Magura hs33, leaking?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by altdelete, Mar 15, 2004.

1. altdelete

altdelete Guest

Hi, i just bought my first set of Magura HS33 rim brakes. I have no familiarity with hydraulic brakes. I opened the box to find that everything inside was pretty well saturated with oil. Not knowing if this is normal or not I then picked up one of the levers and squeezed it. The brake pads moved just as they should, yet I heard a hissing noise and realized that oil was slowly leaking out of the lever. Let me do my best to explain where. Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge/terminology. There are two holes for hoses on the handle. One of the holes is being used by a hose that is connected to the caliper of course. The oil is leaking out of the other hole that does not have a hose connected to it. What do I need to do about this? I know there is something wrong as this is not occurring with both of the brake sets, Only one.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY PROVIDE!!!

2. quick_spider

quick_spider New Member

They shouldn't leak out of the box... Send them back and get a replacement.

The hole it's leaking out of is the bleed hole. Since you don't sound like an expert on them, it's best to get a set that works straight away rather than mess about trying to fix them yourself.

Jon

3. Elan

Elan steve french

put a bolt in the leaking hole, or call magura so they can help you out. because they do a good job about that.

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

it's called "maguras" they leak. cables dont leak but thats a whole different story.

one of two things is wrong- 1: the set screw that should be in that non-hose hole in the lever is gone (some machine dropped it and no set screw went in) or 2: some person or machine didnt get it tightened all the way.

in either case you will need to clean everything off and rebleed that one brake. make sure all the connections are snug when you're done. you shouldnt have any further troubles after this.

5. altdelete

altdelete Guest

Haha, yea im definatly not an expert. Like i said, i have NEVER used hydraulic brakes. I guess the best route would be to take advantage of that "5 year No leak" warranty. I really dont want to try to fix it myself and end up voiding the warrenty or breaking it furthur. Thanks for your help anyways though guys!

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yea send it back and let em know you just baught it. chances are the bolt is just loose, but it's best just to get new ones probably.

7. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I agree with the rest, the maguras shouldn't have come doused in oil in the box or be leaking because of a loose bleed screw, if you cant send them back, tighten that bleed screw where the oil's leaking from, if they even provided you with one, then re-bleed your brake as per the instruciton manual, or the web-site...

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/Magura/bleeding_tips.htm

http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/default.htm

Bleeding may seem confusing at first but simply read the instructions, do things slowly and you'll realise that its actually very easy..