More drivetrain questions for Kevin

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cousinkenni, Jun 23, 2004.

1. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

Kevin,

You mentioned that if you get the 16t Middleburn, then you should run a BMX style chain due to the low coverage of the bashring. Do you run one of these chains? Do you run a king hub w/ 9spd cassette?

The reason I ask is normally a BMX chain is much wider and not compatible with other systems. Hell, it's hard to get an 8spd chain to shift properly on a 9spd cassette nevermind a super wide BMX chain.

Ken T.

2. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

He has them spaced out. Two spacers on each side of the cog, if I remember correctly.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

As does every single trials rider I have ever met :dunno:

(no on runs 9 speed, everyone just runs ~6 cogs...no full cassettes, unless you are in canada)

1 person likes this.
  4. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Haha. I have a trials gear and a skate park gear on my bike. No more and no less.

5. sebLG

sebLG New Member

well iiiiii have 2 king kogs. hahaha, but if i use the big noe the gear will so low that you would top at something like 1 km per day.

6. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

I run 5 gears, rarely use any other than my trials gear. It's 9 speed spacing, and my 22t front ring lets me get away with 9 speed chains.

As for the bmx type chains, they won't work with 9 speed spacing if you expect to shift. Koxx chains work on the cassettes Koxx specs on their bikes, which are 6 cogs with 7 speed spacing.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

on the bright side, yo ucan use two of hte same chain rings on the rear under a bmx chain. so you will never have to look at them again

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

im running a full cassette for now, it works, but im itching to get my bike under 25lbs, and keep a kniffen fork, so im going to have to order the super light soon, breaking up a cassette to a 5 speed will help too

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

use a 1mm or even a .5mm bb spacer on each side of your most used cog. the bb spacers are the same size as the spacers used in cassettes just with different widths. if you do it right you can still sort of shift effectively (though it is rough and road bike billies riding by will say "I say Nigel, that bike's shifting is not near as crisp as my new campy carbon record groupo... what say you we go spin for three hours looking at each other's sweaty asses the whole time?").

i think that may have been over the top.

10. durkie

durkie Member

i think you really really REALLY want to run a BMX chain with that 16tooth middleburn chainring. not just because the bashring doesn't cover that well, but because 16 teeth is ridiculously small and the chain gets a significantly larger amount of torque on it than it would if it were riding on say, a 22 tooth chainring.

11. sebLG

sebLG New Member

how do you fit a bmx chain through your dereilleur? and dos a bmx chain fit on the middleburn super pro trials thing? i want me a bmx chain.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

yes, jsut do it. indonesia style

13. B1105

B1105 New Member

shit, im running 8 speeds, need to get with the program

14. Elan

Elan steve french

8 speeds?!?!?! what is this? teh vintage trials chat is over at bt.com ... get a clue

1 person likes this.
  15. Elan

Elan steve french

Decent sarcasam, although I still don't get the use of "teh" unless it's an uncontrollable ADD thing.

its a typo. every time i say "teh", i mean 'the'. i always make htat typo, and i dont know why. oh no. so com'on feel the noize.

16. WhiteRavenKS

hahahahaha.

yes most bmx chains will run through your deraillure. its not a hard thing to fix either if it doesnt. just go to the hardware store, get longer bolts and a couple of washers and open up the cage a little for more room.

17. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

Strange, i have been using a KMC kool BMX chain in my shimano sora mech, and there is no rubbing there, i have never had a trouble with it, and nor has my mate who uses a shimano 105mech.

18. d o n o v a n

d o n o v a n Guest

So I'm a loser I guess then... I'm running an 8 speed Ultegra cassette. I was told that having a more solid "spider" cassette was better for the hub... have I missed something?

Where can I find reliable info on tech shiat like this?

19. d o n o v a n

d o n o v a n Guest

PS. I'm not on a pure trials bike... I'm on a Moment... not sure if that makes me more or less of a cassette loser. :D

20. WhiteRavenKS

the kmc kool chain is the same width as a normal mtn bike chain... or so says my chain tools at least. should be no rubbage problems there. i had no clearance issues with a sram pcx-7 chain either.