micheal moore

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Debate' started by poutine, Oct 14, 2004.

1. poutine

poutine Guest

Hey guys i just finished watching bowling for columbine and farenhight 911 in english classe.

I found it verry interesting on his point of view.

I was just wondering wat you guys thaught of the movies and think of him.

2. trials-online

trials-online still here

ive only seen bowling for columbine , and i definetly found his point of view refreshing , and also very entertaining, i think the way he put the movie together makes it quite funny , thats just me though

3. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

you gotta take those videos with a grain of salt. i know that bowling for columbine misquoted the NRA president and that interviews were not shown in full. so..... they're good as long as you dont let them be your sole form of political education.

4. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

I think michael moore would make even better movies if he wasn't so one sided and just told the whole truth. bowling for columbine was good though and 911 was just alright, any movie that has 20 minutes of footage of mothers crying sucks in my opinion.

5. ben@slctrials.com

[email protected] New Member

roger and me, bowling for columbine was his best work. definitly pretty one sided, especailly F9/11, but showed a lot of good facts that many people probably didn't know about.

6. Tanner

Tanner New Member

*shrugs* both sucked. And when he comes to the university I live two blocks from, to hand out items in exchange for a promise to vote, I will be sure to tell him that he sucks along with his movies.

7. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

look, he represents a subjective left side, big deal i am sick of being bombarded with subjective conservative crap and to those who thinks he sucks oh well, for those who wont let him talk Fuck off, you arent being american

8. Tanner

Tanner New Member

I'm not conservative, trust me. I'm just exercising my right to freedom of speech to say that he sucks, and then he can exercise HIS right of freedom of speech by telling me to fuck off. I don't care, his rights, he can do what he wants.

9. morley

morley New Member

'I find it interesting how the conservative right seems to be doing everything in their power to stop micheal moore and his message. It wasn't until recently that the 'left' has had a major spokesman in the media that has really 'hit the masses.'

Over the last few years people could say that fame and wealth and mindless adulation have created the Michael Moore that we see now - a mass media personality making a statement at the the object of his rage. Fortunately for some that person is George W. Bush. If ever a president deserved to be the subject of a vitriolic, one-sided, emotionally manipulative diatribe of a documentary, Bush is it.

Fahrenheit 9/11 dosn't really live up to that description, or justifies the nonstop right-wing whining now saturating the airwaves [Call it Unfair-enheit 24/7]. Of course the movie does play a little loose with the facts, or implies more than it can prove. But for years now, Limbaugh, Coulter and their inferior imitations have been passing off their slanted misreadings, unproven allegations and flimsy lies as factual reporting. When caught out on a lie or a smear, they either ignore the evidence, or - like Limbaugh - retreat into the phony defense of arguing that all they're doing is expressing a subjective opinion. "I'm just in the entertainment business," Rush likes to say.

Well, now there's someone on the left who knows how to play their game,
    and play it brilliantly. Moore may be an egomaniac, and a huckster showman in the best [or worst] tradition, but man he's effective. He's learned to play the mainstream media like a Stradivarius. It's no wonder the right wingers are scared of Moore - he's even better then they are at using the media as an unwilling amplifier. Which is why all the conservative caterwauling and all disapproving tut-tuts from the "responsible" press have only helped ensure Fahrenheit 9/11 a wider distribution.

In other words, Moore's managed to break the code. He's figured out how to sell an semi-radical message to a mass audience. That's a major accomplishment. And if the end result isn't exactly my idea of a civilized political discourse it clearly is a powerful and successful example of fighting fire with fire. And right now, a little fire may be what the American left needs most.'

Personally I don't sit on the left, right, or anywhere on the current political spectrum, and I find no political party appealing to my fiscal interests or my progressive views.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  10. Ross

Ross New Member

Semi-radical?

I dont think that semi-radical would sell anything. If it is going to be effective he has to be radical.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

He is obese, who cares.

12. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

a radical message would be something promoting violence. Or skateboarding. He promotes a semi-radical message but he does it enthusiastically.

Everyone complains about him being one-sided and all but of course, he's promoting a viewpoint. Everyone on the powerful and vocal right is one-sided, and we've learned to add our own pinch of salt.

I can't help but think how much George Bush is now regretting telling Moore to "get a real job !" all those years ago. I guess that was the turning point where it got personal :)

I like the idea of a filmmaker with a personal vendetta against a president - and getting him !

some people worship Moore blindly (Tanner will meet a few at the university, all wearing Che shirts no doubt), and that's a bit silly, but I find his stuff very entertaining, and fairly enlightening. Like any filmmaker though, he has to exaggerate to be entertaining. The film-audiences of today need something strong and riveting to get them to buy tickets, and a well balanced view point "one on hand, Enron embezzles money and avoids taxes, as well as screwing up the environment, but on the other hand they make a sound contribution to the US economy and provide many jobs" isn't so entertaining, people would criticise him for lacking balls if he appeared impartial, I know you Yanks so value that in your public figures, even if the position calls for anything BUT.

Bowling for Columbine was good, I can't say whether it made an impact on the American public or not, it certainly made no policy or governmental impact. Did the public opinion towards gun ownership/licensing change at all after that film?

well?

- Joel

13. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

exactly. you can't criticize shit if you're a fat ass. he should loose some weight and stop being such a weasley little faggot.

14. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Dolphin ...Have you heard the one about the pot and the kettle.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If Mr Moore made the movie "Supersize Me" blaming Mcdeez for his fatness you might have a point.Regrettably you don't.

In this political climate of extreme rightwing media slant, we need a rabblerouser to swing the people back towards a reasonable moderate middle.

Both Bowling and F9/11 included shit that pissed me off for its obvious political spin, the end result was exellent in helping america look at the news with a bit more scepticism

But we can all agree Mr.Moore is fat. It gives him a larger prescence.

15. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

i played this drinking game to bolwing for columbine, everytime you see a fat michael moore you had to drink...we got fucking loaded

16. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I played a similar game during the debate. Every time bush said something stupid we took a shot. I blacked out in the first 10 minutes.

Thank god!!:barf:

17. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

hahaha, Americans making fun of Moor for beeing fat? More than 1/3 of all americans are fat... shiiiiit, you even have fat poor people.
    Thats like africans making fun of of skinny people

18. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Hey I am fat and I make fun of fat people, its fine. Really it is.

19. KenC

KenC Member

I hope you're kidding.... What news organization do you watch has an "extreme right wing slant"? Fox is the most consertive of all the major networks, but I wouldn't call them ultra conservative - just not as liberal as all the other networks - which is why I personally watch them. And if you think Moore is a moderate...:ugh:

Anyway, there is no doubt Moore can make an entertaining movie. I'll give him credit for that. I have seen "Rodger and I," which I though was interesting. When calls movies like Bowling and Farenhight "documentaries," that's where it becomes rediculus. I forget who said it, but his films are more like "Agenda-menteries." The whole film is him pushing his personal political agenda. And he calls it an ubiased look - yeah right. The reason the media gives him so much time in the spotlight is because Hollywood and the media as a whole agree with his political positions. You don't hear about the movies, books, etc bashing the left as much as the ones bashing the right - and it's not because there is a quantity difference. Sorry for the rant.

20. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

the right is perfect. they always have been, and always will be.