Observed Trials banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t looked at a mtb magazine since the late 90s, i missed all the huplah about changing wheel sizes and everything seems well retarded and specialized as I look through... but they are still just bicycles, with unreal inflated prices (went into a trek corporate store, hilarious... “down country”? More like down syndrome.)

So last night as I was searching for a slx crankset (full groups used to be everywhere and cheap on there , aint looked for 4 years..) I came across some full bikes that don’t start at $6,000 with shit components...

These start at $1,000 with shit components ...

Any clue about any of these frames ?? I want that nukeproof scout, it looks fun, pretty sure the $1200 bike is full hobo parts, will I be able to ride till it breaks? or just be pissed at how they work n spend more $$ right away...

I have no clue about components, my current bike has 2x6 gears - half a 1999 XT cassette dangling on my hope single speed shell..

Any advice ? Nukeproof I believe was a uk brand back then that made strong parts, never heard of vitus... 275 or 29?? 29 rolls nice but i think my trials body needs light/whippy.

Bicycle Tire Land vehicle Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Land vehicle

Bicycle Wheel White Bicycle frame Font

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not get something used? I picked up a used Pivot awhile back, doesn't have BOOST or 1x, but not that that shit really matters. Looks like you can get a Pivot LES for 2000-2500 used from 2014-2015.
where do i look for used bikes?! would love. facebook is a mess, everything is xxs or $5,000 , id love a full bike for $600... doesnt seem to exist especially not in my size.

few more caught my eyes but now its $2000 land and that is ridiculous to me..would love used, idgaf long as its solid

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

finding that used in my size would be nice, or something like it. I have no cranks/headsets/wheels that work w new bikes-

So far people are telling me i will love 29... ? Why u a hater dara, why not get 38” wheels?!

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mannn i need to rent some bikes i think, so much unknown- spent hours looking at so many different things. is a dropper something that helps?? Seems like a boat anchor and something extra to click, I cannot imagine it helps? I go down steep shit, my stomach /chest rest on my saddle, my ass is almost to the rear tire. Maybe the new mtb geometry makes it better feeling? I cant whip this 20+ yo bike around singletracks like the shredders do, i try but it never works.

275 vs 29... 275 will be lighter ? why are they putting giant tires on 275? 2.8” is ridiculous, sounds heavy af... Why is nothing talking about bike weight?I went into a new trek store, unless you are carbon and $8,000+ they are all giant boats, 30+ pounds. What the f? Bikes got heavier ?

Most of the riders i see here are burly fat guys, and i understand the bikes... I’m going to ride this 20+ year old frame with 25 year old parts this year, the race is part of a 3 part series.. we’ll see if i can finish the first one , I’ve only ridden one spot here in pisgah and would love to explore... just not easy to get around here. I’ve spent many days trying to find trails and never did- just gave up, signed up for this race to try and see some singletrack.. The race includes a lot of hike and bike, i doubt an emtb could ride it- just straight up sharp rocky 4” pebbles in parts.

Last ride, we crushed a group of 5- three having $$$ yetis, they left 30 minutes before us and we passed them 7 miles in. Hard tail and not fat legs > your fancy bike.

Riding this shit till it breaks.

Riding partner has strava, we were the 4th fastest time this year on last weeks 15 miler and we was chillin...

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well do people run 2.1” tires on 275? Seems all 1 pound + tires monder fat… I can ride road tires thru babyhead rock gardens i dont need moren 2.35.

Here is a LOT of steep uphill, and a lot of steem/flowing downhill and switchbacks.

This whole long / slack ha looks incredible i would like to feel that… Especially in switchbacks, always felt the bike didnt turn properly- dara you used to race, any advive for switchbacks? the backend doesnt come around, i just nose many /pivot them

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crapitalism demands improvements to things where they arent necessary. Need to have a constant stream of new products to market, so there's always one more thing you need to buy to make your life complete.

Check out our new down country selection!

Check out our new cross flatland selection!

Check out our new cycleball selection!!

matching t shirts and apple watches !! merchaindizing MEERCHAINDYYYYZING MOIIIICJENDIIIIZINNNNG

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gotta admit riding on it made me a believer. I could instantly tell how much easier all the fun things are on that bike. It just wants to manny and hop and roll fast and smooth over everything. But I still hate it because he bought it used for like $3000. Needs annual suspension maintenance that has to be done by a special tech and costs hundreds each time. If I was a millionaire I still wouldn't spend that kind of coin on a bicycle. Just... no. It offends me deeply in a way that is hard to describe. But I think it has something to do with taking away the carefree freedom and simple joy of just hopping on a thing and riding. Thats why I love a fixed gear with just a front brake. Its got everything you need and it always works. Always. Practically no maintenance. Just hop on it and go.

Yeah i feel the way about full suspension, if i cant fix it myself i wont do it. No doctors. No mechanics. just a chance to learn a new skill, im huntin fun 275 bikes now- saw a steel one … $2400 complete ehh

late model 26” specialized on facebook.. 317 mavic rims, nice fork, juicy brakes, $450… think ill just do one more ride w a new chain and new pads, then get a dropper after the race.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So this seems to be one of the only dropper posts available for 27.2- are they supposed to have suspension?? They bob up and down? Are these reviewers just re t a r d ed?

Last thing I want is a suspension seatpost. Adding over a pound to ?? have poor pedaling up hill? My favorite thing on steep downhills is to lay my stomach on the seat, ass near the tire.. Unsure how the dropper makes things better ? I have seen people pop helmets onto their heads (eurotrash fabio lyyyyyyyf #bighitsmillionfalowrrs) and i just cant see the reason why everyone says it is absolutely amazing and the best thing to ever happen to biking.

Font Parallel Document Paper Symmetry

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Font Tread Rim Parallel

Font Screenshot Advertising Science

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ah fuck it was showing me a suspension dropper and too many bongs didn’t understand, witn the help of mark w this has been located… Will be my reward for finishing that race

Font Titanium Science

90 or 110 mm? 110 drop you too far for speed times ? buy it before and never ride it till race day?

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
🤣

New technology strikes again. Never heard of a suspension dropper and would not want to try that. The one i tried had a button on the handlebar that raised and lowered to preset positions. Other than that it was just like a normal post. It was on a newer bike, no idea what size the seatpost was. Maybe you need the hot new 23.538206 seatpost size to fit a good one.
Honestly surprised there isn’t an anal plug seat getting super popular… #downcountry #staypluggedin #analplugtreklyf #whatevergendertheseatwantstobe #nohomo #fullhomo

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Not sure where you got the idea of otb ? if my ass goes any lower it’ll be scraping the tire. The trails here are unlike anything I’ve ever seen,

I’m riding a 22 year old xc race frame with a rear disc, the second i try to pedal kick this frame /dosc mount will snap - once the race is done I’ll put one on, and with a new bike I’ll definitely be riding with one.

For how it stands now, adding over a pound to the bike for a ride where I’ll be pushing the bike up a hill for miles it don't sound fun.

“The ability to drop your seat can enhance your confidence and aggressiveness on features by increasing stability, allowing you to lower your center of gravity, rotating your hips more for cornering and giving you more vertical room to move through while you load and unload your bike for jumping and rough terrain.”

I also feel like its spitting in the face of 30 years of learning to shred with a fully extended seat, I am never having troubles because of where my seat is… This bike will not corner like new ones, i think the head angle is nil :)

currently into 29 over 275 , i guess its the same as 700c?? I’ve ridden a 700 23 tire single speed 80s bike on the most aggressive mtb in socal. cant imagine if they were fat tires…

Hard tail for sure- what is this mullet you speak of ? Is that what “mx” means next to frames ? rear 16” front 36” or what?

also what exactly is enduro? Someone tried to explain that only the downhill sections are timed in stages? I thought it was just a race with heavy shit in the trail, is there prize money ? Only for the main mens i assume . It is super popular but everyone i see who does it is just a fat fuck with a super expensive bike and would die without 200mm of travel- another thing, it used to be inches. 4” , 1.5”… 3” 5” Now mms. And no where ANYWHERE are the weights of bikes talked about- I realized it’s because they aren’t timed on any uphill?

How heavy are the newest xc race machines ?? Enduro? Enduros seem to be 30+ pounds unless you pay used car prices for something carbon.

Bikes have gotten way simpler to ride and way heavier. My mind is in 22” flat bars land… dont think i can break away. The new bikes are easily the most offensive looking things ive ever seen.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ahhh I have found one of those chunkers ! :p thanks for detailed reply man, lets see pics of your bike !

So if none of those things in your last paragraph happen to me, I don’t need the new stuff is what you are saying? :) I’m on ride it till it dies mode

I look forward to entering an enduro on this rigid 20+ year old bicycle. Seems pretty lazy/full h o m o to only time the downhill sections, goes right in line with fat fucks and overbuilt bikes. There is a 2 day race here in august, one day it is on a trail easier than what I’m racing 38 miles on in a week… and only the downhill? Brakes are for pussies, I’ve never not been in the lead bombing hills on group rides… its what I do. Used to ride with pro road racers, I could not touch them on the uphills, i passed them on downhills… hit 64mph in a tight canyon (topanga) that was my fastest on road. MTB , as someone who was a booze hound for about 2 decades and hasn’t sipped no more… I got the need . the need for speed

Just like new trials bikes make people with no skill instantly good… It used to be hard to get those bikes up to pedal kick. Love to see charlie rolls on a month x hydra, I’m sure he would still kill it but I guarantee you he wouldnt place top 10.

Ask the expert kids at bentonville to footjam whip for you, then ask them to ride up a couple loose hills w rocks. Biking at its core is just controlling that bike… that’s all I’ve done, thats the only constant in my life at 40. Everything comes and goes, there is only biking… I also scream while bombing hills, insane screams of monkey base reptile brain love to rape and plunder scottish core strength… I scared the shit out of a black bear last weekend, hide your kids hide your wife I’m coming.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Eagerly Wet Sluts ?? Nah sounds hella gay #dropperfullhomo #30+poundersrforhumansloths
Map World Slope Line Terrestrial plant

Slope Rectangle Plot Font Line

Here’s the ride we do post race… Hopefully still on my hobo hardtail.

I’ll get strava and see how I do.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I watched a few enduro videos of the EWS… seems lame to me, just riding down fucked up trails full of ruts ? A reason for lazy humans to destroy nature ? They are going fast but their bikes are hilarious, and their interviews- i understand why the youth loves that horrendous music now. Something happened in the last 20 years , maybe it was just the release of the iphone in 2007? that was the final nail in human devolution coffin.. Brains getting smaller, you ever tried to hire a millennial? or gen z or whatever the fuck. laziest people on earth. Entitled , weak.

World Font Screenshot Asphalt Recreation

Plant Tree Wood Recreation Trunk

Its tons of switchbacks inruts with motorcycle bicycles, if they were on full rigid I’d be impressed. , they barely pedal- all about missing trees with your bars.

The idea in my mind was a 30 mile race,with super intense sections of rocks and logs… Thats my enduro. The commentator “and by section 4 they’re pretty tired” - from what? weaving a heavy clunk squisher down some fucked up earth? a race needs lots of uphills to separate the twinks from the humans. I’ll get a dropper and start postin vide after the race, i got some “enduro” shit on the farm… creek jumps ? we all know trials riders are the best at riding bikes fast.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I dig it…

almost pulled the trigger on a nukeprooof 29 last night

I know there is xc, but in my mind xc should include enduro trails, 2-3 foot high ups all over, maybe ill watch an xc i have no idea what it is like now..

once upon a time, everyone rode iin downhill, cross country , trials… at each event, all in one. Now it is so specialized, bentonville doing a great job of bringing all mountain bikey things together… im sure it will just keep growing,

maybe we’ll all ride together in 2038. I’ll be clutching my 1x11 29er while everyone else is shralpin 39” “hover” magnetic suspension bikes. with tesla assist.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Imagine a race.. 15 miles of road; 15 gravel, 15 singletrack, 15 hike and bike or trials… big ass boulders urrrwhere, faster lines got big jumps.. Add archery, and stone picking up and thats whats up

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
And we get much more rain than you do, you should see the people on facebook fighting about it- around here they beyond frown upon wet riding, going into rants about how they are destroying the trail.

Areas of pisgah get over 100 inches of rain a year, londons yearly average is 24 inches…

That freedom to roam thing is awesome. Some countries you cannot buy land on the ocean, its for everyone… then you go to socal and see what capitalism beleives.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
'SHRED WAGON'!
yessss

and man was i fuckin jealous of those mfers w pankake cogs in the back… I was doin pretty well, finished near the end in about 5 hours- last few climbs took it out of me.. Watching new bikes w pankake gears fly up the hill, i couldnt press down for fear of quad locking up, 32x37 is my lightest gear… fucked there, and w few easy flat road/ slight downhill fireroad spots doofuses that i passed on the uphill would pass me- no low gear so i was spinning at 15 mph. Just medium range gears aint the way.

Stoked that I basically got up off the couch and finished it, hoping to see if I can have a new mtb to see how it rolls next year…I don’t think anyone else had a bike older than 2 years, lots of teams w matching bikes- yeti and santa cruzes. I definitely did not see them after the start, those xc racer bodies… hunched over forever, giant calves and frail curved upper backs, I’m probably the worst shape of my life, but i would never want to look so specialized, mfers got to wrestle pigs and cows caint do that in a waif skin suit.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Bruh no granny on the cranks??

Nice work finishing it. Even if you were out the arse, got it done, get fit and do it next year. See how many skinsuits you can beat.

Pretty sure that the enduro athletes have that strong upper body you're hoping to perv at though.

Cheers… A fat little woman that looked like a sweet potato passed me in the last couple miles, it is a slow uphill I couldnt do anything but push the bike on… so many passed there w their lil pankake cogs bustin up that hill mfers, definitely got a base line n I need to go to that enduro race in august see if i need a heavy big bike or a light puff xc bike…

The fast boys all had matching these bicycles

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

1 - 20 of 30 Posts