My new Boa

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by bonzai, Apr 4, 2004.

1. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs:

-Boa frame - canti mounts
    -Surly steel rigid fork - disc compatible
    -Bonz square taper cranks - 170mm
    -Shimano LX bb
    -Vp platform pedals
    -Oury grips
    -Avid sd3 levers/Deore v brakes/ Spanish Fly pads -rear
    -Shimano Sora rear der./KMC Z chain/kooka 22t ring/sram 5.0 -cassette/sram 7 spd shifter
    -LX hub/rhyno lite rear wheel/Tioga 2.3
    -Deore disc hub/Alex DM24 front wheel
    -px bars and woodman 105/10deg stem

Its been a great ride so far. :bigthumb: More pics on my website

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

let me guess, you buy from Ken, me too, he's the best in the buiss as far as I'm concerned.

I hate the bars, they look terible for trials, the rest of the bike looks sweet! good colors, good chain line, very well selected parts. Congrats.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea definitley get rid of the bars if you can, lower rise bars or even trials specific bars will really help your learning.

4. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Thats a shame you got the Zoo version. Shoulda got the Planet X boa. It is way better, and best of all the stickers don't reek of homosexuality. Well okay maybe they do, but not as much!

[​IMG]

5. alexm

alexm Member

They both wreak of zoo to me.

nice work bonzai, that really does look like a great bike. i dont know if you should get rid of the bars or not, depends what style you want to adapt. that bike looks pretty versatile right now, a few part changes here or there could make it either street or very trials specific in my opinion.

Alex

6. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Nice bike bro!

Just for your own safety, I would blank out that plate on your tracker on your pictures...

7. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

Ya I bought it from Ken. Great guy to deal with.

As for the bar, I tried the flat bar but I didn't like it. So I am going to stick with this bar for now. Also I figured as I get better I will upgrade to better parts. :bigthumb:

8. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Did Ken give you some deals on parts or your bike???

I like the OURY's. they are my favorite. Cause you can get any color you want. Or pretty close anyway.

How much did you pay for the complete bike? Please be honest.

Just curious how prices turn out when you buy things from that site.

Thanks . Enjoy the cool ride.

9. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

I told him what parts I wanted and then he gave me a total price for the bike which was $1500.

The grips are awesome. Ken put the green ones on to match the stickers which will probably be ripped of in the next few rides :D

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

hey Rob.K, if you compare the prices of thetrialsinshop against webcyclery, you will see there is hardly any difference, some parts a little more and some a little less. I've ordered alot of both biking and nonbiking shit off the internet and there is no person or company I would rather deal with the Ken. I've ordered 3 or 4 times from him and have been overly satisfied with the product and service. He ships with UPS and I get my stuff to Calgary in 2 days, that means he ships right away. Good packaging, good shipping pricing, the best payment system. I've probably said all this before but I think its very important that good and bad retailers are talked about, it keeps standerds up and cash to those who deserve it, also helps other people looking to buy stuff.

Is that a PX seat, it looks cool but would look better if you could stuff it down a little more. Take a grinder to the underside of it.

11. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

bike looks dope, congrats...the bars do look a bit clumsy but maybe it's just the angle of the photo or something...

12. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

I agree. The good retailers should definitely be mentioned. Thats how I found out about Ken/The trialsin shop. Webcyclery was also good place to shop. MeanTodd was pretty good about answering my questions.

Before finding out about him the only other trials shop I found was in Downtown Vancouver. The sales rep there were more concerned about talking with each other then helping customers. After talking to them over the phone a few times I went down there and it was f*&king pointless. I won't mention the name but its on the corner of Denman and West Geogia, close to Stanley Park for those of you familiar with Vancouver.

As for the seat, I took it off. I now realize I don't do much sitting so I would have been better off buying the boa without the seat tube. Oh well...

13. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Ya but if you did that, I would have been stuck with the one with a seat, and that would have bugged the hell out of me lol.

We musta both bought ours within days of one another or something. And ya Ken is awesome, mine got here in 2 days as well.

14. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

Thats funny. My frame took awhile though but it was worth the wait.

15. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Here's my bad boy. I got it a week after I tried Bonzai's bike. We ride together. The new bike makes pedal hoping so much easier. I couldn't believe the difference. I really like the bike and I practice pretty much everyday now.

I don't have the parts list on my cuz I'm at work. I'll add it later.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to one of my first pedal hops I tried that didn't go so well :eek:

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/bike-trials/maciek_square_wipe_out_.avi

16. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Thanks for the opinions on the shops guys. That makes me feel comfortable buying from him.

I first liked the idea of discussing things with Ken rather than having a shoping cart. I just like having that personal help.

It's great that we have such a good site for trials gear here in Canada, really makes things easier.

17. nidoss

nidoss Guest

do you guys like those bonz cranksets? I was thinking about getting me a pair for my px. :bigthumb:

anyway, nice looking bikes.

18. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

They do the job for me! :bigthumb: