Measurements .. effects?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Spacemunkee, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

I was just wondering on how measurements effect/affect (i suck at english) ride such as:

Chainstay length? whats considered short n whats considered long n whats the affect

BB angle to dropout

top tube length

head angle

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

chainstays- short is about 15 inches. long is 15.5 and up. short ones are 'better' for riding natural and make the bike more comfortable on rear wheel. long stays give you a bigger leverage point and can allow you to gap larger (some say, i never noticed).

bb height- lower makes balance easier. higher gives you more clearence and makes it easier to get the front wheel up.

top tube is irrelevant- the measurement that matters on a trials bike is 'front-center' measured from your front axle to your center of your BB. since there is no good way to measure top tube on a trials bike the front-center measurement matters more. according to most right now longer-uci, shorter-street/biu.

head angle- steeper is supposedly more nimble though it will also make the bike a little twitchy feeling compared to something with a slacker head angle.

3. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest