Mono Trials

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by smudge, Nov 1, 2004.

1. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

My Hope Mono Trials brake was delivered today. I'll give it a proper review when I have the time. For now, some information and pictures.

Initial impressions:
    The brake is obviously different from the standard Mono Mini when you have the opportunity to hold them both in your hands. The caliper is feels much lighter than the standard Mono Mini. My setup, including brake, all hose, rotor and bolts weighs 383g. I didn't bother to get exact measurements of the piston diameter, but I would guess that it's 3-4 mm larger than the non trials version. The pads are unique to this brake and swept area is also 3-4mm greater as would be expected.

Installation:
    Set up is identical to that of any other brake Hope has made. However, In my particular case, due to the larger slave piston (and larger caliper) there was some interference between the caliper and my spokes. I couldn't set the brake up with ideal alignment for the time being. The end result is that I have some slight drag on the inside portion of the rotor...better than wearing away the caliper or spokes.

Feel & Power:
    Most Hope brakes feel very solid at the lever...Much like a properly setup Magura rim brake. I would say that this feels more like an RB lever on an HS-33 on a Crescent with no booster. It's pretty mushy. Given the master/slave piston ratio, it's to be expected. Different than a mushy feeling rim brake, which is typically due to flex and rotation of the seat stays, there is very little detectable flex in the caliper or lever of this brake. I'm assuming most of the detectable flex is coming from initial hose expansion and slight pad compression. I wouldn't say the flex is bad, but it's a change if you're used to a firmer brake.

As I haven't had the proper opportunity to bed in the pads, I don't know of it's full potential power. After riding around in the driveway with the brake dragging for about five minutes, I can easily lock the brake with very little finger pressure. My experience with Hopes leads me to believe that the brake will get much more grabby over time. As it stands, the brake is also very controllable...modulation is great...I expect that it will be a bit more difficult as the brake beds in, so we'll see and I'll post again once I've had sufficient time to ride it.

Out with the old...

[​IMG]

In with the new...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

awesome- i didnt think they were going to be ready until early 05...

im very interested to see what you think of the brake after some wear in time.

3. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Hmm, i'll definitely have to ride a few before i think about buying one then... That sounds pretty horrible IMO.

Thank you for the mini review though, and the pictures :)

Adam

PS: That rotor looks very very......... whats the bloomin word......... scant... nope... err... minimalist :drool:

4. smudge

Who says they're available? :hsugh: Actually I don't know for sure. William at Hope made it sound like they went through a great deal of bother to get this one to me. I think it's the one they had at Interbike.

Me too. The mushy feeling certainly won't bother me. They're already more powerful than the standard Mono Mini I had on there, which is nice. If all works out, I'm going for a ride tomorrow night. It should be good and bedded in by the end of that ride. Now if I can just keep my fork from taking the crap...any suggestions Kevin?

5. WhiteRavenKS

my suggestions? well brisa fork... well nevermind, thats not fair, they dont fail at the disk/dropout.

i guess i wasnt sure why your brake is hitting the spokes. can you re-dish the wheel to get that out of there or can you ream a bit off the disk tabs and make it sit farther outboard from the wheel?

i have yet to feel a hope disk on a trials bike feel as good as my avids have but if they get it right with this one... might make a convert out of me. im very anxious to see how these things work out. if they are half as good as the prototype vincent had i will pee my pants.

6. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

sean, i didnt know you were still riding trials? hmmm.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

As far as I knew the last time he rode was in may? :hsugh:

8. netto

netto New Member

how much did u pay for them?
    i thought they were silver?
    is the lever just a normal mini lever?

9. Mehukatti

Mehukatti Guest

i'm looking forward to that brake. i have currently a magura marta with steel braided line and RB lever of new leak proof design (the adjustment knob at the end of the master cylinder has been removed). the power and hold is awesome but i would like a bit more modulation for some moves. and of course this is an opportunity to spend more money on bike. ;)

10. smudge

call me a poser. I still WANT to ride trials. It's a matter of making the time to get out and to it. I'm going to ride in Bethesda tomorrow for a few hours after work and before the polls close.

Maybe not May, but sadly it's not too far away from the truth. With the 70-80 hour work weeks and 3 hours per day of commuting, it doesn't leave much riding time left in the week.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  11. smudge

I don't know how many different hubs would have this specific problem. Mine is a King Universal disc with the 13mm adaptor. I could always get a 14mm adaptor and get rid of the problem. This is a notorious problem with these hubs and Hope brakes.

I've had this happen with this hub in the past on some Hope C2 brakes. Essentially the caliper is too wide and grazes the spokes about an 2 inches away from the flange. On the C2, I filed away some of the material to get it to clear as the interference was pretty significant. I'll try a different wheel and see if the problem still exists.

Facing the brake mount along wouldn't fix the issue. I'd have to space the rotor further from the hub also.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

i dont see a possible way anything could be better than an 8" avid with good stuff..will be interesting. vincents brakes didnt seem all that great, but i didnt ride his bike on rocks.

13. WhiteRavenKS

are you kidding? i barely looked at his front brake one time and fell on my face it worked so good.

14. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

I want to know how this brake will work on the rear wheel. Of course, if it does work well, it will probably shear every seat and chainstay it gets near. Oh, how I long for the day when we can all run disc brakes on both wheels!

On a similar note, has anyone tried a rear disc on the new Monty frames? Their mount looks like it might just survive.

15. smudge

I think that availability for the rear is going to be spotty if anything at all. Maybe because it's early in the product life, but Hope US didn't seem to know much about the brake or availability of sizes other than 160. They first told me it was a 180 front and then, no 160, then 180 and finally it showed up and is 160. You could always get the caliper by itself and order a standard Pro lever and some hose...then use it with a 140mm rotor or by a 20mm adapter and a 160 rotor.

This does have a larger swept area than the standard Mini so you'd have to find another brand of 140 or 160 rotor that would work sufficiently.

16. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

Have you considered sending the URL to this forum to Hope and Hope US? I would think that if they knew how much interest there is for this new brake, they might step up. I did that for Woodman and they really appreciated it. And, look at the new frame they've responded with!

17. smudge

Hey Tart...

I've ridden it a bit now and the feel at the lever is actually quite nice. Unlike an HS-33 (as in my reference) the mush doesn't translate to brake slip and the extra mush seems to be nicer on my aging tendons. It definitely doesn't have that blocky feel like the Hayes or M4's.

One big negative point: The pad retension mechanism has changed somewhat. The retension pin is no longer threaded into the caliper body, it's pressed in with an o-ring: a hee-haw idea at best. The result: knocking when the brake is locked and you're adjusting your weight fore and back. It feels like you have a loose headset. In fact, I was having this same problem with the Mono-Mini I had on there before, and couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought I had a crack in my fork steerer.

Hey Hope: That's a lame way to keep the pads in; go back to the threaded posts like in your previous brakes.

18. tank_rider

tank_rider Guest

Good mini review.

To give you a hand with the setup issue, can you not put a small spacer behind the disc rotor to move it towards the forks? I see you are running a shim between the calliper and the mount, so i guess there is some room for adjustment.

19. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Hey, cheers for that :) I assumed it would have good power... im just not a fan of a squdgy brake... i shall have to try one and see what i think.

As for the pad retention pin... :nuts: I guess its cheaper to manufacture though... And you can bet some muppets over-torqued the old style ones, causing stripped thread/rounded allen key fitting... oh well!

Cheers again!

20. LGD

LGD Guest

Just baught my self a rear hope mono trials, ill post a quick review when its been ridden peoperly!