Michelin customer service...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Oct 1, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, I noticed there was a titty in my tire. There was a bvulge in the sidewall about the size of a ping pong ball. Go to unmount the tire and noticed the sidewall had separated because the bead had split somehow, exposing the still intact wire.

Called up michelin, and they don't have a warranty program, but stated it's case by case. I told them it's fairly new, there's still nipples on some of the side knobs, and there's a ton of tread life left. They said ship it in (since I told them I was a bike shop, they said they'de give me a physical addy, not a PO box :bigthumb: ) and the turn around time is 1-2 days. They said by the sounds of it, it should be replaceable/manufacturer defect.....

It's all on that wierdo tire I had. 24.1/Comp 16 thing. So maybe (although not really needed) I'll get to pick which tire I want. Which is better anyhow? Why?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

i broke the bead in my hot s....it happens

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

But see, since I've had the tire, it's never came off the rim. There would be no reason for the bead to get separated....heh, maybe I shoulda stated that...

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

it doesn't matter if it doesn't come off the rim- I never had it do that and I've broken 3 beads in Hot S tires nukka....just deal .

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, got a call back from them. Replacing it as a courtesy.

But.......they said the tire was cut in over 10 places. guy said when they sent it to R&D that the guy stopped counting after 10. The sidewall separation was a result of small cuts. I'm assuming it's from the mounting after a fresh grind. He said the people who mounted it must have just used screwdrivers or something else sharp....I've only used park steel levers.....

I find it very odd how I got a fucked tire to begin with(that jacked tread pattern), I mount it after a grind and it's shit. I must have taken off my comp 24.1 a million times to keep the grinds fresh, and still it's working FLAWLESSLY. i.e. right now I'm running my worn comp 24.1. Think maybe since it's comp 16 rubber (softer) that had an issue? or was that flukey tire just that...a piece....

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

prolly just a bad tire.... ive never had that prob w/ any of my tires, including hot s's

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Sucks...but I think they're sending my a comp 16....hopefully it doesn't turn out the same way....

8. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

its because the 24.1 has all that rubber there protecting the sidewall... (that is prolly really obvious.)

9. oicdn

oicdn Guest

They say the Comp16 and 24.1 have the same casing, just different tread and softer rubber. Sounds stupid, but I dunno if that's softer rubber on the entire tire, or just on the tread...

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

wait

softer rubber?

no way... :hsugh: :O

11. Elan

Elan steve french

omfg wh ohas said that 1 bajillion times

12. oicdn

oicdn Guest

LOL, I knerw it was softer rubber, and it's been said a bizzillion time, but is it on just the tread, or the casing too??

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

LOL

what the fuck do you think?

LOL

LOL

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

clearly, he is torn, between the two possibilities, hence he asks for clarification. On the one hand, there is no strong reason to put soft compound sidewalls on a tyre, on the other hand, manufacturing the whole thing out of one sort is more cost effective.

hmmm - I'm on your ignore list, so whateverness.

OICDN - I don't know either...hmmm...

- Joel

15. Elan

Elan steve french

does it really matter? im not trying to be a dick..for once. but what difference does it make if the 3mm thick sidewall is comp 16 material?

16. oicdn

oicdn Guest

cause I don't wanna get another comp 16 grind my rim, and have another bead shit on me again....

17. netto

netto New Member