Mod to stock conversion issues

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by dahouse, Aug 6, 2004.

1. dahouse

dahouse Guest

About a month ago, I got a Planet X ghost and I built it up to be my do everything bike (street/trials/trails/DH...). Shortly after, my mod broke so now I'm left riding my ghost for trials. So far, I've adapted to pretty much everything, but the only thing that hasn't adapted is my pedal ups.

Evertime I try, I can't get higher than a foot and my weight is always way too far back and I fall backwards. When I was on my mod, I could do 2.5ft consistently.

My mod gear ratio is 18-12 and my stock gear ratio is 22-19.

Any help or tips?

2. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

try not leaning back as much right before you up, let the pedal motion bring the front up and concentrate on kindof a vertical hop instead of a bunnyhop motion.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Hey, don't feel bad, my pedal ups suck....and I end up leaning too far foreward like I want to immediatly go onto my front...it's ghey.....and I've always been on a stock.

4. SHiRLEY_CHiZEM

SHiRLEY_CHiZEM New Member

youre starting too early.. your bike is making it but not your body.. get a little closer to the wall.. its all timing.

5. dahouse

dahouse Guest

Do you guys think that if I went faster, it would help?

6. SHiRLEY_CHiZEM

SHiRLEY_CHiZEM New Member

further faster always helps.. but you aint gonna learn anything cept how to smash into a wall fast..

"it's all timing."

7. atypical

atypical Guest

You can do that and get your momentum to carry you forward instead of falling back- it's the way to get higher. If you just kept the same speed and leaned back less I imagine it'd work but not get as high. Like in golf you have to have the right pace or "tempo", if your coil (preload) comes undone too fast you'll just keep falling backwards. Hope you can stick to stock, maybe get another frame geared more towards UCI Upping.

8. dahouse

dahouse Guest

Well I am going to stick to stock, but that doesn't mean I'll become a stock rider. I'll ride stock and mod equally cause I still love and miss my mod.

So far nothing has been helping. I guess I'll keep at it.