My Worst Enemy In Trials

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Dr Game, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

I've discovered what my worst Enemy is in trials... I'm sure you've all been there, it's momentum. Once I start trying to gap something consecutivly, i eventually pick up enough speed to make me fall forwards. I'm not saying I suck at lurching... on flat ground I could just hop around till i get tried. But gapping stuff I find i start going too fast...

What I've Tried:

Doing 2 or 3 hops on the spot to slow down myself
    Plane old balencing on the spot until I'm ready for the next one

I find doing 2 or 3 hops difficult sometimes, like I'll fall back or fall off to the side which i find really dangerous when your up high.

My worst enemy is momentum... can someone give me a tip?

2. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

practice. when i'm gapping/upping to something i always conciously try and get my weight exactly perfect so i can sit on the rail/whatever, decide what i want to do before i gap to something else. thinking about it that way has aided me in my balance, technique and smoothness. lean back a tad and push your rear wheel out in front of you to meet the edge you're gapping to. you need to be able to trust your brakes.

3. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

funny you say trust your breaks... mine are hard to trust... right now i'm running v-brake pads i took off my supercycle xti-18

4. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Trusting your breaks is the biggest factor in this, I think. Also, stick your legs out and absorb the impact before landing. That will get you started in the right direction and you won't be so apt to falling forward.

5. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

does anyone know how much 2 plasmatic pads would cost for v-breaks?

6. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

"These are for trials, don't get these for your XC bike."

why not? what if i do xc on my trials bike?

7. cogmog

cogmog Member

you will burn them down fast. they are ultra rubbery...trials specific only!

8. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

shoot... cus on my bike i've raced xc, and I plan on racing again, and I bike to the skatepark everyother day and that's quite a distance away.... so I guess if i were to have them, i should disconnect the breaks for distance?

and one more thing, how many hours do you think i could get out of a set?

9. fennell

fennell Guest

Just get a set for the back and only use your front brakes when going from A-B