Marta or Luise

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Wacek, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Wacek

Wacek Guest

Hi...

Which brake would by better for front, Magura Luise or Magura Marta, maybe hope mono mini or hope m4 ? What do You think ?

2. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

After owning a Louise, I'll never buy another Magura disc again.

I've been using Hope discs (save for the Louise which came stock on a Megamo mod I once owned) since 1997 and have had very positive experiences with them.

I highly recommend the Mono M4 for raw power, but if you're 180lb or under, the Mono Mini should suffice.

As far as I know, I'll be the first in the area to get the new Mono Mini Trials, so I'll be sure to report on it once I've had some time riding it.

3. digby

digby New Member

I have had nothing but problems with magura discs. I'm not sure if the euro guys get different versions, but he entire koxx/coustellier team seems to have no problems with them.

mostly Ive just had problems with them pumping up(bled with royal blood, still pumps)

I dont like hopes either. inconsistent.

4. JK

JK New Member

My friends' Marta is the best feeling brake I have ever used. Better than my avid mech even.

5. digby

digby New Member

yeah, my buddys got a marta on his bike, it feels and works great, sadly i have an 8 inch avid mech that works awesome, so I cant justify spending $250 on a new brake.

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The maguras are great disc brakes for trials... but only while they last. I haven't heard of a single person that used a magura for trials for more than a few months without it leaking. If you want to buy two and rotate them (i.e. run one while the other is in for service), that'd be way :cool: and is what I would like to do. If you don't have that kind of cash, just get the M4. I've run hope minis and used mono minis and they just flat out are not satisfactory for trials use.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'm ~165, hope minis and magura louise/marta are all trash compared to avid mechanicals...believe me I've used every single disc from custom magura set ups to hayes.

8. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

Hey JK,

Where did you find that picture for your avatar? What brake pads are those? Are they the mysterious blue plazmatics?

KT

9. Johno

Johno Guest

I had marta on my old bike,great feeling,but i broke a couple of them,but on my new bike i got the new range louise with 5 years leak warranty,and they look and feels awesome.
    Seems more solid,but they had to get their act togheter,or else noone would continue buying their stuff

10. jobottDMB

jobottDMB New Member

I have had the Louise 2004 since October and its one of the few parts from the brisa that still works well. It hasn't leaked and its ten times better then any avid I have ever used. However I would get the marta if your looking for really good stopping power cuz I use the louise more for stoppies than instant locking power. Avids are really good for stopping power as well I just dont like them for my riding style.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

riding style = sloppy slip brake style?

12. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

I like my marta sl, its still going strong after a little over a year.

13. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Weird, my louise hasnt done anything but worked good, had it since feb and only cleaned disk and pads really good and it works good enough for me.

14. sicterallowishus

sicterallowishus His Noodliness Calls

marta is best for xc, i would say avid mech in front is best for trials, its simple, on and off power, and very user friendly iv'e never had a problem with mine. also a new cable and housing is cheaper and easier than a bleed, so is the avid for that matter

15. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

I wouldnt reccommend the EBC pads, a kid in my town has them and there is absolutely ZERO modulation with them. I think its the same with plazmatics, but no first hand experience so dont trust me with that.

-Paul

16. JK

JK New Member

No idea what the pads are. I just found the picture in one of my folders and decided to use it as an avatar. If anyone knows please PM me, since I get asked this all the time.

17. Elan

Elan steve french

avid mechanical /thread

18. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

they are the Echo pads

19. sebLG

sebLG New Member

avid mechanical ... is cheaper and works ten trillion times better than anything evar and lasts and feels awsome. i will never buy any hope brake ever again after using one. they look sweet and the lever design is the best evar but they just simply dont work. i've heard of countell people saying MAGURA SUCK because they do. i think avid is now where its at for brakes. avid disc brakes and avid vee brakes and nothing else in my opinion. its a pety i was not very smart at all and always bought all the wrong stuff.

20. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Does the Avid mech feel like a v?