magura hs33 vs. v- br. (modulators)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by davke, Nov 22, 2004.

1. davke

davke Guest

2. felix

felix New Member

There is no difference between the brakes. The first link offers a set of two brakes and the second one only a single brake. But it's the same model.

I'd suggest V-brakes. Some cheap Avids with decent pads and cables will work at least as good as a Magura.

3. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I second Felix's opinion. If you have cantilever mounts on your fork/frame, go for the v-brakes. Avid brake calipers are excellent, as are their levers. SD5 is a fine quality level among the avid brakes. Use a brake booster, decent cables (avid flak jacket, shimano XTR etc) and koolstop or plazmatic pads and you will have something that works better than most maguras at half the cost and 2/3 the weight.

Don't use shimano LX, XT or XTR brake calipers. Shimano deore calipers are OK if you can't get Avids.

- Joel

4. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

IF u have v mounts, use v's.. if u have 4 bolts use 4 bolts.. i prefer maggies, but i've only used them on 4 bolt mounts..

v's do work fine :-D and are really easy to setup and use. if u grind, spanish flys are the bomb.. i like them much better than the crv's.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

aj2four0 got it right.

6. freeridercam

freeridercam le Tall

About how long do spanish flies last on a grind?

7. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Why do you like the spanish flys better?

8. Tanner

Tanner New Member

On a slight grind, i've had the same pads for about a year. Keep inmind, I didnt ride at all from Thanksgiving last year to - mid july this year.

9. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I second Tanner - i've been running a grind for 6 months, and no grind for 8 months before that - no real noticeable pad wear (the wear grooves are still in it). However, the pad material is kinda developing cracks - they'll probably start chunking out soon if I don't take steps to glue them together or something.

I have no reason to buy different pads when these wear out - they work as well as any brake i've tried before, and they don't make tons of noise - it's kind of satisfying to be silent.

10. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

CRV's are squishy... spanish flys are much harder.. you also get more clearance, and can get your v arms closer to 90 degrees (because the pad is much more low profile).

Come to think of it, i hate CRV's. I have nothing good to say about them. I hate them so much i'm about to take them off the FRONT of my bike because they STILL dont' lock well enough.

Spanish flys are amazing, i wish i could get that compound in a maggie pad. I guess i'll just go koxx bloxx since i like'm hard.

11. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

also, my spanish flys did not 'chunk' they wore evenly, and very nicely. Lasted me 5 months, and I use my brakes 2 much.. and ride about 3 days a week.

CRV's on the other hand, wore shitty as hell.. and chunked like biatches.

12. felix

felix New Member

I use Spanish Flies for 5 months on a harsh grind.
    I rode very much, but there's still a little bit of rubber left.
    The only problem is that they don't work in wet at all.

13. davke

davke Guest

i have v mounts, but why shouldn't set up the lx,xt v -brakes, tomac? and which model of AVID is perfect?

14. fhfn2000

fhfn2000 Guest

i think it's because high end Shimano brakes use parallel push technology.
    supposedly the linkages develop play with trials use.

better to stick with a simple brake design.

15. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

the perfect avid model is the avid ultimate. They're expensive though. The avid SD-7, SD-5, SD-3 are all good. The SD-ti model is very light, but the arms flex too much for trials. You shouldn't buy the higher end shimano v-brakes because they have parrellel push mechanisms which overcomplicate the designs, tripling the number of pivots, reducing space for adjustment, and making them stick out, liable to being hit by your feet. They're also overpriced. And overweight.

I haven't used the spanish flies, I will be setting up a bike with them soon though. I used plazmatic CRVs on a grind which I allowed to wear down to fairly smooth, and they worked better than any brake I've ever used, I used them for 6 months and then gave the pads to someone who was running a smooth rim, they lasted another 6 months as far as I know. I had the levers adjusted for full stiffness (technically the least powerful setting) and they were like an on/off switch, worked well in the wet as well. They weren't silent, but I find a confident howl very encouraging. I've been riding trials too long clearly. If you can get a set of each of the plazmatic pads, and try them both, you'll find something that works really well for you.

DON'T DRAG YOUR BRAKES WITH A GRIND !!

your rear brake should be treated as an on/off switch if you run a grind. People who get crappy pad life probably either run an overzealous grind (softer pad compounds, longer pads and more pad pressure onto the rim mean that you don't need very harsh grinds with Vs like you need with maguras) or drag their brakes all the time. Get a decent front brake and modulate with it instead. It's a good habit to get into anyway.

- Joel

16. nelso

nelso nelsywoo

Hmm. . I've grinded my rim and the only way to get a good grip with the brake is to let it rub a bit.
    If it rubs just gently I can use 1 finger but it will slip if I land leaning back really far.
    If I let too much cable out I have to use 2 fingers to brake and it still slips.

What do you suggest? New brakes? I think I'll be getting new ones anway, what should I get?

17. felix

felix New Member

What pads do you use?

18. nelso

nelso nelsywoo

I haven't changed them since I got my bike. It's a monty x-alp, I'm not sure what pad's are on it, but the calipers and levers are PSE or APSE or something.

19. felix

felix New Member

Pads make the biggest difference!
    I think the the pads coming with the X-Alp are some cheap black pads.
    It's no surprise your brake slips.

Get some Plazmatic Spanish Flies or Echo pads. They are both the same pad. Get what ever is available in down under.

20. bylsma

bylsma New Member

http://trialsin.com/sell/pieces/pframe.htm

Click "brake parts and accessories", they're second from the top.