loosening wheel?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by roger04, Jun 15, 2004.

1. roger04

roger04 Guest

When I land on my wheel or maybe do a back wheel hop, my spokes makes sounds like "tang...". Is this normal or do u think the spokes r unscrewing itself:down: ?

Thanks,
    Roger

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Sounds like it's probably your chain. Check chain tension, if you're on mod, move the wheel back a tad in the horizontal dropouts so that the chain is fairly tight (but loose enough so that you can still push down on it with your finger). If it's not your chain, then check your spoke tension. Make sure it's all fairly tight, and nothing is moving a lot. After that, then it could be a bit of loose metal inside of your rim? :dunno: Take off your tyre and tube and see if there is anything inside of there that's causing the noise.

3. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Wheels sometimes make those sounds when they are new and the spokes are stretching. But they shouldn't do it unless some off the spokes are crazy loose.

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Cor is right...is the wheel new? My new front makes some happy noises, but they stop after a while.

If it isn't new, and this has just started to happen- make sure to check the spoke tension, if you don't know how to do this there are some good online tutorials...or you can just take it to your local shop. FYI a new wheel takes time to set, after a week or two of riding take it back to the truing stand to straighten it out- btw what kind of wheel/ spokes/ nipples?

5. roger04

roger04 Guest

Cor, Andrew, it's new ! :) Glad to hear your reply. Yup, I need to go back to the shop to true it the wheel.

I have a cheap wheel. Andrew, can u tell me is the kinds of spokes/nipples?