NEW frame - there's a story behind this :(

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by lowside, Dec 14, 2004.

1. lowside

lowside eh?

Hey guys.

Well, I put my bike together last night, and lo and behold, this morning, it was gone, stolen.

With Christmas coming up, I'm putting the lean on my parents for a new frame and I guess I'll slowly build it up.

My two choices that I really like, and are in the budget:

1: Planet-X Tibo
    Chainstays - 390mm
    Top Tube - 561mm
    Seat tube - 270mm
    Head tube - 120mm
    Head Angle - 73
    BB drop - + 20mm
    Wheelbase - 1050mm
    Weight - 4.0 lbs

http://www.webcyclery.com/image.php?productid=16617

2: Echo Bounce
    Chainstays - 385mm
    Top Tube -
    Seat tube -
    Head tube -
    Head Angle - 74
    BB drop -
    Wheelbase - 1055mm
    Weight - 3.75 lbs

http://www.webcyclery.com/image.php?productid=16655

Forgot to finish my post.

What do you guys think, for a learner, but at the same time I'm getting better and planning to stick with it, is the way to go?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. oicdn

oicdn Guest

How the hell did your frame get stolen? Did you leave it outside unlocked?????

Personally, I'de recommend a Tibo.....although I haven't ridden one, I hear they rock. I also hear the rear actually is holding up well to rear disc usage....go for it...

3. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

That sucks!!! I'm keeping my bike in my apartment now...not even taking a chance in the garage. I'd go with Bounce...but that's just my preference.

4. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

Did you ride it to a bar and leave it out side ??? how the hell?

5. digby

digby New Member

Maybe you should be putting the lean on yourself or insurance instead of your parents.

How exactly did you manage to get your bike stolen 12 hours after you built it? If anything I'm guessing you are somewhat responsible for it getting stolen.

I'm not sure how you got money for your last frame but maybe your next one would last longer if you had to spend the winter scraping together money so you could buy it.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Look into getting a frame with no seatpost hole. Nobody will steal a bike that they CAN'T put a seat on.....

7. digby

digby New Member

unless theyre just using it for manuals.

8. lowside

lowside eh?

I will be spending the winter scraping together the money to put components on my beautiful new frame.

I live in a condo complex with outdoor walkways between the suites.

Everyone locks their bikes outside their door, which I have done for a year with my freeride hardtail. Last night I locked my next bike there at 10:30pm, and 8:30am this morning it was gone.

This might sound like a dumb question, but does that Tibo take a derailleur or no?

9. Ross

Ross New Member

Yes, it takes a derailleur. I would go with the Tibo.

10. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I have a Tibo and I really like it. If you are thinking rear discs, I am running one and haven't had a problem yet. I haven't ridden the bounce but I'd say go for the Tibo if you can. My only other comment is this, if you are a taller guy I might go for something else. The BB rise makes the bike's 'cockpit' feel shorter. For shorter guys, like myself, it feels great. If I were taller I would want something longer....

11. lowside

lowside eh?

I'm 5'7" lol, I don't think I'll have that problem.

I'm going to run maggies front and rear.

12. lowside

lowside eh?

Haha that's cool but I have no room for that in my little university home.

However, I will be renovating my room to build a home for my bike once I get it.

13. digby

digby New Member

sorry if that sounded harsh. I have seen some people do some stupid god damn things with their bikes. Ive seen people leave their $3000 mountain bike in the back of their truck while they go into the mall to grab something, some people just really dont care about their bikes. That does suck though if you locked it up and it got nabbed. Maybe you should start keeping your bike in your room or something, hang it up over your bed.

14. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

what i do living in one of the worst parts of arguably the worst city in MA is keep my bikes under my bed. I just elevate my bed wicked high, take the front wheel off and set the bike in upside down. Just a suggestion.

get the tibo, i like them

15. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

Dorchester,Jamacia plain, Roxbury,Lynn, lawrence ,Worchester.... bbblllaaaahhhhh!

16. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

lowside, dont call the cops yet.

see if your parents have a better insurance policy than you do. if they do, claim on their policy. if they dont, find a friend with a good policy and try to get them to claim it. go to a shop and tell them what happened and they should give a good estimate of the price.

long story short, milk the insurance company. that's what its their for.

17. lowside

lowside eh?

I don't have insurance, and I don't think my parents would be willing to allow me to claim it through theirs.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one, an expensive lesson.

18. wannabetrials

wannabetrials Guest

usually people dont steal frames they will steal a whole bike to ride..................wtf??????

19. lowside

lowside eh?

Sorry I think some of you are confused, my WHOLE BIKE was stolen.

I'm just picking out a frame to buy because I can't afford to buy the whole bike in one shot.