Observed Trials banner

Need a floor pump. Seriously.

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  NateE 
#1 ·
So my Specialized Air Tool pump from 1996 isn't broken yet, but I need something like it to replace it soon.

Problem is, I can't use a Trek or Specialized pump (I mean I can...but don't want to...we're not a Trek or Specialized shop.)

I really like how the Lezyne Dirt pump feels especially now that they have a speed chuck instead of the annoying thread on flipping shit, but it can't go over 60 psi. I don't want to have another pump for higher pressures. It's awesome otherwise. I've literally in a pinch pumped up my car tire to 35 psi from flat in under 50 pumps. :eek3danc:

I bought a SKS rennkompressor and it's great, except the chuck fucking sucks and you need hulk hands to get it to grab on. But even that bit aside, it takes a million fucking pumps to pump up a MTB tire. Great for a road bike.....but that's about it. It also needs to hve a smart head...no unscrewing shit to go from presta to schraeder and vice versa.

The Park feels like a cheap POS. Pedro's is just as shit. Blackburn takes 97845745 pumps as well.

So what's out there that will last me another 20 years? I don't mind spending even $200+ on the Silca if it's worth it, especially since it's rebuildable....but I can't remember if it's like the SKS, a million pumps to pump up a mtb tire. Is the Specialized Air Tool really the only good pump out there that can go high pressure AND high volume???

See less See more
#3 ·
How well do you think that would last in a shop setting? It looks like it has a lot of plastic...which I'm not against at all, just concerned about durability in a commercial setting.

#8 ·
No compressor?

If you're using it in a shop setting, I'd go for two pumps - one low volume road, one high volume mountain. Ones that do both aren't perfect at either, they're just mid volume. Kinda slow for a mtb, kinda annoying at high pressures for a road bike. You'll be putting half the wear on each one, and if one breaks or wears out you will always have a functioning one that will at least work while the other waits for spares or replacement.

#9 ·
We have a compressor, but sometimes it's just easier to grab a pump for people who are walking in and specific about psi. Also, we do a good bit of mobile work (like 75% of our revenue is mobile work,) so carrying around two pumps isn't really ideal/feasible.

Anybody have experience with the newer Silca pump?

#11 ·
Bought a Joe Blow Pro.....it took 38 pumps from flat to 40 psi to pump up a 2.2 mtb tire. Nice pump though, head and features are nice....appears to be sturdy enough for everyday use.

I guess the only way around the tons of pumping is to just suck it up and have 2 pumps....or carry around an air tank that has a gauge....

#12 ·
Turns out he Joe Blow Pro sucks ass. Head won't stay on past 85 psi and they're sending out a replacement head. It's apparently a known issue.

Also, I knocked it over one day and the damn needle on the gauge fell off! Thankfully it was pretty easy to take the cover off and reattach it.....but wtf, a pump that costs more wholesale than a Lezyne should NOT have these issues. That pump is a POS and lasted literally less than 3 months.....

#15 ·
^ No biggie. I'm always open to hearing suggestions and trying them out. Maybe the quality went downhill in manufacturing (probably the case) in the years from when you used it. I mean, the pump functions as it should once the head comes in, but that needle falling off and the head going bad in 3 months is kinda one of those things that really make you wonder why ti was so expensive if there are cheaper pumps out there that don't have those problems...

Andy, we just bought a Serfas....here's to hoping it didn't go down in quality as well from when you purchased yours.....that seems to be a common theme these days. A bunch of shit products getting modified to bring costs down...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.