Magura HS33 problems

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by two8616, Oct 20, 2004.

1. two8616

two8616 Guest

I'm struggling with getting a good lock out of my HS33's. I have the stock pads on right now. Should I switch to Plazmatics? I'm also having trouble getting them to center, it seems like one pad contacts before the other. Anyone know how to fix this? Also, I've thought about grinding my rims, but I'm not sure what kind of grinder to use- let me know. Thanks

2. 61

61 Guest

maguras are never perfect, and if they are they wont be at the end of the ride. very few riders can understand the need of the hs 33. take everything apart make it super clean set up the brake without a tire on the rim, if you continue to use o.e. pads you might want to grind your rim, and a bit of tar. cant say enough about the after market pad options, you can get some good ones cheap and that saves the grind job. the one side moving thing is just a by-product, dont worry about it unless the pad is rubbing and wont retract.

3. bylsma

bylsma New Member

Pads - use Koxx Bloxx

Grind - use an angle grinder

- Don't use tar.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  4. link doesn't work
    what do you when it rubs a little but its cuz the fluid moved over to one side? (i tried pushing one pad in and getting the other to come out but it just goes back to the same place after a few brakes

5. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

I'm sorry 61 but every single word here is wrong. When you have your HS-33s set up properly, they will stay that way until you have to do something to them again. The first thing you have to do is to make certain they are bled properly and get some good pads. Plaz like you mentioned, Koxx, Try-All, there are now several good choices out there. Grind your rim, and use a little bit of tar if you would like to. I use a little tar on my ground rim with Try All brown pads and my brakes are perfect. I like the little bit of extra grab you get with tar. As far as the set up and maintenance you will have to become an expert by trial and error. Setting them up is not easy at first, this is true, but it is possible to master them so you will be able to deal with any situation. The better you get at working on them the less irritating they become, but they will always be a pain in the ass! Worth it though.

6. bwagner

bwagner New Member

ok, here's the deal on them not being centerred. Most of the time it's because they need a good bleed, and also contributing to this a lot of times is that they were beld, and then the reach adjusters and/or the tpa's were dialed in afterwards. Granted you should be able to use these features without having a bad effect, but you can't/ Dial the tpa's all of the way out, adjust the reach to your liking, and then bleed the brakes. This should end the one sticky pad thing. If not, maybe the cylinder is dirty or some similar situation. Take the pads out and gently squeeze the lever until you can wipe off the entire area around the pad location. Now just replace those pads and it should be fine. Hydraulics systems will take the path of least resistance, and also the fluid is displaced very easily, so when you adjust the tpa's in, or the lever reach adjusters in, it in turn displaces some fluid, causing the pads to move in a bit. If you just bleed the sytem after these adjustments are made, the pads will fully retract into thier proper positions. I hope this has been of some asitance to you. Good luck!! Oh, and just get the plazmatics pads and do a grind, it's the best you can get without tar.

7. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Which grinder to use?

You'll need an angle grinder. Which you can usually get for under £20 over here, so over in the USA, probably cheaper, in conversion. Get the smaller disc wheel size, not the silly big industrial size ones, use a metal grinding disc, the discs only costs £1 over here, so again they may be cheaper over in Indianapolis. Id recommend using Koxx bloxx pads, i've tried these pads on a grind: Magura black, Megamo agent orange, Monty Clear, Plazmatic, and all of them wore down quickly, you could tell the difference after an hour of riding, apart from the magura black pads which took about twice as long to wear down. However with the Koxx bloxx i've found they dont seem to wear down much at all on my grind, well they wear, but not much, and certainly not as quickly as the others. On my bike ATM one pads contacts before the other, this is fine, its only because one of my pads is actually closer to the rim then my other pad, tis probably the same on yours, as soon as the first pad hits the rim the fluid takes the easier route down the fluid line to the other pad, so its not as if your running on one pad, there's just a small amount of time before the second pad hits, but once that hits you'll get lock up no problem on a grind. Id definitely recommend grinding, smooth rims and good pads dont hold shit ;) a grind and any pads holds well enough for trials.
    In summary, get an angle grinder and a metal grinding disc, get some Koxx bloxx, grind your rim, install the koxx bloxx, and your off :) You can find out how to grind by searching the forum , and obviously if a pad is rubbing the rim, adjust accordingly, using TPA (if it still works, lol) or re-set-up your appropriate brake.

8. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Plaz do not wear quickly on a grind.

9. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Sorry, but the old orange ones do. I think the new ones are yellow, in which case im not familiar with the wear rate of these on a grind. Anyone care to inform?

10. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Ok, heres the deal on this one. Is there a place that still sells the older ones you're speaking of? Most likely no, how about a place that sell the newer longer lasting ones? Most likely yes, so I'm thinking that it would make a little more sense to discuss CURRENT equipment, instead of older unavailable equipment. Unless of course the topic starter was interested in buying some older stuff, in which case I'd be completely wrong, but thats not very likely this time. The newer Yellow ones last a decent time with a grind, and stop very well also. There might be some out there that stop better, and maybe even last longer, but Plaz pads are still a very good choice in my opinion.

11. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I've never even worn 1/4 of the way through a yellow plaz pad.

12. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

i've worn some spanish flys all the way down in about 3 months.. i dont' ride very much either.

13. two8616

two8616 Guest

Thanks to everyone who answered...I just ground my rims tonight and rode with the stock pads. They work pretty well but I'm gonna go ahead and order some new pads too. I don't want to say what kinda b/c everyone is so opinionated....thanks again

14. freeone

freeone Guest

The solution for centering problem is the monty Y adapter- it helps to split the oil pressure exactly between sides.

15. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Your quite right, but you didnt take into account what i knew when i made my first remark about the plaz pads, at that time the only plaz pads i was sure of was the orange ones i have, my knowledge of the newer yellow ones was very sketchy, so i based my opinion on what i was most sure of, but for the benefit of others, my remarks were based on the older orange plaz pads.

Sorry for causing miunderstanding, but it is true, older orange plaz magura pads dont last on a grind, helpful if you've still got some knocking around ;)

16. Jonno

Jonno Guest

Koxx bloxx are a very popular pad and for good reason, i use them and have never had a problem with them, its best to use a grind with them though