Middleburn Bashguard Failure

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by atypical, Jul 6, 2004.

1. atypical

atypical Guest

I took my bike in to the shop and told 'em I needed a 20 tooth front chainring and they took my 22 tooth off and three of the 5 bolts that mount into the bashring came out with threads on them- I didn't install or remove anything myself so I don't know the extent of the damage, but the shop tells me they're trying to contact Middleburn for a replacement. Is this a common occurence? And is Middleburn pretty good about honoring their lifetime warranty? And Should I look into a smaller bashring- the titanium 16 tooth, or would it just shred more thread?

2. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

The problem is that you need to keep an eye on the bolts when theyre new. If you dont, they can come loose and strip. They may do you some money off a new one.

The lifetime warranty covers 'workmanship and materials' not 'doesnt know how to use tools correctly' (sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, but was the only way i could think of putting it)

I personally wouldnt bother with the 16T bash - you might like it though...

3. atypical

atypical Guest

Nah, they were snug but the wrench told me he didn't have to work too hard to get them off, so maybe you're right- so it's whatever Middleburn wants to do- has anyone had big probs with red tape at Middleburn, or are they rather easygoing?

Where is Middleburn, in the U.K?

4. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I think the middleburn 16tooth has the sprocket built in, so there'll be no worries about the threads stripping again. I'm not sure, would someone who owns one chime in?? This is also something I'm interested in, so I'm a little curious. Hope this helps your problem

5. Shipley

Shipley ..........

[​IMG][​IMG]

Looks to be all one piece... wonder how long it takes to wear out the teeth.

6. karmapolice

karmapolice Guest

I believe its all CNC'd one piece, so Chris Pitts said. Im sure they will last a long time, my 18t cog has barely worn after alot of riding.

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

it's made of ti harder than any pills can make you.... you will not wear out that chainring. it is all one piece.

middleburn is an english company. the importer has been the same in the us for like 8 years (maybe longer?) and they are generally cool about crash replacements/warranties.