Looking to ride!

Discussion in 'Mountain States' started by PJL, Jun 22, 2004.

1. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Hey all,

I just arrived in Littleton last night and will be here until next Monday. If anyone is nearby or has some rides organized somewhat close to here, I would love to hear about it. I brought my trials bike and my hardtail and my friend who I'm staying with has his hardtail so if there are any trail rides going on we'd like to know. Oh, also, if you know of any good trails in the area let us know; last year we found some a huge field of dirtjumps in the area and hit that up.

Also, I will be down in Colorado Springs Thursday/Fri/Sat for the Pikes Peak hillclimb but will be free most of those days in the afternoon. I saw the contact list in the thread on this page also but I figured I'd get a better response if I posted instead of emailing people.

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Patrick

Patrick New Member

There is a ride tonight at confluence park. see the post about afternoon rides.

7:00.
    Take 6th east to I-25 North. Exit 23rd Ave/Water St. Veer right upon exiting highway. Parkin lot is half a mile down on your right. We ride under the bridge. call if you're lost. 303-359-4543

3. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Peter,
    I work on Pikes Peak (Mtn Bike Guide) so maybe I'll see you up there! There's some incredible riding up there too, however access is tricky. I know I'm allowed to ride there, because of the permit from work, but usually bikes are not allowed near the road at all. So for now I might just have to keep the endless alpine and sub alpine boulder fields to myself.

Also, I live in Manitou (where the most racers and spectators stay for the race), so I'm assuming you'll be close to where I live. Let me know where you are staying.

Saturday we are doing Demos for Colorado Springs Bike week, but I figure you'll be on the peak anyway. Sunday the Colorado Springs crew will head to Gunnison for a competition (about 3:30 hours away). You'd be welcome to car pool with us.

I'm free consistently after 1:00 pm every day, so call me.. 719 963 4072

Pancho

4. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Patrick, I might try to make it there tonight. Actually, I will try to make it there, I don't think we have anything planned for this evening.

Pancho, that's awesome, we were just reading some trail reviews at mtbr and saw one about PP, you get off at Elk Park or something and it's a 7000ft descent down to manitou springs i think. Any info? Here's the link:

http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/Colorado/,Pikes,Peak/PRD_166729_4533crx.aspx

Last year we tried riding our bikes down from the summit, made it about 2-3 miles before getting pulled over by some ranger. I hit about 30mph on my trials bike before I had to reel it in, it was really unstable above that speed!

What's the deal with that comp? How much is it, etc... I've never done a comp, that would be awesome to hit one up while I'm out here. Let me know.

5. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Yeah, Elk Park is really fun. ENDLESS woops. I'm pretty sure your tires are in the air more often than not. Unfortunately, the old connector trail, Severy Creek, is closed right now. There are other ways to do the ride though, they are lots of fun too.

I know its late notice, but we are riding tonight if you are in town. We'll ride from 6:30 to 9 or so. Call me.

Pancho

6. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Hey Pancho,

Just saw your message. I'm not down in the Springs yet but I will be on Friday. I probably won't have internet access down there so I'll give you a ring when I get there/am ready to ride.

Do you think riding that trail is realistic for myself and my friend w/o using a guide? It sounds like a hoot!
    Peter

7. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Its not too bad if you guys know what you're doing. Start early, get a map (I recomend the Pikes Peak Atlas), carry rain gear, food, etc... you should be fine.