Magura disc brakes for front use?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Aug 8, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Ok,
    I'm getting ready to take the plunge and go disc on the front. I'm thinking a Louise FR. I'm not interested in hearing how I should just get an avid machanical brake, I really want to hear valid issues with the Magura discs from people who have them or extensive experience with them. I'm interested in the good and the bad, please fill me in if you can. Thanks in advance for your assistance with this issue.
    ~Bruce Wagner

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

I bought a used one, and I've used it for about a week so far, and its working fine. My Louise locks well, so I can't say I have any problems. I may got Avid, but a Louise should work fine for a bit.

3. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I've used 3 seperate sets of Maguras for front and rear. All leaked within a few months. Complete waste of money. A front cable disk can feel very very good and comparable to a hydro. Rear is a bit tough.

They do lock pretty well and work good in the wet. However that is only for a couple months until they leak. Warranty is excellent with them. I suggest buying two sets and having one sitting there for when you warranty the other, that is what I did.

4. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

I think you should just get an avid mech...... :p

5. Rue Calton

Rue Calton Guest

I have to agree with Brett..I used a louise & few others I know also have & yes they do leak......That is why I switched to a Hope Mini up front....only problem with them is there a pain in the ass to get parts here in Toronto that is.

I have heard several good things about the Avids..but I personally like hydro's as I h8 cables altogether, but that is cause I have been using hydro rim brakes & discs for years & can personally bleed my brakes & adjust them quicker then I could if I had cables.

6. Hardline

Hardline Member

I sold B1105 the used brake. Here are some of the reasons I ended up doing the Avid mech. route. I had a Louise up front and a HS33 in rear with plazmatic pads. On a long downhill the lever slowly drifted toward the grip. After that it would do it if you were feathering the brake. I had put it on my xc bike.It would return back to a good feel as soon as you let it all the way out again. I bleed the brake and all of that went away. The brake worked wonderful for me.I travel to alot of my riding spots,sometime with friends in their cars and have to remove my front wheel and pile up bikes.I was allways concerned about me or someone else squeezing the lever with the wheel off.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

get the avid mech....

even if the louise DOESN'T leak (aka in fairy land), the lever position will never be adjustable (unless you get a 99 caliper....). Worthless.

8. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

magura's work really well, i've used them for front and rear. I had the older model of the louis, i used an 8" rotor on the back and it worked really well, the only problem i had with it is that it would pump up, but that's cause the line is super long, and it could have used a good bleeding. but i use it on my freeride hardtail and it works just fine. Avids are nice, but so are magura's. the martas are a good brake, the louise fr are sick too. my buddy has those on his freeride hardtail, and i knew a guy who had them on his zebdi.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

all maguras pump up, with a 40 foot line or a 2 foot long line...three pulls and you are another inch away from the bar.

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Completely true but the weird thing is after running them front and rear for over a year and then going back to a rim brake with no pump I was a bit of a mess. I got so used to the pump it was weird to not have it. I used the Louises that were adjustable at the caliper so the pads would hit where you wanted them to and then I used the Martas and dialed the lever blades in towards the bar (which I do with any lever). I then set them up so that the first one or two pulls were a bit closer to the bar then what I like, but the third and rest of them were pumped up and right where I wanted the lever blade to be.

Wicked brakes if they would just not leak. I know a lot of huckers and what not are like leak? what leak? They are probably leaking but not enough to affect their braking, but when you are gapping down say 5 feet and across 8 you will know if you got oil on your rotor or not. For the front they aren't that bad. Throw some water on and it will be ok even with a bit of a leak. I know you don't want to hear it but at this point the Avids are next to untouchable.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

You definetely do get used to anything on your bike, even the pump.

12. felix

felix New Member

The new Louise is a good brake.
    The older generations had several problems, first of all the lever blades snapped very often. The Martha got the same problem, the lever blade comes loose and then it easily breaks off.
    Don't get an old Louise, they are crap!

The new Louise's design protects the lever blade better.
    Here in Germany the Louise is a very popular brake. Though many use the brake, I haven't heard any complaints regarding leaking of the new Louise.
    With the performance stock pads the brake is very powerful.

Whether you can pump the brake or not, depends on the mineral oil.
    Few years ago ALL magura discs had this problem.
    Then Magura changed from the green "blood" over to the blue "royal blood".
    The green oil had the viscosity 8, the new blue has the viscosity 5.
    With the blue oil there's no pumping at all!

What color is the Magura brake fluid in the US or Canada?
    Perhaps Magura uses another more viscous oil for the American market than for the brakes sold in Europe.

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

you can get blue, green or pink in america...blue is the most recommended.

14. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Ok, everyone, thanks for your assistance. Now how about the avid Juicy seven brakes. My problem is htat I just want to use a hydraulic system on both front and rear, not one on each. I'm running an HS33 in the rear no matter what anyone says to me, I've been using them for years and I prefer them over anything else for my own bike. So, any problems with the Juicy's?? Thanks again for all of the replies!
    ~Bruce Wagner

15. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Every person I've talked to that has owned Juicy's have leaked. They loved the performance, but it leaked almost like right out of the box it was so soon.

I have a Louise FR with an 8in disc up front. Mine hasn't leaked yet, so maybe I've gotten one of the fairy land ones. The bite with stock pads is great, till you start using it frequently, like braking after a commute then trying to do something to front wheel, it slips. I'de suggest switching out pads as soon as you get a Louise cause those pads take forever and a year to break in and well, it sucks to have slippage when they're "warmed up.

My lever is adjustable....well reach is atleast.....but everything sucked compared to my Hope DH4s, LOL. If you don't care about the weight, get those. Lever feel, didn't leak, no fade, and it had the best modulation I've ever felt in a brake.

16. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Also used a set of the Avid Juicies front and rear. 1 ride on the rear and 3 on the front before they leaked and were then warrantied and sold.

Hell, the Avid cables leak grease usually.

As for the Royal Blood I used that in my Martas and they pumped up absolutely no different than the regular oil. The pump is in the design, not the fluid.