new bike needs a chain

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by seattletrials, Jul 24, 2004.

1. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

Hey, i need a chain for my new trials bike. what's a good strong chain that can be used for a 9 speed setup? I have my 9 speed ultegra cassett spaced out to 6 gears, and i need a chain that i won't have to worry about. i've had good luck with sram pc-59 chains in all my other aplications. but trials is a completly different thing. I've heard wipperman chains are good. but what model? I've also heard of using a bmx chain, but i'm not sure if it will work with a 9 speed set up.

ANY IDEAS???

2. evan

evan Guest

I'd use the sram... that's what I run and it hasn't broken.

3. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I like using wipperman connex chains for 8 or 9 speed. the powerlinks are much stronger than SRAM powerlinks, you can actually use the for trials. The 8 speed ones used to get a bit stiff under trials torque but that may have been fixed, the 9 speed ones are fine. If you are using 9 speed chains for trials though, they will stretch very quickly, and need replacing fairly often (I used to replace mine every 3 months or so). Stretch normally precedes breakage.

- Joel

4. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Use SRAM PC-99 or the hollow PC-99. Anything below the PC-99 are CRAP!!! I broke my PC-59 after needing to shorten the chain...should've stayed at PC-99. The thing busted in 2 days. Then the website told me the performance difference. :rofl:

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

SRAMs are all good chains, Wippermans are nice, but more $$, stay away from Shimano

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

what are you talking about? Shimano XT level chains last quite a while.

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I've run SRAM pc48's forever.. maybe used 4 chains over the past 2 years riding trials with them. It's not the 9 speed.. but mine has never broken. 9 speed chains are a bad idea for trials, though the Wipperman might be the one exception I might try. Space your cassette out and use something you won't ever worry about. The KMC BMX i've been running now feels amazingly better... not much for the shifty-inclined though.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

rohloff slt-99 works for me. kmc kool chain is on my list though

9. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

shimano. preferably dura ace

10. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I use a kmc bmx chain, don' know which one.. seems to be a lot stronger than the other chains I had before.. like XT, koxx chain etc.. but you have to modify your derailleur, as the chain is wider

11. KenC

KenC Member

I have used the wipperman chain, and I did break the powerlink. I have also used the Sram pc-59 and 99, and only the powerlinks broke (yes, on both of them). I couldn't tell the difference between the sram chains. If you have the money, wipperman would be my first choice, but I replace my chains at least twice a year from wear, so buying a $50 chain twice a year adds up fast. I would say get the pc-59 and DON'T use the powerlinks. I have broken three of them, twice causing injury. I am not a fan of shimano chains, as they are the only chains I have broken (not using a powerlink).

12. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i have the hollow plate, hollow pin sram, pc89r i think, w/ the power link, ive always used the link, because leech says he does and its not causing a problem, and so far its been good, well see once the chain get a little older

13. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

i really don't see the point in spending so much money on a chain(over 40 bucks) All chains strech. I know i don't like shimano. but there's no point in getting a d.a. chain. its lighter... but not by much... maybe 5 grams over most other chains. I'm just going to stick with cheap sram chains. if i have a problem with them, i'll go to wipperman connex chains. I know someone who's running one of those and doesn't have any problems with it, so it seems like a good chain. and in all my riding with sram chains, only one powerlink has busted, and it wasn't when i was riding it either. so right now. pc-59(cause that's all my lbs has in stock at the moment for 9 speed) is only 25 bucks, that doesn't seem too bad. and i'll possibly think about a connex if I have any problems with the sram. thanks for all the input I'll post some pics of my desalvo when i get it built up.

14. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

PC-99 isn't expensive compared to PC-59. If you look at their website it'll tell you the quality/performance. I paid $37 for the 99 and it's worth it. PC-59 broke within two weeks but I weigh about 200 lbs which probably didn't help either...btw my old PC-99 last nearly a year before I decided to change the setup.

15. freeone

freeone Guest

KMC trial works fine for me, and it's cheap.