Nano-technology and trials?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Sonic, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

2. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i really need to buy some nano-tech stock. soon

3. digby

digby New Member

the president of speedplay has a 10 pound mostly carbon road bike. With nanotubes ineverything I can see road bikes getting down to 6-7 pounds, ridiculous to think that 10 years in the future, there may be entire bikes lighter than my rear wheel.

dx32, king iso, fun bolts, michelen c16
    probably 5-6 pounds right there.

4. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

Technology is a wonderful thing :)

5. durkie

durkie Member

yes, you should invest. nanotech still scares the fuck out of a lot of people, so you should get in on the ground floor before while there are still problems holding back other people from investing

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

aluminum 4evar!

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

rims that grind themselves! oh what a wonderful thing! oh wait... nevermind...

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

You could probably hire and teach an illegal alien to grind rims and maintain bikes, give them like 50 dollars a month to do it all for you :dunno:

I'll look into it.

9. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Im sure they would work for less than that...

10. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

with a 6-7 pound road bike, It would be hard to not pull wheelies, you would need a 70mm bb drop. have fun with 40mm cranks!!!

11. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

All that stuff sounds cool.

But UCI has minimum weight rules for road bikes, 14.96 lbs. So with frames coming out weighing less than 1 kg, people are finding other places to put on heavier parts just to meet that rule.

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

or just longer chain stays?

13. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

14. kamil

kamil Guest

one of the more pointless applications of cnt (carbon nano-tubes) but an application none the less.

yay, now i can mix what i want to do as a profession and biking together.

i don't think you can make someone work with cnt for $50 a day, it would be a trust issue, million dollar equipment and a guy with a history of grand theft auto.... hmm..

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I was just talking about working on my bike and grinding the wheel, who cares about that fairy cnt shit.

16. digby

digby New Member

the minimum weights mainly for safety, so the peloton isnt riding bikes with frames that are only good for 6 hours of riding and then need to be thrown away. If this nano tube shit is really that strong, they may lower it someday. I think with the cdale 613 they had to glue some brass weights on it so it met the rules.

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I want a nano tube motorcycle jacket.

that made no sense.

18. durkie

durkie Member

team csc during the tour de france had to ask speedplay to make them heavier pedals. and tyler hamilton was broadcasting readings from the power meter put on his bike to make it heavier. that's neat and all, but still ridiculous...i think uci has a pretty conservative history, especially when it comes to the near-and-dear road bike.

19. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Random question: does UCI have minimum weights for any other types of riding? XC, DH, Trials, etc?

20. digby

digby New Member

nope pretty sure its just road bikes, thats the only place where it is an advantage. If they said your trials bike has to weigh at least 18 pounds, most of us could give a shit. I think Ive had one bike that was sub 20 pounds.