monty 219alp bash guard

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by dubyman, May 9, 2004.

1. dubyman

dubyman Guest

ok, I ordered a monty alp (beginner) and I know Im going to have problems with the stupid bash guard because the chain ring passes the gaurd. could you guys please give me a simple way to fix this problem. :down:

2. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You can get X-lite cranks and run a freewheel up front and that will give you more clearance. Why is the bash plate not covering the chain ring? Did you hit it pretty good?

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

x alps come stock with the bash not covering the chain :greddy:

4. dubyman

dubyman Guest

no i didnt hit it and i dont even have the bike yet, but how much are the x-lite cranks? and I know its a free wheel so do you have to replace the rear hub?

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

x lite cranks are 70 or so, and they are pieces of shit. DO NOT GET THEM. get bonz cranks, and save up for them. no, you don't have to replace the rear hub.

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You will have to get a 12T tooth cog for the rear hub though. X-Lite cranks are ok but will twist after some time. They are about 80~100 depending where you look.

7. manimal

manimal New Member

I have an echo crankset on my alp.. seems to be alright, the free wheel rubs the bb shell after along time of riding.. not sure what thats about.. pretty sure its the spindle length

anyhow.. the echo seems alright, plus its way cheaper than the bonz and x-lite... lacks the pimpness of bonz though..

8. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Aaron, congradulations, now you wont have to ride that uni ;)

The x-lite cranks aren't horrible, but some people do have problems with them. Mike has had his for a really long time without many issues.

Are you going to be at the ride tomorrow night? If so we can talk more then...

Pancho

9. dubyman

dubyman Guest

yeah im going, see you there

10. CHERRIO

CHERRIO New Member

yea...i had the same proble the tooth is 24 and it goes over they bash ring whenever u up and hit bash the ring bends soo bad so i went to a frewheel upfront and a smaller cog in back
    but since u had the problem i did ull need a new crank arm

or sell the monty bec there shit:)..i sold mine:):)
    ride brisa like me!!!

11. unlimits

unlimits New Member

I have the same problem and I don't know what I'll do. Perhaps you can put the monty hydra/x-lite bash guard that is bigger and cost about 36$ and don't have to change the cranks.

12. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

you can sell the x-alp... i broke mine, but for the love of god, don't go brisa.

13. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

brisa = french for "broke"

serious.

- Joel

14. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

haha typed it into google translator, and so it does. :rofl:

15. funkysensubean

funkysensubean Guest

hey, i need a new crankset because i stripped the threads. i currently have an x-alp, and i desperately need to ride, so im thinking about getting echo cranks over X-lite cranks since theyre both about the same cost. where could i get a 12T tooth cog (how much should it cost)?

16. besham

besham Guest

I used to have a x-alp and I know what you are talking about, but it really didnt cause any problems for me. And believe me I am hard on the bashplate, mine is bent all to hell but it still worked. I would just run a good bmx chain (kmc kool)and not worry about it. Ride it until you mess up your cranks or chainrings. By then your frame will be starting to crack anyways and youll be ready for a new bike. Ha ha, mine lasted about 2 years and I broke the frame like 2 months after switching to fornt freewheel cranks.

17. funkysensubean

funkysensubean Guest

im going to have the following parts:
    - Echo front freewheel mod cranks
    - ACS Claws 18T freewheel (i currently have this)
    - some sort of 12T cog

so my question is how do i put this stuff on? i have no experience with this stuff and i dont have any of the tools. im willing to purchase the necessary tools to finish the job. And im also looking for the 12T at a cheap price, im not sure what its called, track cog? fixed cog? im gonna be going around shops and i dont want to look like a fool. i was also wondering if this drivetrain is transferable to a stock bike?

18. besham

besham Guest

You will need a 8 mm allen wrench, a crank puller, a freewheel tool, and a chain whip(optional).
    You will probably have trouble finding a "fixed cog" or "track cog" from your lbs, you might get lucky but you will probably have to order from webcyclery or trialsin.com.

19. Tanner

Tanner New Member

and a longer BB if you don't want to grind off the removal tabs :eek::

20. unlimits

unlimits New Member

The new monty alp 2005 has a new bash guard that is made of aluminum. It looks bigger and perhaps you could fit it in your bike...