Need some answers.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Wait, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Wait

Wait Guest

So, unfortunately there are no shops selling trials bikes around me. I really want to check some out before I up and buy a frame/kit/bike. I've noticed in the videos I've been watching that there isn't much emphasis on the tire pressure and most of the impact takes place on the rim itself. There are some other key features I’ve seen different on these bikes but I don’t know enough to just make a blind purchase.
    :?
    What size frame should I be looking for? - I’m right at or just under 6’.
    What kind of rims, tires, disc brakes..etc? - I’ll spend the extra cash for good components.
    :?
    Or do you recommend that I just wait until I’ve ridden a few before I make a selection?

I thought about going to Wal*Mart and picking up a piece of crap to learn on until I can find a shop or figure out what it is that I need. But I don’t think that is a good idea. I can hear a crack in the frame right now…

2. Elan

Elan steve french

it all depends on what you want to ride or plan on riding... if you want to ride street/urban, look into the planet x zebdi or somthing similar, if you want to ride uci style urban/natural, look into the echo pure, koxx levelboss, desalvo.

brakes depend upon your frame really, and a little bit of preference..if you want 4-bolt maguras look into the koxx or echo. if you like v-brakes, look into the planet x or desalvo. front brakes are a personal thing, some like discs, some like vees, it doesnt really matter.

the most popular rim for trials is alex dx-32, in the front it doesnt really matter what you run unless you put a lot of emphasis on front wheel moves and steep natural, then you will probably want a wide rim like the alex.

one of the most important aspects of a trials bike is the drive..the key part on your bike is your hub, jsut get a chris king and you will love it.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

oh, a few other things.... rear tire NEEDS to be a michelin comp DH or a dual ply maxxis DH tire, regardless or what kind of riding you do.

im not sure if you know what cranks you want... it all depends on how much $ you are willing to spend on your bike.... if you arent on a budget, get the bonz trials or the raceface turbine LP with a threshold/plazmatic bash ring...
    if you are kinda tight on the cash, check out the fsa power pros or the truvativ husselfelt trials.

one other thing, brake pads... if you run v-brakes, $10 salmon pads work great, and then there are $40 plazmatics yo ucan get also. if you run maguras. plazmatic is the only way to go...

here are some trialsy stores:

www.trialsin.com
    www.webcyclery.com

4. JK

JK New Member

Just get a complete trials bike. You'll save money that way because it'll have cheaper trials specific components on it like FFW cranks and catalogue stuff that costs the company next to nothing to put on the bike. I'm assuming you are in the states so www.trialsin.com should be able to sort you out. I think an Echo Pure is $1200, or look for a decent used bike. Not sure if you'll find anything cheaper than the pure though. Also check www.thetrialsinshop.com , a Canadian shop that also deals in complete bikes as well as frames. You were joking about WalMart, right?, don't waste your money.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

webcyclery has some of hte best deals on new complete bikes... trialsin is good to.

6. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

I agree with everything you said Elan except the bold part. Plaz are great but there are other pads that are just as good. Koxx Bloxx, spanish fly are a few that come to mind..

7. Elan

Elan steve french

plazmatic makes spansih fly, and i have never tried koxx bloxx, but i hear they are comprable

8. uownme

learn something new everyday

9. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

the full bike is the way to go. Get a used bike on this forum. You'll spend far less than building it up yourself, and you'll quickly findout what you like/don't like. Frames are easy enough to swap. Pick a bike (based on what Elan said) that you think you may like more. I figured I'd like Street more, but ended up liking UCI with urban/street mixed in. I swapped frames a few weeks ago.

Join up with others. Ride what feels comfy (length wise).

10. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

oh, and stay away from walmart bikes. You won't only break them, but they'll give you an entire different feel from what trials bikes do. Also, you prolly couldn't lift one.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

word. and if you just take the time to call up one of hte mofos, like meantodd at WC or tim at trialsin, they will get you what yo uwant for however much $ yo uhave...good service these trials guys.

12. Wait

Wait Guest

I went down to the LBS to find out what their thoughts were. The guy I talked to told me to go ahead and get a fully built bike to start out on. He said you can get a pretty good bike for about $500. Considering the amount I threw down for my FS bike, $500 isn’t that bad. Though, I would really like to get something for lower than that to learn on. The main thing that sucks is no one I know rides trials in the St. Louis area. Hey, maybe I’ll start a trend. :cool:

Could I just get a ridged frame and build something up from there or does it need to be a trials specific frame?

13. uownme

You can but you will want a more trials specific frame soon. There are alot of affordable stock bikes out there..

14. Elan

Elan steve french

a lot of people start out on small sized hardtail xc bikes..they work..but if you get a trials frame you will no doubtedly like riding a lot more... and a cheap trials frame isnt much more $ than a decent hardtail...

15. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Yeah, you've come to the right place, if it werent for these forums I wouldn't have a clue what to get, they're the biggest help you'll find. I just got my first trials specific built up, and a little tip that I used was, I thought there were no trials shops around too, but I went to the planet x website, then found the canadian dealer, then found what shops they deal to. I found 3 planet x dealers in my city...CrazY! So just ask around and you'll know what to do.

16. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

check out www.hbtrials.com also.. he has some good prices for stuff. and he is close to you!

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

MOST DEFINITLY....riding is alot funner/easier on the frame designed for the type of riding you're doing.

For $800USD you could get a brand new Norco Evolve.....I dunno if you'de dig that...it's complete, and just swap out a couple thing here and there, and when you're ready to get a better frame, just swap some of the components over.....definitly though...1st thing I would get is a KING and a Alex DX32. Since you're gonna have to unlace your rear to get the hub on, mineas well spend $30 and get the last rim you'll need...save yourself from an extra lacing.

The king will make your riding more enjoyable. Take out the crap lost energy and you'll have nice solid almost instant engagement. Everything else is for the most part preference, but the hub is definitly a must, LOL!