Magazine Article

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by mikeschiavone, Dec 1, 2004.

1. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

What would you guys want to see in a trials article? how to's? events?

tell me, i need to know.

thanks for any and all of your thoughts

2. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

events would prolly be outdated by the time it came out (unless whoever is writing it is REAL good) I think how to's (mechanical tips, riding tips, etc.) are a good start. Scene reports, locations for dope riding, etc. Bios of riders is always pretty cool in such a small community...

3. mikeschiavone

awesome, thanks dan.

keep the thoughts coming.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

mechanical tips is a must. depending on hte magazine, like if its somthing like mtb action, any one looking into getting into trials has no idea where to start for the most part. if its in somthing more grassroots like dirtrag or somthing, national/local events, local scenes, tech tips, pro riders bike set ups or someshit like that

5. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

Why not start by bringing some kind of corruption into the scene...discuss performance enhancing drugs, their phisological and social effects within the trials community.

It might be beneficial to mention this site (depending on the publication, perhaps Bill could flow you a full membership ;))

Objectively discuss differences between UCI and BIU rules, bike setup and handling traits.

...the North American scene, hot spots, types of terrain, competitions.

...how to properly pimp Pumas and 3/4 pants

...the most effective way to get your bike run over while riding in the city.

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I actually straightened that bike out and the rear wheel sits fine in there now.

7. mikeschiavone

roman's the man...

but please, lets kinda keep this on topic. im trying to get as many ideas as i can.

8. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

serious... write about what you're interested in, otherwise it's going to become a really boring article...

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

How much contact have you had with this magazine and how much page space do you think they'll dedicate to it?

I think it'd be great to mention a few short scene reports in the U.S. so they know where the hot spots are and then ways that people interested in trials can find more information/get in touch with their locals.

I also think a short picture tutorial of how to trackstand or backhop or ride up and over or onto a large obstacle or something similar along those lines may pique some people's interests and at least give them something to try, if they try it and enjoy it then they may look into the sport further... and that is what we're really after, right?

Do you think there is a chance that they may ask you to write follow-up articles? It may be cool to have a short trials tutorial every month.

As for the rest of the article, I think you've already got a good bearing on it... what I read was quite interesting.

Bill

10. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

Where beginners can get a real trials bike like trialsin or faction and maybe the differences between mod and stock and of course some sexy photos of that hot new male model mike schiavone. possibly topless.

11. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

How to's, product reviews, hot spots to ride

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

You def. need a drinking contest spread. Done at high elevations only.

13. mikeschiavone

andrew, ill write an article for BREW about the correlation between beer and trials.

14. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

:rofl:

15. mikeschiavone

16. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

:werd:

I think you should do an in depth bio on Tex Avery.

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I think an article in say Decline would be a good place to start...atleast the people who read that have some sort of clue of what MTBing is other than XC and road riding....

18. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

Better yet, wearing just some of those 180's ear warmers. Ooh Mike.

19. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Don't just write where the hot spots are for trials. Let people know that there are websites where they can hook up with other locals.

If you simply write that the Denver Metro area and the Bay Area are the hottest spots, a lot of people who are curious about trials but don't live in either of those places will stop reading.

And in terms of the how-to section. What got me initially into trials was seeing people hop on their rear wheel. I think that's still the thing that most impresses people that stop to watch me.

And if this is a one-time feature in a magazine, maybe include a history of trials and tie that in with current events?