Observed Trials banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
I hate new tech but I have ridden a friends newer monster truck bike with a dropper... having the ability to get the saddle out of the way with the push of a button when you're about to hit a descent or drop is great. My trail bike (sold just recently) was a full rigid single speed Rockhopper from 2006 - 26 inch wheels and bb7s. I rode that thing for years alongside people with various types of suspension and never felt I was lacking anything except a dropper post. I didnt think they were cool until I tried one. If I had kept that bike it would have been my next (and last) upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Crapitalism demands improvements to things where they arent necessary. Need to have a constant stream of new products to market, so there's always one more thing you need to buy to make your life complete.

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
I found the "mtb trails" here last weekend. Pretty muddy, lots of small elevation gain/loss aka rollers. I rode it for miles on my fixed track bike, 25c tires with no tread. Then got home and found posts on the internet from the day before, where people with shiney new squishy things were saying the trails are "too greasy" to stay upright on them. I dabbed like 4 times. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
This whole long / slack ha looks incredible i would like to feel that… Especially in switchbacks, always felt the bike didnt turn properly- dara you used to race, any advive for switchbacks? the backend doesnt come around, i just nose many /pivot them
I gotta admit riding on it made me a believer. I could instantly tell how much easier all the fun things are on that bike. It just wants to manny and hop and roll fast and smooth over everything. But I still hate it because he bought it used for like $3000. Needs annual suspension maintenance that has to be done by a special tech and costs hundreds each time. If I was a millionaire I still wouldn't spend that kind of coin on a bicycle. Just... no. It offends me deeply in a way that is hard to describe. But I think it has something to do with taking away the carefree freedom and simple joy of just hopping on a thing and riding. Thats why I love a fixed gear with just a front brake. Its got everything you need and it always works. Always. Practically no maintenance. Just hop on it and go.

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Seems like we have a similar philosophy. If you already like your old mtb I think adding a dropper is gonna make it feel like badass futuristic tech in the best possible way.

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
🤣

New technology strikes again. Never heard of a suspension dropper and would not want to try that. The one i tried had a button on the handlebar that raised and lowered to preset positions. Other than that it was just like a normal post. It was on a newer bike, no idea what size the seatpost was. Maybe you need the hot new 23.538206 seatpost size to fit a good one.

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Haven't ridden anything in a couple weeks but I've been doing short runs in places with lots of trees. Toledo has some great metroparks / nature preserves. Just grab the right shoes and walk out the door. Simple.

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood

Plant Tree Wood Stairs Grass

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
I have had my eye on something similar (GT La Bomba Pro) for a while but just cant justify the purchase. The nearest really legit place for a DJ that I know of is Rays which is 2hrs away, and I can always rent a Trek Ticket when I go there.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Im on the new mtb train too. Maybe. Looking at a Honzo or Scout. Definitely looking at 27.5 wheels version.

More intrigued by the scout but there is a kona dealer in the area. Doubt they have a honzo on the floor but at least there would be shop support after purchase.

Edit: the honzo is a few hundred dollars more expensive and a few pounds heavier for the complete build (n)

Thoughts/comparison between the two from people who know more about bikes than me? I'd be buying without a test drive in either case. My riding style i think is similar to tda albeit with less skillz. I still enjoy punching UP things and want something that doesnt mind slowing down to do trials nerd stuff. Seems like all marketing copy is about flow/descent and mtb trails stopped having chunky uphill sections around the early aughts?

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Sounds like this mid range scout build will be available in August. Im gonna borrow a cheapo xc hardtail this week and go check out some nearby trails. See if think to myself "yeah i should drop a few grand on a modern hardtail and come up here weekly"

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Just called local kona dealer. Eta to have honzo in stock is October but that's probably gonna get pushed back.. nothing ever arrives on time anymore.

Supposedly that 27.5 scout will be available online in early August tho. Hmmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts