Mount Snow

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Cory, May 27, 2004.

1. Cory

Cory Guest

I am planning on going to Mt. Snow and Competing in Stock Sport Class. Can somebody please give me some idea what to expect for the sections and their difficulty? Any input from riders who saw the sport sections at Big Bear would be appreciated. Thanks,

Cory

2. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

the sections are usually pretty difficult especially since this is a worlds qualifier. expect steep downhills to immediate stops, having to get over logs or rocks that are on a hill. Also expect that it might rain... since it almost always rains at mt snow. see you there

3. think

think Guest

This will be my first UCI comp, and I also hoped to get some more details about Sport Stock Norba sections:

------------------------------------------------------------
    1. What skills are/not required?
    2. What are the largest ups/drops to expect?
    3. Does anyone have any pics to share?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in one of the awkward between-class-stages, where the Beginner sections usually look un-intersting, and the Sport sections look like 5-ville.

JP, three rounds of five sections sounds great! Does anyone have any info on why it seems that registration double-charges you for entry? You pay $XX to ride a class, and then $XX to ride that same class. This event is costing me what three local events would cost. Not a complaint, just a curiosity...

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get better

Nick

4. Cory

Cory Guest

Think, I am wondering the same thing. My guess is that they charge the $35 to cover the cost of setting up the sections. When only a few riders show up and it takes several people hours with heavy equipment to move rocks and logs around it isn't feasable to spread this cost over the entry fee, hence the separate fee. (Notice that the Pro's pay more which would make sense becouse their obstacles are larger)

5. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Well, they charge you to join NORBA, this depends on your riding level with pro riders paying over 100 dollars.

In theory this money goes to help promote the sport, in the past that did not happen with trials, but I am hopefull that those days are over and that now they will use some of that money for promotion of trials. This is a one time fee for the whole year, you can do as many NORBA events as you like with just this one "huge" once a year fee and if you are good enough you can even make the world team and travel with them. I don't like the fee, but if we want a system that works we are going to have to pay for it.

The other fee is for the actual comp, the local promoter of the event gets that money for the work they do in building courses or for getting some one else to do it for them. They also pay part of that fee to NORBA because the NORBA name is a "drawing" tool. There is a lot of debate about that! However, there is no debate about it in trials, the NORBA name is not a drawing tool for trials. However, NORBA events do pull in sponsors.

So if you are like most US trials riders you take it in the shorts to do a NORBA National event, but hopefully in the long run the money you spend will help your sport and hopefully you.

I am sorry, I have no idea what to expect for courses, but if you use the comp in the right way, you will learn alot about what your true level of riding is!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

6. Cory

Cory Guest

Jim the $35 trials fee ($55 for Pro's) is seperate from both the entry fee or the norba registration fee. The entry fee for sport is $35 and the one day norba license is $5. All of this information came from active.com's entry form

7. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Okay, now maybe I should look before I speak, I will look at the site, that sounds like a mistake, but who knows!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

8. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

i didnt put anything in the dropdown that let you choose Pro, Non Pro, and all that. just sport mod...is that bad?

i second that. now im not too sure if i should have chosen sport or not. and its my first comp so i have no idea what to expect. :joshers:

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you need a year long membership to norba to ride expert. sport and beg can buy the one day 5 dollar deal. pro is a nightmare i had to put up with in big bear. bah- whatever, if you're not upgrading it shouldnt be a problem.

as for those questions above-
    work on not using your bash/pedals very much. just work on making sure you dont clip your cranks going over something and types of things like that. dont think that you CANT go to bash or pedal or you will have a hand chopped off. it's just a dab or two. if you can do something to metal but not to rubber, make sure you still go for it.

drops- nothing over 6 feet really in pro/expert. sport- probably around 3 feet. ups- pro grande taco sized, expert bar height is pretty large, sport, not too much bigger than something you could put your front wheel on top of, beginner, nothing over a foot or so.

no pics from me, sorry- i cant help there.

10. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

if you go to bash, then put your pedal on the object as well, is that 2 dabs? i think i can avoid my bashguard for most of the courses..will having a short bike affect me much in sport competition compared to something like a LB or echo?

11. average mike

average mike Guest

Question for people who have done norba events before: WTF class do i enter in? I want to do expert mod, and i am 14 years old. None of the classes on the registration form apply to me, except for the "Y1" or whatever, but i dont know if thats mod or stock. Please help??

12. xumbyx

xumbyx Guest

...yea i was wondering that too, I had posted something about it a week or two back but there was no response.... Anyone going to the CO springs event that could possibly ask JP or Steve Arrowood?

Mike Umbarger