Multi-use setup

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by dankilling, Nov 5, 2004.

1. dankilling

dankilling More old than school

Hey-

I have a SC Chameleon right now that I use as my trail/jump bike, it is singlespeed,and has a suspension fork. If I wanted to use this stil as a trail/jump bike, what would you suggest to improve its trials capability? I run 34-18(or 20) ratio so I can pedal up to speed to jump, btu I am reading most people here use almost a 1:1 gear ratio. Also, I run a short stem (90mm) with wide bars (26 inch) and 175mm cranks, with a 100mm fork. Ok, now I am just rambling.....

Thanks-
    /Dan

2. dookie

dookie Guest

all around bike?

I think if you put a rear derailleur on your bike you'd have an okay setup for DJ and trials.

If you went to a 22 tooth front sprocket and a road bike rear cassette (11-24 cogset) you'd probably be okay. The 22/11 and 22/12 ratios are close to your current 34/18 ratio for DJ, and you'd have some good trials gears as well. (22/20 or so) Get a bash ring for the front sprocket.

If your forks are adjustable, you can stiffen the compression and loosen the rebound for trials stuff.

The brakes need to be good & strong.

I have lots of fun on my 30+ pound Azonic DS-1 with front/rear derailleurs and 100mm travel fork. I broke the lockout on the forks while trialsin, though. (Manitou Black)

3. dankilling

dankilling More old than school

I can run an 22 sprocket on the inner bolt circle of my cranks, so that is OK, but does anyone make a smaller bashguard? My current one is for 34-tooth sprockets...also should I run a road deraileur with the road cassette, or will a regular long-cage LX be OK?

4. dookie

dookie Guest

You should be able to get a trials specific bash guard from Webcyclery, Trialsin or Faction bikes. They are smaller than the 34 tooth guard you have. I'd recommend it because the 34 tooth is going to bash on lots of obstacles that a trials ring will clear.

A long cage and regular MTB cassette will work. However, the short cage derailleurs are lighter, smaller, and less likely to get damaged. I prefer the SORA derailleur: strong spring, dirt cheap ($20) from Webcyclery. Cheap is good, because eventually you will destroy it!

The road cassette is lighter and typically has gears that are closer together, IE: 1 tooth increments from one gear to the next. You will typically only use 1-2 gears while trialin, so the closely spaced gears help you select the perfect gear for your style. Most trialers use the rear sprockets that are 18 to 21 teeth for trials moves. You never use the larger, lower gears (first second and third gears, mid 20s to low 30 teeth) and you may use the taller gears to pedal to and from your riding spots.

The short cage derailleur is more necessary than the road cassette, in my opinion, but only if your current cassette has a gear that works for you.

I believe that Trialsin has a stock "conversion Kit" that has a short cage derailleur, 7 speed cassette and some other goodies for like $70. Check it out.

http://www.trialsin.com/start.htm

5. Genital Apparatus

Genital Apparatus I like dirt.

How is a short cage rear derailleur less likely to get damaged?

6. Elan

Elan steve french

because its not as long. therefore there are two structural advantages that you get when you use a short cage derailleur.

1: you are actually less likely to hit it on things. the difference is slight, but some count that as reason enough to run fag roadie-fairy derailleurs.

2: the shorter cage has less mechanical advantage over the hanger than a long cage dose. therefore, if you do happen to catch the cage on say a rock, or a wooden wall, or even a metal wall, or maybe a rock wall if you are skilled enough, then you are less likely to break your hanger in this situation. but only by a negilgable amount. but still, some people see this as reason enough to warrant the purchase of an elite faggot bicycle part, such as a dura-ace short-cage derrrr-ailer.