new bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by steve_v, Oct 5, 2004.

1. steve_v

steve_v New Member

Whats a good bottom bracket. The new Race Face FR/DH seem popular but they got trashed on MTBR.com. The Truvativ Gigapipe DH got a better review. Also, they come in a bunch of different spindle lengths. What's a good choice for trials - 113 mm. or 118. Thanks

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

truvativs have much nicer bearings than the race face from what ive experienced. they are heavier but worth it. i have has great luck with fsa bb's. as for width, it completely depends on your frame and crank set up.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

i have the raceface signature DH. the most expensive one 0f the isis models. it works awesome. FSA are also supposed to be of good quality. not sure on the new truvativ stuff, but my first gen. truvativ cheap ass isis worked flawless in two different frames....
    just buy somthing heavy duty. dont get light or cheap shit. DH BB have dual bearings which is key i would think.

width depends on frame... koxx, pure, BT, coustellier... im sure would all be best fitted with 120 or larger.

4. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I think Fsa are the new bb champions. Especially for ISIS. Talk to anyone that has used both a FSA and a Race Face for a long period of time. Race Face bearings aren't known to last to long and the Race Face ISIS ones are worse. My next bb will be FSA for sure.

5. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I love my FSA but don't think it (118mm) will work on my upcoming BT frame. It's shit that they don't make a longer spindle...I guess I could use a 2mm BB spacer...

- Joel

6. pav

pav New Member

I think FSA have a new Platinum Pro DH BB, I saw it on www.chainreactioncycles.com
    It is basically a Platinum Pro but with a longer spindle, Check it out, I have the normal one and love it to bits!

7. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

no good - for 73mm DH shells.

- Joel

8. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

The FSA Platinum Pro seems to be popular... what size depends on what frame you have..?

9. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

yes the 118 will be cutting it close on the new frame. I will try it but it may not be sufficient.

- Joel

10. PJL

PJL War is Peace

What size front cog are you running? On my BT I absolutely needed a 128, though I do run 22T on the front. I got a Raceface Signature DH off ebay for like $30, it has adjustable everything on it, 68-73 spacing, plus it is slightly asymmetrical so you can adjust by flipping it over in addition to using spacers.

Otherwise, I've had great experiences with FSA on all my other ISIS bikes.

11. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

My FSA got very wobbly after about 7 or so months of riding, but my LBS got it warrantied no problem, and in the last 6 months ive had no problems.

12. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I say get the Truvativ one, very solid, good bearings, heavy, adjustable from 68mm to 73mm shell, KEY! Who knows what your next bike will be, get the adjustable so you dont have to buy a new one later.

Tomac, dont be afraid to use a spacer or two, by bb is offset 4mm to the left (the last straw for bikeshops!) and it doesnt bother me.

13. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I know the size of my next shell - 68mm. I will be running the same frame (almost - bt5 vs his bt4) and the same cranks and chainring as hydroboy - who gets away with a 118. I have had great luck with the FSA - they are light and cheap and work well, and I've heard bad things about RF and truvativ.

Anyway, just saying that I'd like to use my current, and will try to, but otherwise will have to try a try-all or RF.

- Joel