Mixing freewheels

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by dcpowpow, Jun 15, 2004.

1. dcpowpow

dcpowpow New Member

I am getting a new bike with a White Industries freewheel on the front and I want a rear hub that has an option to go to a disc brake in the future. The fixed rear hubs I have found do not have disc options so that leaves me with standard freewheel type rear hubs. Question is, can I have a freewheel on both the front and the rear ? Sounds weird, Is the advantage of the front White Industries Freewheel that great or should I just go fixed on the front and freewheel on the rear ?
    Thanks

Dave

2. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

if you can thread on a freewheel then you can thread on a track cog. using 2 freewheels will create a feeling of fewer engagement points, because you have to wait for 2 freewheels to engage. if its FFW, put the freewheel in the rear and put a cog up front, youll have a single speed, but that has plenty of advantages

3. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

ive done this, and what you need to understand is it works, but you engagement is limited to the lesser of the 2, so if you have a chris king in the rear (72 point engagement) and a ACS freewheel in the front (12 point engagement), youre only going to get 12 points of engagement, not the 72 points you paid 300 bucks for. and vice versa if you had 72 in the front, and 12 in the rear, you still only get 12. your best bet is to find a a fixed rear hub if you really want this white industries freewheel. i found the kind of hub you want here (http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/product_id/1121/pg/product_details.html) but if youre going to pay that much, why not buy a rear king disc hub and have the best out there. hope i was some help...........
    Chris

4. dcpowpow

dcpowpow New Member

OK, forget the disc on the rear for now, I am sticking with the front freewheel and fixed rear hub, the King rear hub in Stainless is big $$ and out of stock anyway.
    Chris, thanks for the single speed idea, I can always upgrade later if I want a disc in the rear.
    Time to build it so I can ride !!

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

ACS has 32 engagement points and stuff

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

woodman has a 9 speed fixed disc hub for like $170US

7. JK

JK New Member