. It's easy enough to switch stuff out further down the line. My Meta came with some basic SRAM stuff (I can't remember way) on a Shimano spline freehub (not SRAM XD or Shimano Microspline), and over time I upgraded the different bits of it as and when I needed to. On the whole cheaper modern stuff is still going to feel better than worn older stuff so it'll probably still feel like an upgrade, but if it's 12spd you will find you'll need to spend more time faffing with it to keep it shifting perfectly. There are always second hand deals out there (the setup I have now is largely second hand) that you can keep an eye out for and upgrade as and when they pop up, or even just pick up a mix-and-match drive train setup to suit your budget. There also some wild cards like the Microshift Advent X stuff that seems to work really well (at the cost of being somewhat heavy), but be really cheap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm kind of one of those people that doesn't do media - but in what I've seen online, the UK and US have significantly different land use policies driven by how the government or managing entities interact with the public.

The kind of rutted trails I see on a lot of videos from the UK, or in the US on private land, aren't "acceptable" in the central states. We don't really have the elevation for one thing, but the long standing land use conflicts with hikers and horses didn't leave a lot of political tolerance for any kind of erosion, and to a large extent, even riding in the rain locally.

I don't know if this is a fair assessment of all or some of what's popular in the UK since I can only see it via videos, and I know within the US, trail design varies regionally due to both land availability and geology, but if a person travels enough within the US, there's a variety of riding styles and bikes that tracks what works locally.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I dig it…

almost pulled the trigger on a nukeprooof 29 last night

I know there is xc, but in my mind xc should include enduro trails, 2-3 foot high ups all over, maybe ill watch an xc i have no idea what it is like now..

once upon a time, everyone rode iin downhill, cross country , trials… at each event, all in one. Now it is so specialized, bentonville doing a great job of bringing all mountain bikey things together… im sure it will just keep growing,

maybe we’ll all ride together in 2038. I’ll be clutching my 1x11 29er while everyone else is shralpin 39” “hover” magnetic suspension bikes. with tesla assist.

·
tda
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Imagine a race.. 15 miles of road; 15 gravel, 15 singletrack, 15 hike and bike or trials… big ass boulders urrrwhere, faster lines got big jumps.. Add archery, and stone picking up and thats whats up

21 - 40 of 98 Posts