My Possible Quest for a New Frame

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Mar 25, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey there,
    I've been riding a used PX Zebdi Mk3 for a bit now, and have developed most of the basic skills of trials(the one thing i cant is the japslap/pedalup). I'm kinda looking for something different with shorter stays, little lower bb and slightly longer top tube. I have looked at the Zoo Boa and Pitbull which are both possibilities. I have also looked at the BT Raven which was another possibility. I'm looking for something V'mounts since I dont like Maguras much and love my Avids, and something with around 15in stays, 0 bb drop or maybe a tad like 5 degrees and something thats strong.

60% of my riding will be urban trials like riding universities and the other 40% will be natural/my garage. I'm a 130lb scrawny asian from New Jersey, so strength is important, but not at the top of my list. I'm not the smoothest rider all the time, but don't land on things with an HUGE thump. So my question basically is... Any ideas for a frame? Price is somewhat important, something like a BT Raven is in my range, and possibly something higher.

My choice of V mounts does put me away from the Koxxs, Echos and I guess the other Maggie brands. I work at a shop so the discounts on parts gives me more room to spend on a frame. I'm kinda in the "just looking" phase, but I just feel like I want something more trialsy than the PX. (and yes, I am kinda spoiled, but all of my bike shit is paid from my job and thus i'm not a JAP(Jewish American Prince(I'm not racist), sorry if this is offensive, Bill or Kevin or I will take/edit it out))

Pheww.

Thanks anyway,

Byron

PS. Desalvo is also on my list, but I'd have to find one used I think.

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if anyone ever decided to contract a machine shop to make some sets of maggie to vee adaptors that dont suck or even if you are willing to part with your avids down the line i would highly recomend taking a serious look at the levelboss frame. the desalvo stuff is grerat and all but it sure can run a pretty penny. the lb frame is really stout and will hold up very well for you. it will have maggies but there are tricks to make them work well. the cheat code is also a great bike to look at from koxx if you want something cheaper and not so uci-ish. i honestly cant say anything about the bt frame though they do look like a great value- only time will tell if they are good or not though. i can say i have not been impressed in the least bit by zoo stuff- the boa or the pitbull but then again- thats just my opinion.

as for the jap comment- i dont care :D . after all im o.g. jap right! not this accronym business! :Wavey:

3. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

kevin, do you call it a jap slap? hahahhahahah

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Haha, thanks Kevin for your quick response, and thanks for not taking the comment offensively.

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

a slap.

btw what part of jersey are you from..my school had 70% of girls being japs, none in colorado.

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

Princeton, New Jersey. Princeton is certainly a jap town.

7. B1105

B1105 New Member

Colorado seems mad relaxed, one of my sister's friends went to U of Colorado Boulder and liked it a lot.

8. WhiteRavenKS

no. that would be redundant and archaic. people dont call their cars a horseless carriage anymore right? besides, if anythign it should be a french-slap... just doesnt have the same ring to it.

racism is taken too seriously. only once have i ever been pissed at someone for race junk and thats more because he bitch kicked me in the shin and ran away. lets not have it get too out of hand here though (this means eveyone...) speaking of this, remember in the family guy when peter and chris are trying to get a scouts badge for observing 'wasps' and it was the upper class white family at dinner...? "jenny, did you knwo your mother is a whore?" hahahaha. great stuff.

9. Elan

Elan steve french

my maguras work perfect.

10. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea, I'm sure they do, and I don't doubt anyone who says they do, but I just like the simplicity of v brakes and feel with XTR levers.

PS> Is a 1085mm wheelbase too long for someone who is 5'9" and is a 5mm bb rise noticible?

11. Elan

Elan steve french

word about hte brakes....kevin is like 4'-10" and he rides a 1085...

12. WhiteRavenKS

depends on what you are coming from. if you are coming from zero drop bb, 5+mm rise will hardly affect you.

wheelbase. not a problem. i ride a 1080ish wheelbase frame and im maybe 5'7" on a tall day. marc caisso rides a 1080 wheelbase koxx better than all but a couple of people in the world and he is maybe 5'2" on his toes. you should fit really well on a 1080 i should think.

you would be amazed what you can get used to. i know carlos here in denver hated maguras with a pasion (maybe not THE pasion, but certainly a pasion) and he has run maggies now for over a year with no major troubles. he doesnt even think about it any more. he said that after a couple of weeks it never poped into his head that he was running something different. same thing happened to me when i had to run maggies on my koxx bikes. after a while, i never noticed unless i was conciously dwelling on "grr.... i dont like maggies"

edit- elan, i am 4'10" in metric inches. thats different.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

oh yea..
    '
    i hated maguras too, unti l irode andrew's biek one day, and then i was like, all i need is a koxx.

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

just a clarification jap has nothing to do with azns...only jews. plenty of them in jersey.

15. B1105

B1105 New Member

I heard that PX Zebdis have a slight bb rise, but not sure.

Thanks for the input so far.

16. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

kevin is a slanty eyed asian. watch out.

17. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

What's with all the JAP calling here I'm offended. J/K :D But I'm Japanese so you know.

18. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Also remember that the feel of the bike is also affected by the fork/size of front tire.

As far as the BT longevity goes. They are mainly used in the old land accross the ocean. There were some small issues with BT Raven 3.0, but nobody has broken a 4.0 which has larger tubes.

Edit. i am going to have 4 frames come in Mid-May. I guess we shall see
    what a few US people will think of them. (one is already sold)

19. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea I am currently running a Kona Project 2 rigid fork, which isnt trials specific at all, but works well. I belive its 400mm but really am not sure. Does a longer fork make it easier to stabilize on the rear?

20. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Once your front wheel is off the ground then it makes no difference how long it is. Just its weight. The rear wheel feel is affected by the head tube angle/stem/bars/chainstays