my new desalvo... parts? help!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by seattletrials, Jun 22, 2004.

1. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

Hey, I'm getting a new desalvo here in a couple weeks, and i am wondering how i should build it up, right now I'm planning on getting maggies front and rear, king rear hub. dx32's front and rear, bars and stem i'm not so worried about, and i already have a fork, but I'm wondering what kinda headset and front hub i should use. I'd like to save money. i might end up going king anyways, but if i can, i'd preffer to buy something less expensive than king stuf. I'm thinking a dt swiss onyx front hub because they are cheap and only like 150g. and i'm not sure for headset. what kinda crank should i get? right now i have a truvativ hussefelt, but i'm thinking bonz. but if there's something better or cheaper let me know! I want to keep it light, yet inexpensive. but still strong. any info will help! thanks!

2. Elan

Elan steve french

hub: go disc hub, because you will want to upgrade in the future... hugi/dt makes good hubs. as does wtb, shimano...everybody? front hubs are simple..just get what you want.

bars/stem: try-all is my recomendation there.

headset: i personally think King is hte only way to go... but then again, it doesnt really matter.

cranks..hmm...bonz are definately really nice. i would get those if you can. also really nice are middleburn, try-all, and tensile. teh truvativ should work fine for a while though.

dx-32's are always desireable even on the front.

1 person likes this.

3. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

is having disc up front make that big of a difference? i've noticed that most people have a disc up front. I might end up doing that anyways, but the fork i have doesn' thave disc tabs, but then again its only a surly so i'll probably end up gettin a planet x anyways. would a WTB LaserDisc Lite disc front hub be good? they say that they are strong enough for downhill, and they list the weight as only 140 grams. they are a little spendy, but for about 40 or 50 bucks more i could get a king, so i'm just not sure if that would be worth it.
    do you think the surly is a crap fork? it seems a little flexy, but not too bad, i'm only about 140lbs. I'm planning on drilling the dx32's as well, probably 1" or 7/8" up front and 3/4" in the back. for bars i'm thinking just going with azonic double walls, I like the way they feel (I've busted my wrists a couple times so if the bars don't fit my hands and wrists well i can't ride for more than 30 minutes).

4. Elan

Elan steve french

i ride the wtb laserdisc lite..it seems to have held up pretty good so far... a king is defiantely preferable however.

discs are the only way to go for front brake IMO... too many good qualities..not too many bad. but some people still do use v brakes and maguras.. its all personal preference in the end.

px fork isnt bad. heavy, but almost no flex. i have never ridden a surly fork. i would suggest getting a good aluminum fork, like the echo urban. they dont have a whoel lot of flex (at least not compared to my zoo), and they are nice and light.

go 7/8" both front and back rims. it will be easier, and make more sense.

as for th azonic bars..i cant imagine them being more comfortable than a good trials bar. trials bars are designed with no sweep, so your wrists are straight when you are trialsing it up, unlike conventional bars that have the sweep, so your wrists are angled.... they are also a little flexier, so that would probably help with the pain too. i suggest you try a set out for a while and see how you liek them. the echo or try-all bars seem like the only decent choices out there.
    it is posible that the azonics are better for you, but i doubt it.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

one more thing. you bought a desalvo... use v brakes in the back. seriously.

6. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

:ugh:

I think tryall bars are as un-comfy as having your face slowly pushed into the road at 40 miles an hour. Though some people do love them as elan said its all personal preference. You either love them or you hate them, in my experience.

7. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Ya Elan is right!!!

I've had SD7's front and back on my bike for a few months and they work amazing, much better then a Maggie on V mounts IMO. They are super cheap so you can save a lot of money there, and very easy to set up on a V mount compared to Mags.

Otherwise everything you said seems okay but give the SD7 V's a thought; they are certainly great brakes that I like a lot, and I am not the only one.

Desalvo is a great choice BTW, what is the geo on it and what colour you getting??

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Just for bar info...I'm switching to try-alls this upcoming week for 2 reasons-

1. VINCE RUNS THEM omgzA!!!!1 ( :rolleyes: )

2. On this XTP, plus the echo bars (both extremely stiff) every morning I wake up feeling like i fell at 50 mph into the pavement and stopped it with my hands. The try-all bars flex...which can be a very good thing- eventually they will snap, but until that point they are like cushions for your wrists and hands. If you are a big blubby 240 pound guy, I wouldn't get them because you will be bending the christ out of some really stiff bars anyway. But for the lighter folks- the flex is welcomed.

9. nidoss

nidoss Guest

Im currently running the sd 7's. I switched from maggies front and back and im much happier with the sd 7's then i ever was with the maguras.

10. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

andrew i thought you stopped riding?

i rode some tryall bars at mount snow for a little while and i didnt really like them, they seemed flexy compared to my monty bars, even though those arent the greatest either. and i like the way monty/echo bars sweep upwards, they arent just flat..i think it feels better compared to something like a regular MTB bar or a tryall. and the tryall also seemed thin for some reason, maybe the foam grips? but i dont know, i didnt ride them long. but im still buying echo bars

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Check right under his name ;)
    Right now I'm on some old Monty bars, which I am not liking much at all. I can't say whether or not they are stiff or flecksy, but i do know that the upward weep for some reason kills my wrists. That's why I'm getting some Try all's. One weird thing about the try alls is that when riding them, they feel great. But look at them when you're on the bike, and they appear to have a forward sweep (but in reality they dont) which is something darkside pointed out to me. Just kind of decieving to the eye i suppose.
    my vote goes to try all's, I like the way they feel (what i have tried of them) and they look pretty good to.

12. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Yes, vbrakes out back over maggies. MY SD-7s own hs33s.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

i honestly dont know how anybody rides with maguras on v bosses..i think even leech does..oh well. too much hassle. a good v-brake works amazing, and you set it and forget it. way reliable.

14. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

well as for azonic bars, I do like the sweep, because I've had a total of 5 broken wrists, so the sweep feels really comfortable for me. and as for my desalvo, it should have a 71.5 head tube, 15" stays, and 1080 wheel base. I'm pretty sure that i'm jsut going to go clear coat so you can see the discoloration from the welds, I just think it looks really cool. I can't really think of any other colors that I'd want. but if anyone knows of a color that would be cool let me know. but I really do like the look of the raw steel(that won't rust).

15. Elan

Elan steve french

raw steel would be what i would get, but i forget what mike said about that. have yo uasked him? it seemed to me that hte clear coating wouldnt be posible is hwat he said??? ... otherwise. anthracite, graphite, gun metal.... all of thsoe kinda colors look pretty damn cool.

16. besham

besham Guest

I dont think anyone touched on a headset other than king. For a cheap one, check out cane creek, it has sealed bearings and looks real nice. Also if your not counting grams, the FSA Pig is tough enough for DH and has huge oversized bearings in the bottom and is only $25.

17. bigd

bigd Guest

i used maggies mounted to v's with no big problems.

go for a v in the back on canti bosses, they're easier to deal with. get a salsa booster, it fits perfectly.

the pig dh runs on ball bearings, the dh pro runs on cartridge bearings and isn't much more at all. ive used one for over 2 years and have absolutely zero problems. its a little heavier than a king, but shit man its a headset.

raw steel (even if its clearcoated) will rust because the steel is still exposed... it can start to spiderweb under the clearcoat. the paint (included) or powdercoat (costs more) both have rust inhibitors to keep the metal conditioned properly.

18. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, that was the problem with the clearcoat... i remembers now. get something cool. like chrome d-lux!

19. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

Go with a disk hub no matter what.

As for a headset, Kings are the best.
    Then I'd go for an FSA Orbit.
    Cane Creek C2s are pretty damn light and work fine so if you are really tight on money that would be a good way to go

20. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

well, thanks for all the input. I decided to just shell out the cash and get all king stuf. It turns out that both hubs are in stock and i should be getting them in a week or so. for other stuf it was like a 2 month wait at the longest. i was reallly shocked, but i guess its because they just moved to portland. so i'm out a couple hundred bucks, but i got the biggest unpaid expence paid for now. now i'm just waiting for my frame, and to build up the wheelset... and for to get some other parts... and... and... and... well hopefully i'll be riding my brand spankin new bike within a month... I hope