My completed Monty

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by DaneBrammage, Sep 16, 2004.

1. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

[​IMG]

I got my x-lite a couple of months ago. It was kind of in sketchy condition when I got it so I did a few things to spice up the looks and performance. Maybe some of the ex or current Monty dudes can tell.
    Anyway I'm really happy I got it. This place I'm renting has an old hardwood floor in it and when winter comes I'll be able to wire a few skills indoors while it snows outside. As a matter of fact this old floor was the first place I ever pedalkicked, so it will always remind me of that. The pics below are after several hours where I went from finally learning to pedalkick the rear tire off the ground on a totally flat surface (longest was 5ft) into putting some pallets down and seeing what would change. I discovered I needed about a foot of space between my rear contact patch and the actual gap. When I tried to poise the rear on the very edge and then gap I wound up flat on my back after looping out.

Its funny that it took me almost 10 months to feel ready to pedalkick, but when I was finally ready to, it only took a few hours of doing it to come up with the pic sequence below. Its easy and fun to do.. I dont know what all the fuss was about!
    :)

[​IMG]

2. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Nice! Old school monty.. I see no gussets on the rear though. First gen blue? All I notice that's different is an aftermarket headset, sun pedals, a threshold, and maybe a non-monty stem?

3. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

The paint job is bitchen.. its like a two-tone metallic. It changes from blue to purple-blue depending on the angle. Headset is a King. Drilled Threshold. 72pt White freewheel. Monty stem I painted black. Also made the crankarms black. The best thing I did for the looks was to remove the thin chrome plating on the forks! They are natural aluminum-looking now; like brushed aluminum. It looks wayyy better in my opinion.

Thanks to Tim @ trialsin (as usual) for his advice and help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  4. Orkje

Orkje New Member

Looks quite nice!
    Ah, pedalkicking is fun indeed!

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

that monty actually looks good! I'm a little jelous.

6. digby

digby New Member

I hope you dont live on the 2nd floor.

I used to do that thing too with pedal kicking, keeping the rear wheel a foot back and then gapping. Its not such a good habit. I found that out when My head slammed into the ground, when i was trying to gap some pillars that did not have a foot of space on the very top of them.

Its worth it to learn to do it right. Landing on your back off a pallet isnt such a big deal. flipping over the bars when your 3 feet up is.

7. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

No there is no 2nd floor :)

But if you dont mind would you describe a little bit what you think is the main thing you change about gapping from an edge instead of gapping from a foot back?
    Its something that I will have to learn on my own, I understand that, but if you could boil the difference down and then cut to the chase without beating around the bush it might help me a little.
    Thanks in advance.

8. enron

enron Guest

its diferent by the new monty ;)

9. BenR

BenR Active Member

Looks nice. I have a 1996 monty x-lite i posted it a couple days ago.

10. jmlora

jmlora New Member

The difference of gapping from the edge instead of from a foot back, is how you position your body at the launch. From a foot back, you´re just using your pedals to get you to the other side. If you throw your body backwards and downwards after the jump, and not moving your pedals too much, you´ll be able to do gaps from small edges. Try to watch TRA or Benito, or Stephen Maeder in his earlier days, and you´ll see how the gap. It´s hard to explain, so you should better watch those vids! and good luck with that, it´s also time consuming to learn it and do big gaps

11. digby

digby New Member

the main difference between the two is that when your gapping from a foot back, you used that foot of space and pedaling to get your momentum going forwards, so what your actually doing is rolling a bit forward with the brake off and then taking off.

when you do it properly, your brake is locked, and you start your momentum for the gap by dropping the front end of the bike down and getting some of your weight over the front of the bike. When you take off theres no rolling at all. It is hard to explain, but not hard to practice. Go out with one of your pallets to a parking lot, and find one of those little curbs that round or square on top(the things that keep you from going further up in the parking space) get on back wheel on top of that thing and gap to the pallet. You will quickly find out, why gapping the old way is a bad idea when your wheel rolls backwards off the curb.

12. t-pro 2002

t-pro 2002 Guest

13. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Where do you get those Magura stickers? I might have to buy a mod someday..

14. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

The stickers were courtesy of Magura USA in the course of me buying many things from them. They have 3 colors of Magura logos: yellow for bikes, and blue and red are each for other applications (one is industrial, etc.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004