My crank bolts keep falling out!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Daniel_Fouillard, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Can someone please hhelp me out here, my crank bolts keep falling out and I don't know how to get them to stay. I would use LockTight but my friend did that and stripped his bolt trying to get it out and then had to weld an Allen key to it to get it out!

2. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

How long does it take to fall out? If its just falling out as you say, then basically new cranks are in order. I had this problem with my Raceline rhino when I first got it. Really you need to make sure its tightened properly before you ride it.

Other people may have more info. good luck!

3. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

check ur crank bolts b4 every ride, its a maintance point....it really is..... some cranks will be tight everytime, most wont

4. Tanner

Tanner New Member

blue loctite.

5. These cranks are brand new. I guess I'll have to breakdown and use some LockTight. thanks guys

6. LilMoney

LilMoney New Member

If You use Loctite use only the blue loctite. any others will require heat to remove.

7. atypical

atypical Guest

You might try plumbers teflon tape- the thin white strip you see plumbers use to join two threaded pipes. It makes a watertight seal, thus it'll prolly be really snug and best of all, easy to reverse & real cheap. But yeah, blue loctite is great too.

8. stinkybastard

stinkybastard Guest

loktite 242

if your bolts are falling out I would check the crank/ axle interface as in most of the cases Ive seen they are rounded and no manner of liquid etc would solve(inherent for taper)
    if your cranks are fine and not rounde, clean the bolt with a rag.
    if taper, clean crank/spindle interface w/ alcohol(the contact points have to absolutely clean, take the crank bolt apply loktite solution to the first 2 threads, and apply grease to the flat surafec where the bolt rubs against the crank, this will prevent a possible creak and helps to accuratly achieve torque. that of which you should know and should apply, it is often overlooked but very vital.
    Hope this helps you out in the future.

9. Yoda

Yoda They see me rollin'

Yes make sure you check your crank bolts for tightness before you ride. And use heavy steel ones.

I have personal experience with this where I was using aluminum bolts and did not check the tightness. Well I go to pedal kick off the top of a picnic table and all the bolts snap and I fall on my face and hit my knee on a rock-and some people were watching when it all happened. So be safe and check your bolts.

10. Echorider316

Echorider316 New Member

My friend had the same problem on his p2 and blue locktite fixed it right up.