Megamo Fork Problem

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Megamo123, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Megamo123

Megamo123 No more megamo!

Is there anyway to get a longer headtube for a fork? My megamo fork has a mass short head tube and pretty much only fits the megamo frame. I am changing bike soon and My new frame doesnt have an intergrated headset. Has anyone had this problem before? What did you do to fix it? Any ideas would be a big help.

Sean

2. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I run a megamo fork on a BT frame that doesn't have an integrated headset. Things are working out swell.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Roman, he is saying his head tube will be too short for his next frame.

Just buy a new fork.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Get a headset with the lowest stack height. Forks are not headset specific besides like 1 1/8 and maybe threading if its a threaded fork, which is unlikely.

edit- the most economical way would probably be a new fork as andrew said

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Two friends of mine have Megamo forks, which came with the frames when they bought them. The steerer on them is really short, even on the Megamo frames, they can only run normal height stems like Megamo Tryall Raceface etc, nothing tall like Brisa.

So I guess the forks that come on the bikes or framesets have pre cut steerers, and the ones sold by themselves have uncut steerers.

Steerer length extenders are sold, have a look here: http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1527, though they won't be of much help to you, since they still need a good amount of steerer to clamp onto.

So in that case, something like this http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1528, a steerer adapter could be used inside your current steerer. The Zoom ones are nice, since they can be cut depending how much extension you want.

This is the one I would use: http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=SM2872

Good luck.

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Yeah I get that. He could have went a more expensive route though :)

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, when I switched from my echo stem, to my Current Profile stem, damn....the steer tube was short. I had to take out all my spacers....

I would prolly go with the advice above, get a different fork. Out of curiousity though, how are the Megamo forks in terms of stiffness and durability compared to other forks on the market?

8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

It seems stiffer than my old capriolo fork. I've been using the Megamo fork for about 4~5months now and its doing pretty good so far.

9. Megamo123

the megamo forks are pretty stiff. I really like them, thats why i was trying to get them on my new frame.

Thanks for the replies

10. McQueen

McQueen Guest

the psychiatric centre called, they want their patient back...

11. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Yes, also the KK is calling.

I would get the Echo Urban.

But what frame are you getting?

12. Megamo123

I am getting the Koxx level Boss 1100

13. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Nice, what stem length you going to get?
    I would like to try a longer stem (90mm now) since I'm going to end up 6'1''-6'4''.
    But the Echo Urban looks excellent with the LB

14. Megamo123

I am not sure what stem length i am goin to run. I will also take a look at the echo Urban forks, thanks for the replies.

Sean