Michelin 24.1 has a new tread pattern?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jul 18, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Michelin 24.1 has a new tread pattern?**Michelin update**

Tire came in today.....but the tread pattern is different on this new tire.
    [​IMG]

Alright, see the middle knob, on the new tire, instead of just a notch in the middle, it's two knobs, and those 4 knobs that are prarallel to eachother are now just 2 solid knobs on each side. The edge tread is the same though.

[​IMG]
    It has a similar tread pattern to a comp 16 but the side channels are not as large, stock numbers don't match a comp 16, nor do the numbers on the sidewalls...sidewall numbers match the 24.1 tire I currently am replacing....

We rechecked part numbers and it's a Comp 24.1......since when did they change tread pattern? Rubber feels softer too....

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  2. Elan

Elan steve french

maybe its a error? a comp 16 on a 24.1 casing?

3. Loner

Loner Guest

This was posted on Ridemonkey.com in this thread:

Link to thread

Howdy all,

Leif from Michelin here...

I just wanted to chime in and give as much info as I can on this discussion.

OK, first a few points to remember when measuring tire width.
    - There are two places to measure a tire when determining width. The first would be the casing and the second would be at the outermost part of the knobs.
    - Rim width and rim profile does affect tire width.
    -Tires do stretch. Measuring a tire 5 minutes after mounting it for the first time will be different than measuring it a week after it has been inflated.
    -Pressure makes a difference also. Measuring a tire at 20 psi vs. 50 psi will affect your results also.

For the record, the molds have not changed. The Comp 24.1 2.2" is the same exact tire it was 4 years ago as is the Comp 32, Comp 16, etc. There has been no change in the molds in any size over the years.

There is a standards organization for rim and tire manufactures which we follow in production of all of our tires. ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization)

I only have a few tires mounted up in my office at the moment but I do have a Comp 16 2.2" mounted that was a display at Interbike last October. It is mounted on a Mavic D321 at 16.5 psi. Using calipers to measure, it measures 54.1 mm at the casing and 55.8 mm at the widest point at the knobs. Converted it measures 2.13" at casing and 2.197" at the knobs.

I do not have a Comp 16 2.5" or a Comp 32 2.8" mounted in the office but I do have them mounted on the truck that goes to all the NORBA nationals. I will try to take a few measurements at Idaho and post my results if people are interested.

If you have any more questions or have any more input feel free let me know.

Leif Erickson

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I'm not talking about tire width...I'm talking about tread pattern. The pattern changed....sidewall numbers and paper wrapping indicate a 24.1....but treading is VERY similar to a Comp 16....the spacing between the outer knobs and the center treading is not that marginal like it is in the pics of the comp 16...not even close to them being that widely spaced.

Maybe it's what Elan said....comp 16 tread on a 24.1? This happen often? Sidewall numbers match 24.1, but the tread is different. Freaked me out cause I thought they ordered the wrong tire, but they didn't....

I'm going to email Michelin and see what's up....pretty odd....

5. Loner

Loner Guest

I was referring to this part of the message:
    For the record, the molds have not changed. The Comp 24.1 2.2" is the same exact tire it was 4 years ago as is the Comp 32, Comp 16, etc. There has been no change in the molds in any size over the years.

Which makes it odd that yours is different. I recently ordered one myself and it looks like a 24.1

6. Elan

Elan steve french

is that leif erickson, the famous 80's hair rocker? or leif erickson, the man who was banished from scandanavia to live on the island of iceland?

7. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Actually, this is the Leif Erickson who is constantly teased aboot his name. Which reminds me:
    "...there was nothing wrong with it, until I was about 12 years old, and that no talent ass clown came along and started winning grammys" Michael Bolton - Officespace

Eric the Red (Leif's father) was the one banished to Iceland.

About the tire, where did you get it from? Maybe you got some kind of Michelin works-team DH tire.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

damnit, my viking history is poop. sorry TRA.

oh well, just ride the tire and have fun beign a trials douchey

9. EchoPure89

EchoPure89 Guest

that 1st picture is the same as the tire that ive got, and have been using for months now...

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I got the tire from a LBS....if it matters, the entire label is in french....unlike my previous one that had English, Russian(?) and French....

I'm waiting on my eMail from Michelin....

I haven't used the tire yet, or my Michelin Comp S light yet, as I had the Intense 2.35 sitting in my room and a Kenda Kinetics 2.1 for the front. I dunnno, this kinetics isn't as papery sidewalled as either of the Michelins (cept the 24.1 obviously). Grip is also comparable if not better than the Michie's...it's just noisy as in when I turn you hear a rubbery squeek....but it's stiff and grips....I like it, profile is a little odd though....

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Called Michelin, Initially got an operator that X-ferred me to a Shirley, who then X-ferred me to a team rider named Brian.

I explained how the tread on my tire doesn't have that space on both sides of the center knobs but it does indeed look like a Comp 16 in the tread pattern with the exception of that spacing, and how the casing and numbers all indicate it's a 24.1...I also told him how there was a post from Leif Erickson about the tread never changing and he said that was absolutly correct.

He said right now it appears as I have a botched tire....comp 24.1 case with a Comp 16 tread and rubber.... He told me he was gonna do a couple phone calls and see what the deal is, but right now he's puzzled. He said maybe it was a Comp 24.1 Light....umm...no the tread doesn't look like that....so he's gonna research and give me a call back this afternoon.....odd.....

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Why do you care? Go ride the tire. I got a comp 24.1 LIGHT by mistake, the sidewalls are paper; but rather than writing pointless internet dribble I just ride with it.

Oh no, your tire tread is different....you'll never make that sidehop now!! :rolleyes:

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

LOL! I just wanna know what tire it is....so maybe if it IS another ttread design, and it works, maybe I'll start using that tire instead? It'll be awhile till I ride it anyhow as I'm gonna wait till the Intense tire dies.....

14. digby

digby New Member

Youve got way too much time on your hands.

Maybe you should fly to france and present your findings to the president of michelin.

even if it is another tread, michelin already admitted they dont make it, so how you gonna get another?

15. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I do have way too much time on my hands...I quit my job and am mindlessly bored. It's raining outside, so I have nothing else to do....

16. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i bet that shit is sooooo much better than the maxxis. i never heard a peep about how that tire's sidewalls adversely affected your riding ;)