Maxxis or Michelin?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bigman 86, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

Right, i am purchasing a new rear wheel and it comes with a michelin 2.5 comp 24 tyre, but atm i have a maxxis 2.5 super tacky minion, thing is i have heard good things about both tyres, i find the maxxis awsome, but i have been told the mich is better, which in your opinion should i use when i recive my new wheel, reasons aswell please.

2. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

Since you already have both just try them both out. I think that when it comes to those two tires it is just personal preference. I have been on both and prefer a Maxxis over a Michelin.

Things to look for when trying them are the Maxxis being springier and always wanting to quickly return back to its original shape. The Michelin will be pretty much the opposite, it will land on something and just form to it without much rebound. Both seem to have their own advantages.

3. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Not to just shoot your topic down, but it's completely personal preference between the two tires. If you're getting the michelin with the wheel, why not just try them both and determine which you like more? Everyone agrees that that they are both great tires, it's just a matter of which one feels better to each individual rider. There's no diffinitive champion between the two.

But for the record, I run a 2.5 Minion super tacky.

4. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Ive never runned a michelin. but I do have a Maxxis Minion 2.7 super tacky to, I used to also run a 2.7 dh tube. i could run about 10-15 psi and it was all good. Ty Smith was running a michelin, I had found a Maxxis Mobster 2.7 in the trash can and he bought it for 10 bucks, he said its alot more bouncy and that he was going to his LBS to order one since the one i found was pretty worn.

5. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Winner for most flats on a croatian vacation...MAXXIS. For now I rides da mich ,when
    I switch I will tryall. I've seen the Maxxis slip on some silly stuff when my michies,over pumped at that, stuck like skeet to hair.Plus I like to support the French and their anti bushism whenever possible.

6. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

Strange, the Super Tacky Maxxis felt like it outgripped the Michelin to me. Different riding styles perhaps?

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've had nothing but praise for the maxxis' grip.... superior to the michelin, but its not much of a difference....

However I would rather tear my ears off than ride with it for a second on rocks.

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Don't give me that guff young person! :eek:

10. WhiteRavenKS

what guff? some people do (you and a couple others i know) and some that dont find it easier at all, just different (me and many others i know).

11. alexm

alexm Member

ok, i have run both for some time now, the michelin was a 2.2" and the maxxis (which i am currently on) is a 2.5" minion super tacky. i think i prefer the maxxis on urban, although it is a close call, but the michelin pisses all over the maxxis on rocks or any off cambre shit. maxxis is one rolly tyre. the main advantage in australia of maxxis is they are half the cost of the michelin. sucks.

Alex

12. hophopsnap

i would like to try a panaracer trailblaster or whatever it is. how are these? or should I get a new michelin? or another maxxis?

13. WhiteRavenKS

dont waste your time or money on anything but one of the two M tires. only exception to this i can possibly think of is the try-all tire which is much nicer now than the version i tried a long while back.

14. hophopsnap

i was thinkin about a try-all but i heard they didnt last worth crap.

15. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

I started off w/ a 2.35 maxxis's 1 ply thingy front, 2 ply rear, and they were nice, at 30 psi, but i was still flatting when i wasnt smooth. then i switched to a 2.1 hot s red, and i was running 40psi, and not flatting as much and had 3 times the grip. now i have a 2.5 hot s, and the grip is rediculus, even at 50psi but i spend the majority of my time at 35psi, a little harder when im trying longer urban gaps...

16. hophopsnap

you were using hot s for the back? I would like to try it on the front. maybe I should get 2.2 front and 2.5 back because im not gapping...yet.

17. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

This is true. Try All is the best tyre out there for Mod, it grips on wet, slimy rocks. Easy to predict as well, but folds a little too easy (well, considering I run my rear tyre at...what, I think 16 PSI?)
    That being said mine are worn down flat after 5 months of riding. I do ride every day but.....
    Will I buy another pair? Yes, in fact I already have some on order, these tyres rock. :bigthumb: Only thing that may take over the Try All's are Maxxis Creepy Crawlers? :dunno:
    Can't say much about how the Try All's compare in terms of other stock tyres, however.

18. hophopsnap

5 months? If stock ones lasted that long I would deff get one. My maxxis has only lasted about 2 months or something. I forgot when I ordered my bike!

19. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Notice I said they have been worn down - FLAT, as in: there is really nothing left. On the plus side now my tyres have more surface area of grippage :greddy: I dono, I like them a lot. Like I said, easy to predict and I've only gotten one pinchflat since I put them on (Note-I'm a very harsh rider, if that tells you anything).

20. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, i have dual 2.5's, theyre like 100g heavier than the 2.2......so the extra cush is nice