Magellan Tucana frame?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ninja, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Ninja

Ninja New Member

How do you think this frame will handle urban?
    It is said to be very strong, not one has broken in Hungary, where almost every trials rider has this frame.

Here are the specs:
    Available in V-Brake or Magura version
    385mm chainstays
    2070g frame wheight
    Integrated headset
    Integrated 10mm strong CNC’d rear dropout
    0 drop BB
    72 (or 71) degree head angle
    1065-1070 wheelbase

It costs around 200$. What do you think about this geometry?
    Check out Magellan's site if you are interested. http://www.magellan.hu

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

sounds good. many would argue with the integrated headset, ive never had headset issues. ive never had an integrated headset.

3. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Well I managed to find the bike on that site all though it took me a while since my Hungarian isn't too good :ugh:

But I thought the frame was kind of ugly. just a thought. for that price though what can you expect. It is steal too right??? looks like it and is very heavy too.

I think the geo sounds reasonably good so I'm sure it rides fine for a beginner.

But if you are a very good rider it will not fullfill your desires.

My thoughts anyway.

4. Ninja

Ninja New Member

Yeah, I had a rough time finding it too :)
    It isn't the prettiest frame around, you got that right.
    It's not steel, it's 7005 aluminum. I'am just a begginer, but I am worried how would so short chainstays(15.15") affect the ride in urban evironment.
    I don't thin 4.56 lbs is too heavy, it's not like I'm going to compete on that frame

5. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Isn't that geo very similar to a 1065 pure? I've never ridden a pure. But I hear good things..

6. Evant

Evant Guest

integrated headsets suck. They feel like crud. Their also a liability for head tube strength, rather than beef up the frames head tube at it most vunerable points you end up having to shave a lot of material away from these points. It looks cool, but regular head tubes with a Chris King headset looker even cooler and run much more longer and feel better. (duh :slap: )

I will never ride another integrated frame of any sort ever again until they serve Bombay Saphire martini's in hell. And notjust any bombay saphire martini I want one with 1/16th oz. sweet and 1/16th oz. dry Cinzani vermouth with a two blu cheese stuffed olives. only then will I ride another integrated headset frame on any type of bike; road, XC, trials, TT etc.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Integrated suck....the headset on those are INTERNAL. Again, more confusion, by lack of information....

I've seen TONS of ovalized headtubes with KING HEADSETS in there. or ANY standard headset for that matter, but TOTAL internal headsets I've seen ovalized....none. Not saying there isn't one, I've just never seen one.

8. Paul

Paul Guest

I have a Magellan tucana (the 2003 model) and it`s a ncie ride,very solid frame too,never heard of one breaking.

[​IMG]

That`s my bike :p
    I`m getting the 2004 version by the end of the week,so I`ll get some pics hopefully.

Ninja,go ahead and get a Tucana,I`ve had mine for a year and still no sign of any weakness or whatever.Get the 2003 model for more streety stuff or the 2004 for UCI riding (15mm chainstays,+20mm wheelbase on the 2004). :bigthumb:

9. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

15mm chainstays, that is short.

10. Paul

Paul Guest

:D I meant 15mm shorter ,sorry .

11. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

its ok i think we all knew due to the +20mm wheelbase you typed.

12. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

INTERNAL or INTEGRATED whatever. doesnt matter if you capitalize them or not, they still are not as good as a normal high quality conventional headset. it doesnt matter how many times me or anyone else posts this, people will still defend internal headsets... they ovalize just as easily as regular ones- only difference is there are fewer out there so you dont hear of as many cases of it happening. nevermind.

the frame looks just dandy for urban riding and im sure it would work well for natural too. if none have broken so far that is probably a darn good sign of their strength.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

$200? fuck, that is reaon enough to buy it.

14. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

I'm not saying integrated headsets are cool or anything. I have one on my equip and its not exactly the smoothest headset really i don't care. I'm not worried about crisp, smooth steering on my trials bike...it just looks really cool...

15. Paul

Paul Guest

[​IMG]

The 2004 one . Only this colour available.I`ll post pics of it built up in a week or so ...

I haven`t had any problems with the headset,and I`ve been runing an internal headset for ... errrmm .. 2 years and a half .. the same headset all the way through.It`s some cheap-o Cane Creek one,it was smth like 15 USD

16. Elan

Elan steve french

who fucking cares about the headset, seriously... if it fucks upm it was $200 frame, whoopppeee. if i would have known i would have saved myself $150 a year ago, and probably still have been riding hte same frame today.

17. Paul

Paul Guest

18. Ninja

Ninja New Member

The green one is beautiful, I'm definitley going to buy this frame.
    The welds look really nice.
    I even have a green handlebar that should match this color.
    Hey, KrazyKID do you if Magellan has a dealer in Croatia?

19. Paul

Paul Guest

Ninja,dunno if there`s a croatian dealer ... but if you`re in Croatia,it`s not TOO far take the car for a drive to Hungary,is it ? Almost every LBS has magellans in stock there. 46 000 ft ,in the local currency.

20. d

d Guest

Hi, I'm a Hungarian trials rider!
    I just wanna say this frame is a piece of sh*t!!! I had the 2001 version and broke it after 3 months! My friends have the 2002 and 2003 version and also broke them!!! Avoid it if you can!