My "revised" chain tensioner...pretty nifty.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Oct 1, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

My Kore tensioner completely sucked ass on my round stays. It wasn't on the chainline, and it kinda pushed the chain towards the wheel rather than down. So I was using a locked derailleur, but was still kinda unhappy about having to depend on a hanger, and if it got bent, I was fucked till I could source one from either Ken, or one from KHS that MIGHT NOT work.

So I found a cast aluminum bottle cage clamp that came with a little plastic bracket. I noticed that it could fit on my frame, so I ditched the plastic braket for the bottle bolts and used the bolts to secure a little oval bracket that's used for the baby seats on the back of thier bike. It's about 3/4 to 1" long and is specifically used for two bolts coincidently the size of the bolts I needed to use. Below are the pics of my 1/2 Kore other half bottle cage clamp and child seat bracket. So that it won't tension off, I used lock washers on the side of the head of the screw and lock nuts (the nuts with the little plastic rings inside). I put little rubber strips between the clamp and the frame so that it won't tear up the frame, and to add a little added grip. Looks pretty professional and like it's supposed to be like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think. It's pretty out of the way as far as impacts go, I don't have to worry about this BS hard to find hanger, and we have a TON of those bottle cage clamps and thousands of those little brackets. Only thing I may have to worry about is the tensioner itself, but they're only $15...so I may stock up on a couple....

2. besham

besham Guest

looks pretty good!

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Thanks, it's one of the few things I've rigged that turned out professional looking, haha.

4. manimal

manimal New Member

that is by far one of the best setups I've seen.. nice one forsure..

5. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

That is totaly cool. Good job.

6. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

whats up with your cog? It looks huge? good tensioner though looks nice.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

It's a steel King 18t :dunno:

I still do want a rennen though, just for curiousity's sake....